RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Smoky Night

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments This book can be used to bring up difficult topics with students. Even though it is old it is still relatable to what is going on today with racial riots and political riots. This book could be used to talk about right vs. wrong, how to handle feelings when you are upset or afraid, and how to treat people who are different from you. The lesson that the boy learns because of the cats that people judge each other before they know them reminds me that many times children do not see what adults see and are able to look past that and teach us valuable life lessons.

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments I felt this book did a wonderful job showing that even though people may be different, everyone still basically has the same fears and worries.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments Robyn wrote: "I felt this book did a wonderful job showing that even though people may be different, everyone still basically has the same fears and worries."

Agree such a great lesson that many times can be easy to forget.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 9 comments Mod
Did you all know that this book is based on the infamous LA Riots? It is a powerful and sophisticated picture book. I really appreciate the illustrations. Smoky Night is a great example of a "picture" book appropriate for older students.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "I felt this book did a wonderful job showing that even though people may be different, everyone still basically has the same fears and worries."

Highlighting what makes us similar can be very helpful in minimizing our differences!

message 6: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "I felt this book did a wonderful job showing that even though people may be different, everyone still basically has the same fears and worries."

I agree, I think that's what makes communities stronger when they can work together to better there area. Working together for the greater good.

message 7: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Kimberly wrote: "Robyn wrote: "I felt this book did a wonderful job showing that even though people may be different, everyone still basically has the same fears and worries."

Highlighting what makes us similar ca..."

Yes it can, but some times it's hard for people to see, and I think this book does a great job showing that. The illustrations are awesome as well.

-Nickole