Old Souls Book Club discussion

Old Soul Problems :) > Do you vote? :)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
I hope this is not too controversial to bring up here, but in my experience, I've noticed that old souls tend to stay out of politics. It's not for lack of opinions, but probably more because it's overwhelming to look at the political map right now and feel like they can make a difference.

Is this true for you? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments I've always voted as part of taking responsibility for the society we live in. That said, I don't like "politics" and totally understand why someone who would be a really great President won't take part in the process. This current election is the craziest I've ever seen, and I can only hope we all can deal with the results.

message 3: by Saiisha (new)

Barbara wrote: "I've always voted as part of taking responsibility for the society we live in. That said, I don't like "politics" and totally understand why someone who would be a really great President won't take..."

Thanks for sharing Barbara - I couldn't agree more!

I look forward to seeing what others think as well...

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments Well said, J.D.

message 5: by Dewin (new)

Dewin Anguas Barnette | 37 comments I think what both Barbara and JD said are right on. I also vote, as I have said before, because I am hugely inspired by those who had to fight for their civil rights. They died for the right to vote, so I feel that not voting would be dishonoring their struggle. However, I, too, do not appreciate the system as it is currently. But, I feel that my one vote makes more of a difference than would my lack of one vote were I to not participate.

The reason I voted for Obama in the past was not because of the debates or any promises he made. It was because I read Dreams from my Father and fell in love with him and what his past represented. Whether that was "right" of me to do or not, I would rather make my choice based on the content of a man's character, to steal MLK's words, than the bull that is tossed about in front of a camera.

message 6: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments I vote. On many ballots and in many states it won't make a difference. In Oregon though, we have more options on the ballot. My candidate won't win for President of the United States but I will vote for them. If enough of the electorate would push for change, it could happen.

message 7: by Saiisha (last edited Jun 08, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Wow - it's been great to hear that everyone feels a personal responsibility to vote - not what I expected to hear, so I'm impressed :) And I agree with you all - some of the people we mention here as inspirations for a spiritual life also happen to be great civil rights leaders and political disrupters of their times (Jesus, Gandhi, MLK... ). Raising consciousness at such a large scale does seem to involve politics or at least social activism. So political apathy is not an option for us if we want to take our individual responsibility seriously.

Echoing everyone's sentiments here is a Gandhi quote: “Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.”

This has been an interesting conversation - keep it going! I'd love to hear from others as well...

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 27 comments I vote for the same reasons as others, it's a right, a duty and people fought for the right to vote. I used to follow every political show and article for several years. It was stressful. I stopped following the shows and my life is much calmer. I still hit the news headlines and look up information if I need to know more. I think we have good people in politics that want to make a difference, but they are quickly put in their place by old bulls and archaic rules.

message 9: by Saiisha (new)

Kris wrote: "I vote for the same reasons as others, it's a right, a duty and people fought for the right to vote. I used to follow every political show and article for several years. It was stressful. I stopped..."

I know exactly what you mean about the news, Kris! I don't remember the name of the person who I heard this from, but when he said, "If you want to change your life, the first thing I'll tell you to do is not to read the news." I was quite young then, but that was an aha moment for me, and I really did take his advice to heart. And I think that advice is even more relevant now, in this age of 24 / 7 news channels who basically create news out of nothing! It's a sad state of things.

message 10: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments I like to read some news. I use the Digg reader to view RSS feeds. But, I have to tell myself, "don't give into curiosity. Never read the comments."

I don't watch cable news. It is extremely biased and can ruin any benefits from meditation ;-)