Diverse SFF Book Club discussion

June > New members, introduce yourselves!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naz (new)

Naz (Read Diverse Books) (xsorenx) | 33 comments Mod
Hello and welcome to the Diverse SFF Book Club!

My name is Nazahet Hernandez, but you can call me Naz. I am the blogger behind Read Diverse Books and the moderator of this Goodreads group.

I started this book club because I have loved speculative fiction all my life and because leading this group means I can support both SFF and diverse authors. I was born to be a part of this club. :)

I'm thrilled to start reading science fiction and fantasy with a group of people who love the genres as much as I do.

Please introduce yourselves and leave a link to your blog or Twitter account so we can follow you.

Thank you for joining the Diverse SFF Book Club.
Watch this space for future updates, polls, and interesting discussions.

-Naz

message 2: by Gisele (new)

Gisele Walko | 1 comments I'm Gisele. I'm a writer, wife, and mother of 2 in Oklahoma.The Vampire and the Necromancer: An out of Sequence Love Story and Wolf Girl finds necRomance are my books. They're both standalones. I like the vampire one. My Twitter account is Gisele_Walko Looking forward to discussing and discovering new books.

message 3: by Del (new)

Del | 5 comments Hi! I'm Del. I have always enjoyed reading reading speculative fiction centered around people of color and LGBT protagonists, and hope to get some suggestions of new books to read.

message 4: by Ioana (new)

Ioana (ioana-books) | 3 comments Hi! I'm Ioana and I'm here because I follow Naz's blog and it's pretty much blowing my mind. I love sci-fi and so very much look forward to diversifying the voices I read in this genre.

Also, I'm a math teacher in DC Public Schools, and I blog about books at http://booksreenchanted.com

message 5: by Naz (new)

Gisele wrote: "I'm Gisele. I'm a writer, wife, and mother of 2 in Oklahoma.The Vampire and the Necromancer: An out of Sequence Love Story and Wolf Girl finds necRomance are my book..."

Hi, Gisele! Glad to have a writer of speculative fiction on board. We need more creators like you to keep writing. Thank you very much for all you do.

message 6: by Naz (new)

Del wrote: "Hi! I'm Del. I have always enjoyed reading reading speculative fiction centered around people of color and LGBT protagonists, and hope to get some suggestions of new books to read."

Del, you're in the right place! Have you voted for the book of the month yet? There are polls here and in my blog.

message 7: by Del (new)

Del | 5 comments Naz wrote: "Del wrote: "Hi! I'm Del. I have always enjoyed reading reading speculative fiction centered around people of color and LGBT protagonists, and hope to get some suggestions of new books to read."

De..."
I picked The Gilda Stories

message 8: by Ioana (new)

Ioana (ioana-books) | 3 comments Hi Gisele, Del, Melanie, and Erin! Welcome :-)

Gisele, so wonderful to meet a fantasy/sci-fi writer, very excited to be reading with you!

Del, I very much look forward to also grabbing recommendations from you and the group.

Melanie, thank you for sharing your blog - just followed, and look forward to chatting bookish things both here and there :)

Erin, thank you for your recommendation of The Queue, it sounds simply fascinating and just like my kind of book, I just ordered it!

Happy Reading!

message 9: by Del (new)

Del | 5 comments Ioana: I have read SO many books. Working on remembering which I have read and putting them on goodreads.

message 10: by Naz (new)

Melanie wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Melanie, or Mel for short. I blog at orangejuiceedits.wordpress.com and I'm from Wales in the UK.

I love diversity in books and I want to read more, especially books about and/or ..."

Hi, Melanie! Glad to see you join the book club.
I have not read any books with deaf or hearing impaired protagonists. Thanks for reminding me that I should, though. I will look out for some and let you know if I find any great ones you may not have heard of.

message 11: by Naz (new)

Erin wrote: "Hi All,

I am Erin from Berlin, I have been a verocious reader all my life, but about 2 years ago I became painfully aware that most of my reading material came from white male middle class author..."

Hi, Erin.
Have you read any Speculative Fiction by Indigenous authors? If so, please let us know. I would love to add such a book for the next month's poll.

message 12: by Sammie (new)

Sammie Hi everyone! I'm Sammie.

I'm here because I love SFF books and I'm hoping to pick up some great recs for diverse fantasy and sci-fi. I'd especially like to read some more books featuring disabled or LGBT+ protagonists. :) I also follow Naz's blog and thought that this was a great idea!

I blog about YA books over at Bookshelves and Biros and I tweet at @sammie_101.

Lovely to meet you all, I look forward to chatting SFF! :)

message 13: by Bina (new)

Bina (ifyoucanreadthis) | 3 comments Hi all! I'm Bina, a German WoC grad student blogging at ifyoucanreadthis.wordpress.com. I'm following Naz wherever he goes :D But also love SFF especially since I discovered the awesome diversity of writer such as Okorafor.

Erin, have you read Daniel Heath Justice? Have his Way of Thorn and Thunder in my nightstand, fantastic decolonial indigenous fantasy.The author is Cherokee.

message 14: by Del (new)

Del | 5 comments Have his way of thorn and thunder looks really good! I plan to read it!

message 15: by Del (new)

Del | 5 comments Erin wrote: That looks like a good resource. I look forward to reading some of those.
I have seen some Pilipino science fiction/horror movies and found them to be very entertaining.

"Hi All,

I found this guide to Filipino SciFi and thought I'd share it :)

https://vrocampo.com/2014/05/05/a-sho..."

message 16: by Naz (new)

Ailean wrote: "Hello Erin. Here is a couple of recommendations to get you started.
The Swan Book by Alexis Wright (2013)
That Deadman Dance by Kim Scott (2010)"

I've heard great and fascinating things about the Swan Book. It's getting mixed reviews, though some absolutely love it. My interest has been positively piqued.

message 17: by Anya (new)

Anya (starsanddragons) | 5 comments *waves* Hi everyone, I just heard of this group and had to join instantly. I love sff and have a huge passion for finding diverse books since I just find them to be more creative and interesting most of the time! If you are ever looking for recommendations, I have a shelf devoted to every diverse sff that I have/want to read :). I blog over at http://www.starsanddragons.com and Twitter is OnStarshipsBlog. I would love to find more people to chat with! <3

message 18: by Bhavya (last edited Jun 25, 2016 09:20PM) (new)

Bhavya  (saibiscus) | 2 comments Hi! I'm Bhavya. I'm an Indian (of the Asian variety not the American) who lives in the US. I love SFF and even more so if they have diversity! I blog at http://booksncalm.com and my twitter is @booksncalm. I love talking to people about books so come & talk to me! :D

A book rec I have for a diverse SFF is the Micah Grey series (who features a bisexual intersex mc) and False Hearts (who features two interracial bisexual mcs). Both are by Laura Lam (who is bi)

message 19: by Anya (new)

Anya (starsanddragons) | 5 comments I'm starting False Hearts next!!!!

message 20: by Naz (new)

Anya wrote: "*waves* Hi everyone, I just heard of this group and had to join instantly. I love sff and have a huge passion for finding diverse books since I just find them to be more creative and interesting mo..."

Wow, your blog is beautiful and so lively! I added you to my WordPress blog feeds.
So glad to have you on board :D

message 21: by Naz (new)

Bhavya (Books N' Calm) wrote: "Hi! I'm Bhavya. I'm an Indian (of the Asian variety not the American) who lives in the US. I love SFF and even more so if they have diversity! I blog at http://booksncalm.com and my twitter is @boo..."

Hi, Bhavya! I followed you back on Twitter. :]
I definitely need to read more #ownvoices LGBT SFF. I didn't even know who Laura Lam was!
Thanks so much for the recommendations.

message 22: by Naz (new)

Nek0 Neha wrote: "Good Morning Book Mateys!

My name is Neha and I found my way here (finally)! I'm a huge aficionado of science-fiction and fantasy. It's one of my top three genres that I never ever get bored of; J..."

Oh, you're doing a dual major? Very impressive! You must be very strapped for time, then. But I assume you're in summer break?
Thanks for joining us :)

message 23: by Shay (new)

Shay (shayshortt) | 3 comments Hi all! I'm Shay, and I blog at Required Reading
I'm a librarian by education, as well as a Canadian living in the US.
I read widely, but I have a special love for SFF, and diverse representation, so this book club is like a match made in heaven for me. I just finished our first book, and can't wait to talk about it with you.

message 24: by Annie (new)

Annie (iliveandbreathewords) (iliveandbreathewords) | 1 comments Hi everyone. My name is Annie. I'm 21, bi, and I love to read. I have a Youtube channel that I need to get better at keeping up with (http://youtube.com/user/iliveandbreat...), a twitter that's about the same (http://twitter.com/annieloveswords), and a blog I just started that hopefully I'll update more frequently (http://iliveandbreathewords.wordpress...). I also have my personal twitter that I update far more often (http://twitter.com/bivanessaives) as well as my Tumblr (bisexualvanessaives.tumblr.com) & Instagram (instagram.com/annieloveswords). I live in NY, USA (not the city, though). I obviously love to read. Fantasy is my favorite genre and I've been meaning to get more into scifi. I also want to read more diverse books than I do so I'm sure this group will help me to find books with more diversity in my favorite genre. :)

message 25: by Naz (new)

Annie wrote: "Hi everyone. My name is Annie. I'm 21, bi, and I love to read. I have a Youtube channel that I need to get better at keeping up with (http://youtube.com/user/iliveandbreat...), a twitter that's..."

Hi, Annie. You sure are all over social media aren't you!? Just like the rest of us :D
I hope you had the chance to buy and read Sorcerer to the Crown, if so, can you share your thoughts with us in the oppropriate thread? I loved the book!

message 26: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 5 comments Hello from Maryland! I'm Evelyn and I blog at Highly Textured Librarian. I'm a big fan of Octavia E. Butler and I also enjoy Nnedi Okorafor, Daniel J. Older and Ted Chiang.

message 27: by Naz (last edited Jul 17, 2016 09:35PM) (new)

Evelyn wrote: "Hello from Maryland! I'm Evelyn and I blog at Highly Textured Librarian. I'm a big fan of Octavia E. Butler and I also enjoy Nnedi Okorafor, Daniel J. Older and Ted Chiang."

Hi, Evelyn! Glad to have you on board :)
Are you enjoying the Ballad of Black Tom? It's a short book so perhaps you have finished it already! Hope to discuss it with you once I read it as well.

Resh (The Book Satchel) (thebooksatchel) Hi. I am Resh Susan. I read fantasy but not much of science fiction. I think it would be great to explore diverse books in that category. I blog at http://www.thebooksatchel.com and run a daily blog on Instagram at www.instagram.com/thebooksatchel.

Also, Naz has this amazing energy when he talks about books he loves. SO I guess this group would help me add a few good books to my reading list. Really excited to be reading Nnedi with all

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wayne Williams | 1 comments I'm Kevin Wayne Williams, author of "Everything I Know about Zombies, I Learned in Kindergarten". I tend to read a mix of fairly hard science fiction and relatively soft sociologically-oriented speculative fiction. Die-hard Samuel R. Delany fan. You can find my blog at www.motthavenbooks.com.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam Hey. I started a blog about diverse culture (music/books/films) in 2013. By the read women 2014 I was outraged people don't call for diversity in reading and try to just read more of 1 instead of 2. I still think that more diverse reading is a must. I'm trying to read diverse books from various years and countries. It's not a problem, it's natural for me, I love different angles and perspectives. I'm trying to make a sff project of reading a story/book from each country. Can't wait to start it. ;) If it would have LGBT characters, the better. Any ideas?

message 31: by Elisa (new)

Elisa (winthernovels) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Elisa and I'm a fantasy writer (currently working on my first novella). I love speculative fiction, especially fast paced fantasy with diverse characters, complex themes and rich world-building. My favorite authors are Octavia E. Butler and Corinne Duyvis.

message 32: by Susan-Alia (last edited Sep 07, 2017 08:08PM) (new)

Susan-Alia Terry (susanaliaterry) | 1 comments Hello all! My name is Susan, I'm an author and queer, woc. My first novel Coming Darkness is a paranormal fantasy containing diverse pansexual characters. I'm excited to meet others who share my interest in diverse LGBT fantasy/sci fi and look forward to discovering new books! You can find me here: susanaliaterry.com or on twitter @susan_alia.

message 33: by Rori (new)

Rori (roriiv) | 1 comments Hi! ^^

I'm Rori - an author, immigrant, loudmouth, a bisexual. I use all pronouns except "he".
I have been trying to find more diverse SFF books for years! I'm so glad this group exists.

My own book Republic's Chosen is filled with diverse characters: a Persian/Slavic bisexual protag, an African American pan best friend, plus many other LGBTQ+ identities, all represented across cultures.

I can't wait to see how other authors have handled diversity, especially in own-voices books!

message 34: by Simone (new)

Simone S.  (londondaking) | 3 comments Hiya I'm Simone and I love reading science fiction/fantasy books! This group sounded amazing from the blurb and I knew I had to join. I'm currently working on my fantasy novel as well so I'm always looking to mingle with fellow readers and writers. Looking forward to lots of fun with everyone! My twitter is @LondonDaKing and my writing blog is www.elldeeking.wordpress.com. 😄

message 35: by Lena (new)

Lena Fickle (unicronq) Hello. I'm Dustin. I'm asexual, agender, and autistic. I also have general and social anxiety disorder and depression. I enjoy all types of science fiction, fantasy, and some horror. My favorite authors are Ken Liu, NK Jemisin, and Seanan McGuire. I love a lot of the tor.com novellas as well as Uncanny Magazine. I'm kind of a slow reader, though. I've been trying to listen to more audiobooks to make up for it.

message 36: by Lena (new)

Lena Fickle (unicronq) Oh, forgot to put my Twitter account. I am @unicronQ

message 37: by Simone (new)

Simone S.  (londondaking) | 3 comments Welcome Dustin! It's nice to have a fellow ace here!

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay | 1 comments Hello! I'm Kay. I'm new to GR and the online book community in general. I don't have a twitter but feel free to stop by my profile. Currently updating so you might want to hold off following/friending to make sure our book tastes complement another. Thanks and can't wait to do stuff with y'all!

message 39: by Rilee (new)

Rilee Moulton | 1 comments Hi, all!
I am new to GR. I love to read SFF. As an agender, asexual/demisexual super queer—I am always looking for queer and POC authors and protagonists.
Thanks,
Rilee