Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Archive > Save Our Cozies Readathon - July 16th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Just wanted to invite everyone in the cozy reading community to the Save Our Cozies Readathon. The readathon is in support of the various series that have been impacted by the publishing house mergers. The Readathon will be July 16th 2016. The webpage for sign ups and information is https://saveourcoziesreadathon.wordpr...
Our twitter account is https://twitter.com/SaveOurCozies

The Readathon is just a fun event to support our cozies and provide a strong presence on social media through posting during the event.

There is also a Save Our Cozies Group on Facebook.

We would love to have as many Cozy Mystery readers and authors joins us for this event as possible.

message 2: by Nell (last edited Jun 07, 2016 12:48AM) (new)

Nell | 2567 comments Mod
There is a Save Our Cozies thread in this folder that includes a list of the cozies that were discontinued by the publishers. It was copied from their facebook page in April. It looks like at least one more series was added - Terrie Farley Moran's Read 'Em and Eat series. The link to that discussion is:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Is there a GR group for the Readathon?

message 3: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 07, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Nell wrote: "There is a Save Our Cozies thread in this folder that includes a list of the cozies that were discontinued by the publishers. It was copied from their facebook page in April. It looks like at least..."

Yes - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... is the Goodreads group just for the readathon. During the readathon you can post there to respond to activities and to do hourly checkins or "talk" to other readers.

message 4: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments The link to the Save Our Cozies Readathon group is active now, apparently there were some issues earlier.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Lots of options for signing up, you can participate as littel or as much as you like. Information is available at https://saveourcoziesreadathon.wordpr...

I am looking forward to reading with you!

message 5: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Just a reminder 36 days until the Save Our Cozies Readathon! We have had activity on Goodreads, at the Facebook group and on the website. I hope you'll take this opportunity to make a dent in your TBR pile and show support for our cozy series and authors! Signups are either through Goodreads at the Save Our Cozies Readathon Group, or at the website https://saveourcoziesreadathon.wordpr... or you can email me at saveourcoziesreadathon@gmail.com. Hoping to see you all there!

message 6: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 382 comments I signed up! :-D

message 7: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Awesome - I added you to the list! Thanks!

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 42 comments I've signed up for the Save our Cozies Readathon.

message 9: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Nancy wrote: "I've signed up for the Save our Cozies Readathon."

Thanks - I added you to the list and sent out a tweet about it :)

message 10: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2567 comments Mod
I tried to go on the Facebook page so I can update the list of cozies affected by the publishing merger. It says that Save Our Cozies is a closed group. It used not to be.

message 11: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Nell wrote: "I tried to go on the Facebook page so I can update the list of cozies affected by the publishing merger. It says that Save Our Cozies is a closed group. It used not to be." I am not sure when it changed. It was closed when I joined it just a few weeks ago. I am a member, I am sure if you request you will be approved by the moderator. If you have difficulty and have info to add - let me know and I will try to post it there.

message 12: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2567 comments Mod
I mentioned the Readathon in the sign-up thread for July Serial Reader Challenge. I was looking for a current list of cozies affected by the publishing merger for the CMC thread.

I don't have Julie Hyzy's book on the list since she decided not to continue the White House Chef series. Are we missing anyone else?

message 13: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Nell wrote: "I mentioned the Readathon in the sign-up thread for July Serial Reader Challenge. I was looking for a current list of cozies affected by the publishing merger for the CMC thread.

I don't have Jul..."

I opened up to readathon to cozies that were perhaps not cancelled yet but were informed that if the pre orders were not good enough they would be...Terrie Farley Moran's Read 'em and Eat series is one of those and Kathleen Bridge mentioned that her series was in that predicament also Denise Swanson Scrumble River series.

message 14: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2567 comments Mod
Odd that it's based on pre-sales since I rarely pre-order books. When I do, it's only on Kindle.

I've read all of the Scrumble River series.

The new Read 'Em and Eat mystery is coming out in early July. Right now the Kindle is the same price as the paperback. When that happens I either wait for a Kindle price drop or pick up the paperback since I can trade it at my UBS.

message 15: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Nell wrote: "Odd that it's based on pre-sales since I rarely pre-order books. When I do, it's only on Kindle.

I've read all of the Scrumble River series.

The new Read 'Em and Eat mystery is coming out in ear..."

I know- I think that it really is an issue basing the decision on pre-order sales because I rarely pre-order books except through my friend's bookstore. And she said that because she is a vendor her pre-orders don't count.

Avery Aames has said the same thing though about them using preorder sales to determine whether or not to continue her series.

I don't think it is a good measure of a series continued success.

message 16: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Just checking in 28 days until the Save Our Cozies Readathon. I have the hourly activities/challenges set up and already have some prizes - including E.J. Copperman 's The Question of the Unfamiliar Husband and Written Off: A Mysterious Detective Mystery. Molly MacRae's Last Wool and Testament and Eva Gates AKA Vicki Delany's Reading Up a Storm. Hope you all can join us. Signups here on Goodreads or at the website: https://saveourcoziesreadathon.wordpr... or you can email me at saveourcoziesreadathon@gmail.com

message 17: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments I have more prizes to annoucne :) Maggie Toussaint has donated 3 Kindle copies of Bubba Done It by Maggie Toussaint . Anna Loan-Wilsey has donated a choice of either the 4th book or an ARC of the 5th in the A Hattie Davish series. A Deceptive Homecoming by Anna Loan-Wilsey A March to Remember by Anna Loan-Wilsey

Thank you to our wonderful generous authors!

message 18: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments And another! Marty Wingate has donated our first audio book - The Red Book of Primrose House by Marty Wingate Thank you!

message 19: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Here we go - Janet Bolin has donated a winner's choice from her Threadville Series Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery #1) by Janet Bolin Threaded for Trouble (Threadville Mystery #2) by Janet Bolin Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery, #3) by Janet Bolin Seven Threadly Sins (Threadville Mystery #5) by Janet Bolin Night of the Living Thread (Threadville Mystery #4) by Janet Bolin Thank you Janet Bolin!

message 20: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Another generous donation from Erika Chase she is giving the Save Our Cozies Readathon a signed copy of Law and Author plus some bookmarks!

In other news Mark Baker has put up a post today on his blog, Carstairs Considers supporting the Save Our Cozies Readathon. If you get a chance, please go over take a look: http://carstairsconsiders.blogspot.co...

message 21: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Another donation for the Save Our Cozies Readathon, this time from author Susan Van Kirk a copy of Three May Keep a Secret plus bookmarks. Thank you Susan! Come join us on July 16th for your chane to win this and other great prizes.

message 22: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Woo Hoo - a donation from Victoria Hamilton No Mallets Intended by Victoria Hamilton White Colander Crime by Victoria Hamilton plus bookmarks. I love this series and have already read them on and would highly recommend them!

message 23: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 19, 2016 03:17PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Yee Haw! Nancy J. Cohen has donated 1 signed print copy of Shear Murder (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #10) by Nancy J. Cohen and 2 ebooks of Permed to Death (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #1) by Nancy J. Cohen along with some bookmarks. Thank you Nancy!

message 24: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2396 comments Mod
Wow - sounds like the readathon's shaping up to be lots of fun. I'm really looking forward to it!

message 25: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 19, 2016 04:15PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments I'm back again. Happy to share that we have another generous cozy author. Laura DiSilverio has donated 1 signed copy of each of the Readaholics series books. The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle and The Readaholics and the Falcon Fiasco Thank you so much...I have to admit that I covet these myself, I loved the original Maltese Falcon :)

message 26: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Wow - sounds like the readathon's shaping up to be lots of fun. I'm really looking forward to it!"
So am I, I am so pleased that we are really getting a lot of author participation and signups!

message 27: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Almost on the hour - I'm back with another generous author stepping up and donating. This time it is Denise Swanson with audio books of Between a Book and a Hard Place and Murder of an Open Book: A Scumble River Mystery Thank you Denise!

message 28: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Another hour, another great cozy author, Kathleen Bridge , has donated two Hearse and Gardens Paperbacks for the ‪#‎saveourcozies‬ ‪#‎readathon‬. Thank you Kathleen. This is another one on my TBR list, I read Better Homes and Corpses recently and really enjoyed it.
Again I'd like to remind people of our wonderful book bloggers who are helping to spread the word. When you get a moment please consider stopping over and commenting on Mark Baker 's blog http://carstairsconsiders.blogspot.co... and Lori Boness Caswell has put up a banner with link to the signup on her blog http://www.escapewithdollycas.com/ Both are great cozy readers and reviewers!

message 29: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Another hour, another great prize for ‪#‎saveourcozies‬ ‪#‎readathon‬ participants. Cate Price has donated an autographed copy of A Dollhouse to Die For. Thank you Cate!

message 30: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Final one for the night, I promise. Ending on a high note. Edith Maxwellhas donated signed hardcover books 3 and 4 from her Local Foods Mystery Series for the ‪#‎saveourcozies‬ ‪#‎readathon‬. This is Farmed and Dangerous & Murder Most Fowl. Murder Most Fowl was just released May 31st 2016.

message 31: by Anna Catharina (new)

Anna Catharina | 219 comments I want to sign up :) Let us show, that Cozies are loved all over the world!
I joined the Readathon group on Goodreads, is there anything more to do?

message 32: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Anna Catharina wrote: "I want to sign up :) Let us show, that Cozies are loved all over the world!
I joined the Readathon group on Goodreads, is there anything more to do?"

I replied to you on the group. You are all signed up! Thank you for joining us!

message 33: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Way back when we first started talking about the ‪#‎saveourcozies‬ ‪#‎readathon‬ Terrie Farley Moran contacted me immediately and offered giveaways. I told her to wait until I was sure it was all going to come together to tell me what she was donating . We emailed last night and Terrie Moran has generously donated a complete set of the Read 'Em and Eat series (all three books) all signed and a promotional mouse pad from the series! Thank you Terrie! Caught Read-Handed Read to Death: A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery Well Read, Then Dead

message 34: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 20, 2016 04:56PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Another generous cozy author Susannah Hardy AKA Sadie Hartwell has donated 3 books Yarned and Dangerous [ book:Olive and Let Die|24612125] Feta Attraction Thank you Susannah/Sadie!

message 35: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 20, 2016 05:35PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Another hour and another lovely donation! This one is a signed copy of the 3rd book in the Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery Series, Floral Depravitydonated by Barbara Early AKA Beverly Allen Thank you!

message 36: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Yet another donation! This time from Diane Vallere who is making a fabulous donation of two copies of Crushed Velvet in either ebook format or print, whichever the winners prefer. She will also include some cute custom pink tape measures and the print books will be signed. Thank you Diane!

message 37: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Starting the morning off right - Grey and thunderstormy here but a ray of sunshine with a donation from Mary Ellen Hughes who has offered a signed copy of License to Dill from her Pickled and Preserved Series. Thank you Mary Ellen.

message 38: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Home from work in time to announce that Sandra Bretting has donated two copies of Murder at MorningsideMurder at Morningside in either ebook or print, winners' choice. Thank you Sandra!

message 39: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 21, 2016 05:50PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Ready to post some more donations! Back from a great dinner at Diamonds with friends :) I have another donation to share. Jenny Kales has donated three books of On the Chopping Block. Although her own series was not impacted directly by cancellation, she wanted to show support for cozy writers and fans by donating to the readathon. Thank you Jenny!

message 40: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:25PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments This donation is from Daryl Wood Gerber. She is donating a winner's choice from books 1 -4 of her Cookbook Nook Series. Thank you Daryl. I have read most of this series and really like it! ‪#‎saveourcozies‬ ‪#‎readathon‬ Inherit the Word Final Sentence Fudging the Books Stirring the Plot

message 41: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Good morning all - Here is something to brighten what looks to be a grey day Ellen Byron has donated a hardcover copy of Plantation Shudders and a fun bag of swag to the Save Our Cozies Readathon - 24 hours of reading fun happening in 24 days - July 16th. Thank you Ellen! https://saveourcoziesreadathon.wordpr...

message 42: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Finally out of the heat that was un-airconditioned work and home. News today is a mixed bag, the good is another generous donation from Nancy Herriman the bad is that Nancy reports that her series is in danger of cancellation. Nancy has donated 2 signed copies of No Comfort for the Lost and 1 signed copy of No Pity For the Dead Thank you Nancy!

message 43: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments For fans of the classic Thin Man...we have a donation from T.C. LoTempio from her Nick and Nora series. She has donated one signed copy of each of the two books in the series, Meow If It's Murder and Claws for Alarm. She has a new book in the series coming out December 6th that really needs readers' support. It is Crime and Catnip: A Nick and Nora Mystery

message 44: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Hear ye, hear ye, this just in: a new donation, this time from Krista Davis. She is donating one copy each of Murder Most Howl and The Diva Serves High Tea to the Save Our Cozies Readathon to support cozy series and authors that have been cancelled. Thank you Krista for you your support!

message 45: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 23, 2016 06:08PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Namaste - a new donation! This one is from Tracy Weber. She has generously donated a choice of book from her Downward Dog Mysteries, a coffee mug and signed bookmarks for participants! Thank you Tracy! A Killer Retreat Murder Strikes a Pose Karma's a Killer: A Downward Dog Mystery

message 46: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments A little sprinkle of magic for your Sunday afternoon: Sofie Kelly has generously donated 2 copies of Faux Paw from her Magical Cats series and 3 copies of A Whisker of Trouble (written as Sofie Ryan) Thank you so much for the donations for the ‪#‎saveourcozies‬ ‪#‎readathon‬

message 47: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Another great donation for a worthy cause, Nancy Lynn Jarvis has donated 1 copy of A Neighborly Killing to the Save Our Cozies Readathon. Thank you Nancy!

message 48: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments We have received support from LizzieFayelovesBooks over on youtube. She is a booktuber. The booktube community is closeknit and very active and it is great to have their support. I encourage everyone to show support of her efforts by going to view her video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0j9C... Thank you!

message 49: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments A great blog post that brings together information for people concerned about cancelled series and what to do about it. I strongly urge anyone interested in the Save Our Cozies Readathon or movement to go over and read. http://writerswhokill.blogspot.com/20...

message 50: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jun 27, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments A witchy donation from Carol J. Perry . She has donated 3 copies of Tails, You Lose, the 2nd book from her Witch City Mystery series! Thank you Carol.

« previous 1