RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Freckle Juice

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments This is an amusing story about loving yourself the way you are. I remember reading this when I was younger and thinking “Ewwww, do not drink that”. The teacher in this story is my favorite character because she shows Andrew that she does care about him through her actions. I think that is something we all aspire to be like as teachers, to have structure but to show our students that we care. It would be fun to make freckle juice as a class creating our own edible recipe. This is also a good story to use for characterization.

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments Freckle Juice is a silly and fun read. I have had kids in my class who love to pull pranks on each other and me. Students can relate to wanting something that they cannot have and say they would do anything to get it. This could use this book to do a character analysis, have students share their favorite parts and talk about text to self.

message 3: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I love your idea Victoria about making freckle juice for your students! I thought the same thing when I was younger and I didn't get why they would want to drink that for freckles! (Coming from someone who has some freckles) :) I still think this book is very relative to for kids today in 3rd-5th grade.

Robyn it sounds like you had a great, fun filled classroom of pranksters! (: I agree with you that students of all ages can relate to wanting something they can't have and are willing to do anything to get what they want. Great ideas for ELAR lesson.

-Nickole

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments I loved reading Judy Blume books as a child! I remember wondering why Andrew would want to have freckles; one of my cousins had freckles and she hated them! I remember wanting glasses so bad after my best friend had to get them. Wearing glasses really embarrassed him, but I thought they were so cool! The grass is always greener...

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Victoria wrote: "This is an amusing story about loving yourself the way you are. I remember reading this when I was younger and thinking “Ewwww, do not drink that”. The teacher in this story is my favorite characte..."

I was also very fond of the teacher in the story. She teaches an important lesson that probably wasn't included in a pre-planned lesson plan.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "Freckle Juice is a silly and fun read. I have had kids in my class who love to pull pranks on each other and me. Students can relate to wanting something that they cannot have and say they would do..."

Wanting something they can not have...

Choosing contentment is challenging at every age!

message 7: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Kimberly wrote: "I loved reading Judy Blume books as a child! I remember wondering why Andrew would want to have freckles; one of my cousins had freckles and she hated them! I remember wanting glasses so bad after ..."

Lol I can remember times when I wanted to be cool like my friends! I think it's definitely a phase we all go through. (:

-Nickole