Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

Living at the Edge of the World: A Teenager's Survival in the Tunnels of Grand Central Station
This topic is about Living at the Edge of the World
autobiofraphies/memoirs about drug abuse/homelessness/prostitution?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lola  (sweetbabycrystalpoweredbygod) | 13 comments just finished readingLiving at the Edge of the World: How I Survived in the Tunnels of Grand Central Station does anyone have any recommendations for similiar true stories about homelessness/ drug abuse?
thanks

message 2: by Selina (new)

message 3: by Fishface (last edited Jun 07, 2016 04:49PM) (new)

Fishface | 1619 comments I can strongly recommend Christiane F. We were all reading it when I was in high school -- the autobiography of a 14-year-old heroin-addicted prostitute.

Oh, and homelessness was a major part of Michelle Knight's grisly autobiography, Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed: A Memoir of the Cleveland Kidnappings. By the end of the story you wish she was still just homeless.

message 4: by Fishface (last edited Jun 07, 2016 05:12PM) (new)

Fishface | 1619 comments I almost forgot Dead Giveaway: The Rescue, Hamburgers, White Folks, and Instant Celebrity... What You Saw on TV Doesn't Begin to Tell the Story... It's partly the author's own story of his years of drug addiction and intermittent homelessness. In fact I read on the net that after this book came out he became homeless again. I can't recommend this story too strongly.

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1619 comments I don't know if you would count it because it's a biography, not an autobiography, but The Prankster and the Conspiracy is about Kerry Thornley's life after he crashed and burned on drugs. He was one of those guys who couldn't smoke pot without getting psychotic, but also enjoyed the sensation so much that he refused to give it up. He declined from a prizewinning public speaker, author and married father to a homeless guy who washed dishes in the back of restaurants.

Lola  (sweetbabycrystalpoweredbygod) | 13 comments Thanks so much for the recommendations !

message 7: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2238 comments Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir
You couldn't find anyone more famously drug addicted than Judy Garland. He daughter remembers what it was like to care for her mother and the impact her death had on her.