Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Preacher

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed (BlackSabbathEd) Anyone watching Preacher? Thoughts on the first two episodes? Seems interesting enough so far.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments I am loving the show! I wasn't even going to watch it but I took a chance and love it! It's so bizzare :-)

message 3: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments I've also been watching and enjoying it so far.

message 4: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments I will say it was the second episode that had me hooked.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Yay! Another person that likes it :-). The second episode was epic!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments I havent tried it yet but definitely will

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1597 comments Loving it. {LOL -- I first typed "Living it."]

It's just so simple, yet complex:

-- "Who likes arts and crafts?"
-- "You'll hear a noise."
-- "I think you boyos have the wrong fella."

And who can't love a show where "Tom Cruise exploded" is a throwaway gag?

message 8: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 515 comments Second episode was awesome!
And I'm an old fan of the comic series... First 5 minutes made me scream! (view spoiler) With my wife looking at me like crazy.. XD

message 9: by Char (last edited Jun 07, 2016 06:52AM) (new)

Char  | 13653 comments Mod
I am liking it so far! I've only read volume 1 of the comics but I enjoyed it enough to check out the show.

I wonder if you all could tell me something...I DVR'd the show because it came on at the same time as Game of Thrones. I watched it Sunday night and I fast forwarded through the commercials. It's actually my first time DVRing something and I don't know if I did something wrong...(view spoiler) The counter was only at 35 mins when it ended and I don't know if I got the whole thing or not.

message 10: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1597 comments Charlene, you did see the end of the episode. That was the last thing I saw. You must have missed the start of the show. Amazon pay-per-view streaming lists it at 49 minutes.

message 11: by Char (new)

Randy wrote: "Charlene, you did see the end of the episode. That was the last thing I saw. You must have missed the start of the show. Amazon pay-per-view streaming lists it at 49 minutes."

Thank you, Randy! I'm pretty sure I saw the beginning-I might be off on the minutes a little bit.

Now I see why people like DVRing things-you don't have to sit through commercials like you do when you get something "On Demand".

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ward (battyward) | 103 comments Preacher is my favorite new show in a long while -- it's stylish, energetic, bloody and hilarious. If you have the option on your on-demand service, watch the pilot ep with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's commentary. Also hilarious.

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I've only seen the first episode, never read the comics, and I thought it was pretty great. I DVR'd the 2nd episode and it didn't record. Grrrr. Now I have to wait until a replay on Friday.

message 14: by Char (new)

Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "I've only seen the first episode, never read the comics, and I thought it was pretty great. I DVR'd the 2nd episode and it didn't record. Grrrr. Now I have to wait until a replay on Friday."

I hope you get a chance to see it, Bark. It really made me think that this could be a great show.

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
I'm going to have to watch this now that I see how much you all are loving it.

message 16: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I'm enjoying it, but I know people who have no idea about the comics who are having a lot of trouble following it. I can definitely understand why. It's kind of all over the place.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6737 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "I'm enjoying it, but I know people who have no idea about the comics who are having a lot of trouble following it. I can definitely understand why. It's kind of all over the place."

I am one of those people. I got through the pilot and watched some of the second episode but I didn't have a clue as to what was going on.

message 18: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments I've just caught the first episode and, as someone who knows nothing about the books, I'm intrigued to see more.

message 19: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "I've only seen the first episode, never read the comics, and I thought it was pretty great. I DVR'd the 2nd episode and it didn't record. Grrrr. Now I have to wait until a replay on Friday."

Bark, do you have an iPad? If so, you can download the AMC app and catch up. It may also be available on demand if your cable provider offers it.

Like Charlene, I've only read the first volume of the trade paperback edition. The series has impressed me greatly, and I look forward to seeing how they translate the future plotline in the series.

message 20: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments I'm a fan of the comics and the show has been pretty fun so far. It's even more random than I remember.
Cassidy is still the standout character for me.

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments I have watched the entire season now. I really like it. The three leads are all unique and really cool - looking forward to the hunt begining

message 22: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments They left off at a good place for season 2.

message 23: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 408 comments I only started watching this on Friday evening and, suffice to say, I didn't get much sleep that night because I was ploughing through the first season and catching up with the second. I am in love with it! Eagerly awaiting the next episode now. It was a show I'd been meaning to watch since it came out last year. I admit, I haven't read the comics but I know Joseph Gilgun was in it (I love him in everything he's in) and I knew that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg were writing it and creating it and I always like their work and was intrigued to see them handle darker and more violent material than their usual stuff. I think they're all doing an amazing job so far. I'm hooked and think I mate have found a new favourite show.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments The beginning of the new series is cray! I love it. Well, a few things about the show I don't like but other than that, I love it.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments I have decided not to even watch the show. This is SUCH a *book/comic* experience for me, and (for now) I like it as such, with no need to expand to TV... --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 26: by Char (new)

Towards the end of the first season I was losing interest in the show-it just did not have the same feel as the comics did.

However, after watching the first few episodes of the new season, I am back on board! It's irreverent, fun and ass-kicking, just like the comics and that's the feel I was missing.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments I haven't read the comics even though I have the first graphic novel so I'm good so far =]

message 28: by Ninetailedkat (new)

Ninetailedkat | 59 comments I have not read the comics, but am loving the show!!! And in my case, something our whole family loves to watch together!

message 29: by ~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (last edited Jul 09, 2017 05:51PM) (new)

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 52 comments I haven't watched this show, just caught bits and pieces, like part of this season's premiere, and lo and behold, I had recently watched Loving (the movie) and wondering why I recognized Mildred, it's Tulip!

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Newton | 142 comments I haven't read the graphic novels, but I'm loving the show! It's so outrageously funny! I plan to start the books, but I want to stay behind the show so I won't know what's about to happen. My favorite character is Cassidy.

message 31: by Char (new)

Cindy wrote: "I haven't read the graphic novels, but I'm loving the show! It's so outrageously funny! I plan to start the books, but I want to stay behind the show so I won't know what's about to happen. My favo..."

Cassidy is my favorite as well. His character changes a lot throughout the book series. I love how it's just accepted that he's a vampire with no explanation or anything.

message 32: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 408 comments Cindy wrote: "I haven't read the graphic novels, but I'm loving the show! It's so outrageously funny! I plan to start the books, but I want to stay behind the show so I won't know what's about to happen. My favo..."

Cassidy is my favourite, too! Although, I knew he would be even before I started the series just because of how much I love the actor playing him.

message 33: by Char (new)

Last night's episode was CRAZY! I feel bad for Eugene.

message 34: by Francesca (last edited Jul 12, 2017 01:35AM) (new)

Francesca | 408 comments Char wrote: "Last night's episode was CRAZY! I feel bad for Eugene."

I watched it last night and it was insane. In the last season where we found out what Eugene had apparently done I was really put off him but this season, learning the truth, I feel really bad for him. The hunt for 'God' was really funny, though. I loved the fight scene to Uptown Girl, too.

message 35: by Char (new)

Yes, exactly! (When they said that last season, I was yelling at the TV, noooo! He didn't do that!)

The Uptown Girl scene was freaking hilarious. When Jessie's foe takes his earbud out at the end and I realized that's what he was listening to I just burst out laughing.

message 36: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 408 comments Char wrote: "Yes, exactly! (When they said that last season, I was yelling at the TV, noooo! He didn't do that!)

The Uptown Girl scene was freaking hilarious. When Jessie's foe takes his earbud out at the end ..."

I've loved music choices so far. The use of Come On Eileen in the first episode of this season was also a highlight for me.

message 37: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Francesca wrote:"

I've loved music choices so far. The use of Come On Eileen in the first episode of this season was also a highlight for me. ."

That song is "shite" and then they're all singing along. This season is fantastic.

message 38: by Char (new)

Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "Francesca wrote:"

I've loved music choices so far. The use of Come On Eileen in the first episode of this season was also a highlight for me. ."

That song is "shite" and then they're all singing ..."

That was hilarious!

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Sellars | 130 comments Just starting season two.

The first season was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of the comic book and was a little wary, at first. But I really like what they've done with the characters and narrative. It takes guts and a clear creative vision to take a popular, fully-realised story and say, "We love this, but we think our version will work better if we do it like this..."

message 40: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments I've never read any of the books, but I did enjoy the first series. This second series though, it has moved up through some gears. Loving it!

message 41: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) I LOVE this series. Have to start the 2nd season, but I love every character in it. I have the comics on my TBR.

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael Sellars | 130 comments Eva wrote: "I LOVE this series. Have to start the 2nd season, but I love every character in it. I have the comics on my TBR."

If you like horror, the creators of Preacher had a great run on Hellblazer, starting here: Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits.

message 43: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) Michael wrote: "Eva wrote: "I LOVE this series. Have to start the 2nd season, but I love every character in it. I have the comics on my TBR."

If you like horror, the creators of Preacher had a great run on Hellbl..."

Never heard of it. I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

message 44: by Char (new)

Michael wrote: "Eva wrote: "I LOVE this series. Have to start the 2nd season, but I love every character in it. I have the comics on my TBR."

If you like horror, the creators of Preacher had a great run on Hellbl..."

I see that the Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits that you linked collects issues 41-46. Do you have to read the first 40 issues to know what's going on?

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Sellars | 130 comments Hi Char.

Not necessarily. It's very much the beginning of a new trajectory for the character.

I'd certainly recommend reading issues 1-40, though. The writing, by Jamie Delano, is brilliant. Delano's run on the series was more complex than Ennis's. But the Ennis/Dillon years were a lot of fun; in tone, quite a lot like Preacher.

Brian Azzarello's run was also fantastic; very dark and ambiguous.

And if you enjoyed The Girl with All the Gifts, Mike Carey wrote the book for a time and did some great work.

message 46: by Char (new)

Thanks, Michael!