Gore and More discussion

Authors > Charles L. Grant

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
Charles L. Grant was one of the heavy-hitters from the late 1970s through the 1990s and was noted for his "Quiet Horror". He didn't paint the pages with buckets of blood. His writing was all about atmosphere and the slow building of dread. Many of his stories took place in his fiction Oxrun Station where the macabre was around every corner. Grant is an acquired taste. His writing is not for everyone. But his following put him in the same league as King, McCammon and Koontz.

Thoughts?

message 2: by Char (new)

Char Myself, I love quiet horror and atmosphere. In fact, I appreciate them more than most stories that feature gore. I was a little bit hesitant to join this group because of that fact.

That said, I haven't read much from Charles Grant since I was a teenager in the early 80's. What I read of his, though, I did enjoy. :)

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
I was the same way, Char. But I stress the MORE in the title Gore and More. Lol. I don't mind stories that have little of the red stuff as long as they have the atmosphere and good characters. I think Grant fits into this category nicely.

message 4: by Jon Recluse (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 5 comments I'm a quiet horror fan, too. I find atmosphere and suspense linger longer in the memory than gore or a jump scare.
I highly recommend Grant's short stories, and Shadows, the anthology series he edited.
Fantastic stuff.