Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read - End of Watch > Group Read - End of Watch pages 1- 117 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments The first topic segment for the book End of Watch by Stephen King, chapters to come, With 448 pages in the book, each segment will likely be around 90-100 pages, breakdown to come.
The first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion - thanks. Spoilers welcome on this topic.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Just to check, is this 'Blackish' ch. 7? I have ch.7 and the beginning of chapter 8 on this page.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments I haven't finished this series of pages yet but I'm on pg.94 and it seems Hartsfied has an ability of telekinesis... It seems this isn't his only new abity! Going to carry on reading, but it all seems a bit strange - certainly don't remember such things in the first two books. Anyway, will keep going.

message 4: by Anne (last edited Jun 12, 2016 03:06PM) (new)

Anne | 139 comments Summary
April 10th - re-tells the incident, from the previous book, of the immediate aftermath of Hartsfield's attack at the job fair told through the eyes of the ambulance crew.

Z January 2016
Ch. 1-6 = Introduced to (Kermit) Bill Hodges (hero of the previous books) ex-cop and unlicensed PI working at his own firm 'Finders Keepers'. After a phone call from Pete, cop and friend, he arrives at Martine Stover's house where, along with Holly Gibney ('organizational genius' and partner at FI), is told by Pete and his partner Izzy the details of Stover's death. The death of Martine (survivor of the Hartsfield, the Mercedes Killer) is said to be due to her mother's actions who then killed herself. One of the intriguing things at the scene, at least for Holly and Bill, is the 'Z'. They are also not convinced by the explanation of the two deaths. Intermixed with these chapters is Bill's visit to the doctors.

message 5: by Anne (last edited Jun 12, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ch.7
Back in the car, Holly shares details she discovered on the Stover's computer - no search record of how the mother knew how to kill her daughter so specifically - and the Zappit she found down the side of the chair. Alongside the discussion about these discoveries we are also told it's been aonv time since Bill visited Hartsfield - shaken his obession with him.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ch.8-9
Holly and Bill speak to Nancy Ellerton and discover the two women were happy but also there was an elderly gentleman who paid a visit. Bill is keeping all these discoveries to themselves, for now

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ch.10
Focused on Tramatic Brain Inury Clinic. Here Nurse Scapelli shows her hatred towards patient Hartsfield. Hartsfield is showing signs of thought and action though he hides this most of the time. Scapelli thinks he is faking his condition.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ch 11
Bill speaks to Tom Saubers and discover someone has been watching the Stover house.

Ch.12-13
Bill is ill but still tracking leads and querying whether Pete is asking the right people. Bill will go the doctors tomorrow.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ch14-17
At home, Scapelli is visited by Dr. Babineau. He confronts her on her attack on Hartsfield and offers her the ultimatum - if she follows what he says, it will go away. He hands her a Zappit and leaves her hypnotised by the fish. In the hospital, Hartsfield too is gazing at the same fish ...

message 10: by Anne (last edited Jun 12, 2016 03:03PM) (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ch18 -20
Bill gets a message on Debbie's Blue Umbrella - who is this Z-Boy?
Bill and Holly speak to Pete and Izzy, sharing their previous findings. Bill keeps Z-Boy to himself.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ch.21
Bill'sdoctor tell him he has pancreatic cancer.
Scapelli's daughter worries about her mother's message.
Scapelli has killed herself - is that a Z by her body?

message 12: by Anne (last edited Jun 12, 2016 03:05PM) (new)

Anne | 139 comments 'Brady'
Ch1-7 (last full chapter on pg.117 in my copy)
Bill reveals Hartsfield once had a Zappit
Holly secretly discovers Bill's illness.
Hartsfield realises he has abilities - telekinisis, reading peoples' thoughts and actually seeing through their eyes. His next target is Barbara - something that will hurt his nemesis, Bill.

message 13: by Anne (last edited Jun 12, 2016 03:02PM) (new)

Anne | 139 comments Hope I've done ok on the chapters. If did take a while but I tried to give just the main points so I hope I didn't condense it too much.

As to my own thoughts, not sure about Hartfield's 'abilities' but I'll go with it. Wondering if King's going to use Bill's illness for something bigger in the story. Will write more later. Time for bed, up at 6:)

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Anne: Woo Hoo! thanks for the great summaries! I just finished this segment myself. Looks like the chapters as you designated them line right up with the break I was thinking of - odd that the UK version is on a slightly different page than my US hardback copy. I stopped it at a full segment but when listening to the audio it wasn't apparent at all so hope other audio listeners do ok.
I love the flow of the story and appreciate that chapter 1,2,3,4 Etc is boring, but that would sure make setting breaks for discussions easier. Lol

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Anne: yes, this telekinesis is new and was something creepy had been alluded to only at the end of the last book. Brady has evolved from the hate filled sociopathic tech wiz kid of book one. It's just like SK to add a twist to the story.
I am wondering how this will play out. He's if anything worse in this one it seems.
The Mother Daughter murder suicide reminds me of how sad I was when In the first book someone close to Bill was killed in the end. (Not to spoil Mr Mercedes) it hit me hard that two women content and happy could be victims. The nurse was much less likeable but even she doesn't deserve this.
Anne wrote: "I haven't finished this series of pages yet but I'm on pg.94 and it seems Hartsfied has an ability of telekinesis... It seems this isn't his only new ability.."

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Great job with the summaries Anne! King knows how to pull me right in. Great that all three books return to the original massacre and give insight to another victim. There has been two references to the EMT so far, in just this book. I don't remember if he was mentioned in the previous ones. But wonder if thats significant. Seems Brady is going to be more dangerous than ever. We kind of knew that at the end of Finder's Keepers, but its so creepy to read as he discovers his "powers" himself. That part of the story will definitely be signature King, I'm sure. I love Holly so far...she's come such a long way, but hasn't lost her uniqueness. Hodge's diagnosis is very upsetting...I'm trying to think how this will impact the plot.

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Ann wrote: "Anne: yes, this telekinesis is new and was something creepy had been alluded to only at the end of the last book. Brady has evolved from the hate filled sociopathic tech wiz kid of book one. It's j..."

Thanks for the kind comments about my chapters :) I'd forgot the illusion to any kind of powers in the previous book but I agree this is typical King. It was just strange how my brain was ready for crime/thriller and now it's, well, something else :)

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne | 139 comments Dawn wrote: "Great job with the summaries Anne! King knows how to pull me right in. Great that all three books return to the original massacre and give insight to another victim. There has been two references t..."

Thanks, Dawn:) I feel the same way about Bill. I couldn't decide if King had done it so he could get out of writing any more books in the series! But I agree, I think (hope) King is going to do something with his condition. Really like this character.

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments Anne wrote: "Hope I've done ok on the chapters. If did take a while but I tried to give just the main points so I hope I didn't condense it too much.

As to my own thoughts, not sure about Hartfield's 'abilitie..."

Awesome job on the chapter summaries, Anne! I checked in to see how far I'd gotten, since I'm listening on audiobook I forget to track the chapters and obviously don't know pages. Your summaries gave just enough info.

As to your earlier question about Hartsfield's telekenisis, I remember that at the end of the last book we were left with a cliffhanger scene in his hospital room. I don't remember what he did but whatever it was it suggested his ability to move things I think.

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments Ann wrote: " yes, this telekinesis is new and was something creepy had been alluded to only at the end of the last book. Brady has evolved from the hate filled sociopathic tech wiz kid of book one. It's just like SK to add a twist to the story.
..."

Yes, this is the Stephen King we know and love. I was a bit annoyed at the end of the previous book when it was clear some woo-hoo was going to be added to the plot, but it's being done masterfully and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also enjoying Will Patton's delivery. Every now and then I'm still reminded of Dave Robicheaux, the character from James Lee Burke's series, but mostly I'm completely caught up. He does an especially wonderful job with Holly's voice.

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments Dawn wrote: "I love Holly so far...she's come such a long way, but hasn't lost her uniqueness. Hodge's diagnosis is very upsetting...I'm trying to think how this will impact the plot. ..."

Yes, Dawn, I was distressed at Bill's illness also. It just doesn't seem fair, and I was mad at King for introducing this turn of events, it felt like piling on after all that has already happened to Bill. But I guess that's the way it's meant to be. I'm especially sad for Holly, who has found a home with Bill and come into her own. She still has good friends in the Robinsons, but Bill watches over her and loves her -- and helps give her life purpose in their detective partnership -- and his loss will send her reeling.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Carol- good luck with the segment breaks on audio. These were a challenge to keep up with! The narration is great so worth it.

message 23: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments Anne wrote: "Dawn wrote: " But I agree, I think (hope) King is going to do something with his condition. Really like this character. ..."

That hadn't occurred to me, that Bill's illness would play some part in the resolution of this plot. That would make it tolerable.

message 24: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jul 19, 2016 10:12PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments I can't figure out what is going on with the two men who are on the scene carrying out Hartfield's wishes. There's a well-dressed man who is handing out the 'Zappits -- is he the doctor? -- and a shabbily dressed man who drives a Malibu with paint patches on it. He was at first watching the house of the mother/daughter who were killed and last seen seemed to be watching Holly.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Carol: I don't think I had determined there were two separate men at this point "helping out" or as a proxy doing something with or for Brady. Your insights are more specific (and weren't they creepy!!)

message 26: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments Ann wrote: "Your insights are more specific (and weren't they creepy!!) ..."

Very. Whenever the Chevy Malibu shows up I get very afraid for whomever is in the vicinity.

message 27: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments Great summarie anne.
Dawn, the return to the massacare is a great wsy to follow on the sory and reintroduce the characters. im devastated about bills illness too. I dont like the way it may play out. Holly is a brilliant character and their close interdependant relationship is a highlight of the book.
Love her attitude to isabella and petes investigation. How annoying is lazy sloppy police work! Makes you hope that doesnt happen much in real life, but im sure it does.

Brady is so creepy and evil, what an exceptional way to bring his influence back in the story with advanced/ supernatural brain function within a crippled body.
Yes carol and ann that slow drive by at the empty house was creepy.

Such an exciting read full of suspense and so hard to put down so far.

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Jack: you've got some good reading ahead of you!
Reliving the massacre at the job fair still sticks in my head, the descriptions were so terribly vivid. It was quite a visceral start to this third book.
Jack wrote: "Great summarie anne.
Dawn, the return to the massacare is a great wsy to follow on the sory and reintroduce the characters. im devastated about bills illness too. I dont like the way it may play out."