RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Isabella Star of the Story

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments This would be a great story to use at the beginning of the year before introducing a classroom library or the first trip to the library as a class. It shows children that books allow you to use your imagination and become anyone who you want to. I know that my favorite thing about books is that they kind of take you out of your reality and into a totally different one. You could also creative an activity centering around students favorite stories that they have read or heard in the past. I also like that Isabella reads popular stories that some students may have heard or seen in a movie and can relate to. I think it is important for children to also relate to what they are reading so it can be enjoyable. I like that it makes going to the library and reading fun because many children find it to be boring.

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments This was a fun book. I love how it shows that books can let your imagination run wild. This is a good book to show how stories can take us on adventures. The illustrations are great in this story.

message 3: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I like your idea about having an activity centered around students favorite stories! I am learning to love reading, I have to find the right genre that makes reading fun. This is something I plan to share with my students. (:

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments Robyn wrote: "This was a fun book. I love how it shows that books can let your imagination run wild. This is a good book to show how stories can take us on adventures. The illustrations are great in this story."

I love the illustrations too!

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments This book was such a great way to introduce children to the joy of reading, and to illustrate how reading helps to unlock our imagination. I loved how so many other characters were incorporated into the story; it made me want to learn more about each character!

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Victoria wrote: "This would be a great story to use at the beginning of the year before introducing a classroom library or the first trip to the library as a class. It shows children that books allow you to use you..."

This could be a great teaching tool for preparing students for their first trip to the library - I bet they would be very excited about the upcoming experience!

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "This was a fun book. I love how it shows that books can let your imagination run wild. This is a good book to show how stories can take us on adventures. The illustrations are great in this story."

Using our imagination is such a gift! I think it is so important for children to value their imagination, and to understand from an early age to cherish the ability to imagine!

message 8: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Kimberly wrote: "This book was such a great way to introduce children to the joy of reading, and to illustrate how reading helps to unlock our imagination. I loved how so many other characters were incorporated int..."

I agree! I really liked all the characters introduced in this story! I wonder what others characters students could come up with.

-Nickole