Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 21

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments Today's prompt is your favorite book from your childhood. If you know me IRL or you've been reading my blog for a while, then you know I wasn't a reader in my childhood.

I'm choosing Number the Stars by Lois Lowry because it's the first book I read on my own. I loved it and now I love World War II stories, especially those about helping the Jews.

I recently reread Number the Stars. I was worried it wouldn't hold up to my memory, but it did. It was a little young for me, but I still enjoyed the story of friendship and courage. I'd like to read a more in-depth version of this story. Maybe there is one, not the exact same, but something similar?

What is your favorite book from your childhood?

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Anne of Green Gables, and The Wishing Chair when I was younger. I also loved The Neverending Story.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2711 comments The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden

I'm sure it contributed to my love of historical fiction, especially the 19th century.

message 4: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry. I devoured all of Marguerite Henry's books when I was a child.

message 5: by Denizen (last edited Jun 06, 2016 06:12PM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments An Otter's Story by Emil Liers The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) by Walter Farley
I really enjoyed The Secret Garden, too, but I adored animal stories.

An early favorite was An Otter's Story and about a year later fell in love with The Black Stallion. There was one about a white stallion that I also loved. I have wasted many hours searching the internet trying to come up with the title. Just thought, perhaps I should ask my sister. We used the same library.

message 6: by Marti (last edited Jun 06, 2016 06:32PM) (new)

Marti (coloreader) | 84 comments Depends on how far back I'd go. I loved The Bobbsey Twins, Ping the Duck, Hats For Sale, Mike Mulligan and His Steve Shovel, and Nancy Drew. I also loved Misty of Chincoteague. I worked a few years in an elementary school library, and found all kinds of new favorites then!

message 7: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nancy Drew series and The Cherry Ames nursing series.

message 8: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorites.

message 9: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1033 comments Blue Willow by Doris Gates

message 10: by annapi (last edited Jun 06, 2016 08:39PM) (new)

annapi | 4851 comments Oh, so many. But I remember that I kept borrowing A Wrinkle in Time from the library over and over again in 5th-7th grade. And when I discovered L'Engle's other books I was obsessed with collecting them all.

Other favorites that got read over and over:
The Chronicles of Narnia
Watership Down
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
The Chronicles of Prydain
Black Beauty
White Fang
The Black Stallion (series)
The Silver Brumby (series)
King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
The Three Investigators series (books by Robert Arthur only)

When I was very young I would read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz but those I quickly outgrew.

message 11: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Swiss Family Robinson

message 12: by JoLene (last edited Jun 06, 2016 09:20PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Harriet the Spy

I was a big reader as a kid because I was sick a lot so I could make a huge list with many listed by others. Although I will say that I preferred Trixie Belden series (although it's written by multiple people --- I wonder if I would notice a difference now) to Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5537 comments I was obsessed by Marguerite Henry's "horse" books ... Hard to pick a favorite but this one was memorable

Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) by Marguerite Henry Misty of Chincoteague

message 14: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Denizen wrote: "There was one about a white stallion that I also loved. I have wasted many hours searching the internet trying to come up with the title. Just thought, perhaps I should ask my sister. We used the same library."

Denizen, if you discover the title of that one, please share. I've been trying to figure out the title of a children's book I read about a certain white horse for a long time with no success. It would be weird if it was the same white horse story as yours, but just in case :)

The only thing I can remember (I think) is that the horse might have been named Diablo Blanco and I think there was a journalist/photographer woman who was uncovering some nefarious thing that was happening with the horses -- theft or abuse maybe. That's all I can remember.

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Nancy Drew!

However, a less well known series that I also devoured and still remember fondly is the Thoroughbred Series. It starts with A Horse Called Wonder and features a girl who works on a thoroughbred racing farm. I highly recommend them if anyone has a young girl in their life who is fascinated with horses as I was!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8155 comments I think i read all of the Sidney Sheldon books as a kid! Can't remember the names. But I loved them.

message 17: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments The View from Saturday and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler are stand-outs from my younger childhood.

Runners up is Ella Enchanted

message 18: by annapi (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

annapi | 4851 comments Denizen wrote: "There was one about a white stallion that I also loved. I have wasted many hours searching the internet trying to come up with the title."

The Silver Brumby is about a white stallion, set in Australia. Is this it? I loved this series as a kid, particularly the 3rd book, Silver Brumbies of the South.

message 20: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Sarah, I was just thinking of Wayside Stories! I read some of them but my brother loved them.

message 21: by Patty (new)

Patty | 80 comments I can't remember what books I read as a child. I do remember likeing Charlotte's Web.

message 22: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8016 comments Patty wrote: "I can't remember what books I read as a child. I do remember likeing Charlotte's Web."

Same in both cases. I don't remember reading much (I may have; I just don't remember) when I was child. I do remember from when I was about 10 or so and as a teenager.

I know I read Charlotte's Web, as well, though, as I remember having a copy of it and I do vaguely remember reading it. I think Heidi was another I read as a child.

message 23: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) The Bobbsey Twins, Nandy Drew and then Trixie Beldon in that order, I think.

message 24: by Marnie (new)

Marnie | 94 comments This is hard, I would say absolute fav would be Black Beauty. Others would have been Misty of Chincoteague, Heidi, Charlotte's Web and a book of children's poetry I had.