What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-Fi/Horror - creatures look human but actually hunt humans 1980's(?)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments This one's been driving me CRAZY for months now. I read it in the late 80's/early 90's so definitely published prior to 1995.

It's scientific experimentation in a desert compound, either genetic engineering or alien-species manipulation.

There are only a handful of creatures but they're paired up, male & female. They look human but when they transform, their legs bend backwards 'like a bird's' and they hunt/eat humans.

They're driven to the city to hunt by men in vans and at one point, are used to kidnap a man (reporter? private investigator?) who retains enough consciousness to notice the knees bending backwards as he's been carried off over a creature's shoulder.

At the desert compound, it gets weirder. The creatures have learned some English by watching television and at one point, one speaks by using the sentence 'tasssstessss like chicken' or something similar.

The man escapes the room where he's being held and observes a ceremony where the creatures are lined up with their creator/scientist 'father' on a table before them. At first he thinks there are other kidnapped humans as the line is half-creature/half-human but as he watches, a 'human' pair approaches the creator, transforms and takes a bite of him. The whole ceremony is weirdly religious with a 'eat of my flesh' kind of thing.

I can't remember title, author and none of the myriad of search engines can do anything with the details I can remember so hoping the Goodreads community will come to the rescue.

Thank you for any help!!

message 2: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments The knees bending backwards sounds a little familiar to me, but I could be thinking of that movie trailer a few years back - the genetically manipulated girl with the long, backwards-bending legs who one of them thinks is "misunderstood" or something and then kills a lot of people. Splice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splice_... But that's not this book.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Steph, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 4: by The rockabilly werewolf from Mars (last edited Jul 28, 2020 06:25PM) (new)

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1516 comments Saw this at a thrift store recently: Almost Human; the back cover text (which doesn't seem to be on the site) makes it sound like it could be your book.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (tadpoledrain) | 131 comments Almost Human description from Amazon:
P.J. Payne finds herself in a horrifying predicament when she is kidnapped by a twisted terrorist group that intends to mate her with the genetically spawned, cannibalistic creatures that are their weapons.

Almost Human description from Google Books:
They look and speak like men, but they kill like beasts maddened with bloodlust and the hunger for flesh--human flesh. They are a terrorist group's secret weapon, and they have just been unleashed on an unsuspecting world!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Almost Human (other topics)