Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Blog Suggestions, What would you like to see

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
A slight slow week last week on the Blog as I was catching up on work after Holidays but back on track now with a few posts/
Just adding a thread here for members to add any ideas they might have for Blog posts they'd like to see (or contribute)
Remember any member can submit for the Blog . Thanks to Kimberley for the review of Uprooted posted today , and all other members who've helped so far.
Also posts or ideas can be emailed to -
dragonsandjetpacks@gmail.com

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
One idea I'm toying with is an author spotlight with members writing a post about their favourite author giving stuff like how they discovered them, what they like about them and some interesting stuff on the author.
I might do a Pratchett one after the interesting chats about the author this week.
Anyone else any ideas or an author they'd love to highlight let me know

message 3: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Just a note as well that submissions to the blog follow the same rules as the forum in terms of self promotion etc

message 4: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
I was thinking of doing a blog post about Iain Banks. Not sure when I'll get time though...

message 5: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I'd love to read that whenever you manage it. I love Banks , although I've read more of his non Culture books so I'd be interested in seeing what you have to say on them.

message 6: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I can do another recommends I'd you want Paul, sorry that it's been a while, been busy with papers for school etc

message 7: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Understandable Lancer. Hopefully as time goes on we will have lots of contributors making it fun and easy :-)

message 8: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1884 comments Mod
I very much like the idea of an author spotlight series.

How about "My favourite fantasy/sci fi Universe" (e.g. Harry Potter/Middle Earth/Cosmere) with a brief description of what's there/how it works, and why you love it.

message 9: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Another great idea.I'd love someone to lay out the Cosmere for me. :-)

message 10: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "One idea I'm toying with is an author spotlight with members writing a post about their favourite author giving stuff like how they discovered them, what they like about them and some interesting s..."

Brandon Sanderson!!!

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1131 comments Favourite supporting characters.
Books are full of characters that have only small parts but which have interesting characters or back stories. My favourite is provably Pratchett's Luggage.

message 12: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Thats a great idea. A brief biography of support characters is a great idea

message 13: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I might set up a template for author Bios to make it easy for people to write posts. Then I might do similar for character profiles.
It should make it a lot easier for people to submit posts as well as keeping the posts themselves uniform.

message 14: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Great idea Paul

message 15: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Leave it with me and I'll set up something.

message 16: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Just a small suggestion in terms of blog admin - it might be a good idea to limit to one post a day - I see there has been 3 today. Perhaps leave a day in between?

It stops people getting fed up with emails (sadly it happens), and also means you have longer to get more content up, rather than loads of posts then a big empty gap.

message 17: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Good point. I got a bit over zealous today as I had time. Is there a way to set up a post and schedule it to publish or something similar.

message 18: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yep, if you use the advanced WP admin rather than the basic, there should be a schedule option on the sidebar with all the tags and stuff. :)

message 19: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Brilliant. Will do.

message 20: by Milou (new)

Milou | 486 comments I think it's in the basic WP as well (or I unknowingly have the advanced one). Mine is set in Dutch, but its right next to (what i guess in English is) the publish button.

message 21: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

It could be! It's definitely by the publish button on advanced :)

message 22: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2824 comments Mod
Favorite author or series or universe -- I like that. Or under-rated/undiscovered series/authors.

I can send you reviews if you want, or photos of my sci-fi-themed cakes.

I know Blogger lets you set a future time to post posts.

message 23: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Scifi cakes would be brilliant Freya did fantast baking so they would be a nice continuation . As would any reviews be great. :-)

message 24: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1812 comments Mod
I have a half-finished post on SF and Fantasy books of my childhood that I need to finish :)

Plus in a similar vein, I'm sure given that we have parents in the group there's a role for recommendations of SF and Fantasy for children?

message 25: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I finished a book with our little fella last night called Aliens Love Underpants. Scifi at its best :-)

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick | 110 comments My kids both loved Dr. Xargles Book of Earthlets, and Book of Earth Tiggers. ;)

For fantasy, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie is always a favourite.

message 27: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Totally could set up a template for favourite sci-fi/fantasy film to pop in occasionally.

message 28: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Freya wrote: "Plus in a similar vein, I'm sure given that we have parents in the group there's a role for recommendations of SF and Fantasy for children?"

Good idea. I have done pretty well at indoctrinating my kids with sci fi and fantasy.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 427 comments Paul wrote: "Scifi cakes would be brilliant Freya did fantast baking so they would be a nice continuation . As would any reviews be great. :-)"

yes to cakes! sci fi cakes even better!

message 30: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1811 comments Audrey wrote: "I can send you reviews if you want, or photos of my sci-fi-themed cakes."

CAKE!!!! Would love to see these Audrey!

message 31: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Thanks to Audrey there will be a post very soon :-)
They look amazing.
If you weren't US based I'd be pestering you for a birthday cake

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Audrey wrote: "Good idea. I have done pretty well at indoctrinating my kids with sci fi and fantasy."

One of my proudest parental moments came earlier in the year when my kids were playing upstairs when all of a sudden I heard my six year old yell out, "To the Tardis!"

message 33: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1747 comments Paul wrote: "I finished a book with our little fella last night called Aliens Love Underpants. Scifi at its best :-)"

That sounds so fun! I wish there were books like that when I was a child. :)

message 34: by Shawnie (last edited Jun 09, 2016 10:16AM) (new)

Shawnie | 1747 comments I just emailed my first book review. :D I hope it's not ridiculous.

message 35: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Veronica wrote: "Audrey wrote: "Good idea. I have done pretty well at indoctrinating my kids with sci fi and fantasy."

One of my proudest parental moments came earlier in the year when my kids were playing upstair..."

My now-six-year-old's earliest words included "Doc Who" and "Targis."

I'll send some more cake pictures soon; I have to get some off my camera still.

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments That's awesome, Audrey. :-)

message 37: by James (new)

James Devo | 17 comments Audrey wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Audrey wrote: "Good idea. I have done pretty well at indoctrinating my kids with sci fi and fantasy."

One of my proudest parental moments came earlier in the year when my kids wer..."

I got a high five from one of the carers at after-school club this week because he discovered my 6 year old daughter loves the Goonies. He then tried testing her knowledge... BIG mistake...

(I'm very pleased she'd rather be Stef from the Goonies - or Hermione - than a Princess.)

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments As long as we're raising the next generation of sensible, courteous, and imaginative science fiction and fantasy lovers, there is hope for the world. ;-)

message 39: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

My 16-year-old has bonded with a girl over Doctor Who. It's his first crush.

Loved Goonies -- I got to see Sean Astin in person last year at Comic Con. He's close my age.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What if you post reviews from several people for the same book?

message 40: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
Oh the first crush.... to be young again

message 41: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Good idea Audrey!

message 42: by James (new)

James Devo | 17 comments I've been posting the playlist I wrote my first book to on my blog - 10 songs a week - with links to the songs on YouTube. (I should've done it on Spotify probably.)

I've also seen reviews with "I was listening to this while reading this", which I quite like too.

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Audrey wrote: "What if you post reviews from several people for the same book? "

It might even be cooler to have two opposing reviews, one that raves/likes and one that's more along the "meh!" response.

message 44: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Veronica wrote: "Audrey wrote: "What if you post reviews from several people for the same book? "

It might even be cooler to have two opposing reviews, one that raves/likes and one that's more along the "meh!" res..."

Right -- contrasting opinions would be interesting.

Also, I am a copy editor, so let me know if you want help in that area.

message 45: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Good plan. We just need to get the reviews in. I wrote a nasty review of Retribution falls if anyone wants to counter it ( or the other BOTM reviews )

message 46: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Paul wrote: "Good plan. We just need to get the reviews in. I wrote a nasty review of Retribution falls if anyone wants to counter it ( or the other BOTM reviews )"

I'm sure Sir Lancer will take you up on that.

message 47: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Just kidding on that one . I loved the book :-)

message 48: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

How about a re-read serial - choose a book and cover a few chapters every week. Provide a summary, how it fits into the story overall etc,

Perhaps a highly rated book read by the group back in its first year for example.

message 49: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Would be a great idea for a long book all right

message 50: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Would be a great idea for a long book all right"

I'd say Malazaan, that's long enough :)

Who wants to depart on that epic journey :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.