Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Stiletto (The Checquy Files, #2)
This topic is about Stiletto
Book Issues > Lots of corrections & deletions required for single book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Lurie (davidalurie) | 15 comments Hi,

I'm not sure what has been going on, but Stiletto now has 13 editions, many of which don't (and won't) exist

The correct editions (and dates) are:
Audio, 14th June, published by Hachette Audio - Global (white cover only)
Paperback, 16th June, published by Head of Zeus, UK only (green cover)
Note: no other paperback editions have been announced yet
Hardcover, 14th June, published by Little, Brown & Company - US only (white cover)
Note: no other hardback editions have been announced yet
Kindle Edition, 2nd June, published by Head of Zeus - Global (one edition per cover)
eBook, 2nd June, published by Head of Zeus - Global (one edition per cover - I also haven't been able to work out if there's an eBook edition at all or if it's exclusive to Kindle for now)

Other than those 7 editions (5 books but the eBook and Kindle versions have different US and Europe covers) there aren't any others available, as far as I've been able to find, and it's all such a mess (and requires deletions of many editions) that it's something a super-librarian will have to do. Someone has already corrected the first published date to 2nd June, which is correct.

message 2: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20801 comments Maybe those editions aren't announced, but all that are currently on Goodreads have an isbn or ASIN. Just because no information can be found for some of them, doesn't mean they should be deleted.

David Lurie (davidalurie) | 15 comments Arenda wrote: "Maybe those editions aren't announced, but all that are currently on Goodreads have an isbn or ASIN. Just because no information can be found for some of them, doesn't mean they should be deleted."

Aren't some of them duplicate ISBNs? Seperate ASINs (unlike ISBNs) isn't a good reason to have a book kept as there are plenty of examples (including this book) where a book appears twice on Amazon (so has two ASINs) but one is available (and correct) and the other version doesn't exist, or where Amazon has listed items that are "permanently unavailable" because they don't exist.

message 4: by Emy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Valid ASINs are for Kindle and Audible editions of works, which do not have ISBNs. Goodreads doesn't allow duplicate ISBNs into the system.

Can you show exactly which editions you believe are the duplicates, and which other edition(s) they are duplicating?

message 5: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments It is not possible to add duplicate ISBN's to GR (in the cases where it's necessary, the first book entered gets the ISBN, and subsequent editions get a note pointing to the first). The only time duplicate ISBN entries can exist is where the ISBN 10 and 13 have been put on two different entries. For this book, all the entries with an ISBN10 have their corresponding ISBN13 entered, and the remainder have only the ISBN13 (which is fine). So no, there are no duplicates.

As far as the ASIN's, if the ASIN's are valid, they may be for a different store. While ASIN's were originally intended to be unique and for the same product to have the same ASIN for all stores, in practice that doesn't always happen. An ASIN could be "permanently unavailable" in the US store and the .co.uk, but work fine for .co.jp and .co.in and de.

David Lurie (davidalurie) | 15 comments Ah. Are all the ASINs valid? As far as I'm aware, the publisher for most versions of the book changed relatively late on in the process (although I suspect one is a subsidiary of the other) meaning that there may be some ASINs that were replaced by the others (but of course the goodreads database wouldn't automatically know if some had been withdrawn)

David Lurie (davidalurie) | 15 comments Sorry Emy, I missed your comment. I think the duplicates are the ones not listed above - namely, all the electronic versions (including but not exclusively kindle) that are listed as being published by little, brown and company

David Lurie (davidalurie) | 15 comments Sorry, I meant to add that electronic versions included audiobooks

message 9: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments All the ASIN's lead to a live Kindle edition somewhere. One is .com.au only, one is only on .fr, but they are all valid, yes.

message 10: by David (last edited Jun 08, 2016 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Lurie (davidalurie) | 15 comments So in that case it might just be the incorrect publishers listed on a few of the eBooks/audiobooks, but that's something I can check and fix myself since no deleting is required. Thank you for your help, everyone!