THE Group for Authors! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Discussion > Office Hours - June 2016

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Jun 07, 2016 10:36AM) (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments I'll be hanging out here on June 14 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. PST to answer any questions you might have about marketing your books on Goodreads. I will open the thread 15 minutes before so you can get your questions in. Be sure to also check out our previous Office Hours in this folder! Talk to you soon.

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Opening this up for questions for now, will be responding at 1 p.m. PST! If you haven't yet read the interview with debut author Scott Hawkins yet, here is the link . He offers some GREAT advice to authors in the Q&A of the comment section, which I definitely urge you to read.

message 3: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments I have just recently published my book, "Wiser and Wilder," and want to use this site to help me market it. What is the one main thing that will help me get it in front of more people on this site? I do have an author account now and have added my profile.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments I know having an email fanbase already in place is best for recruiting reviewers, but what would you suggest for those just starting out for building that fanbase?

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Any suggestions on obtaining reviews from major book authorities, such as New York Times and USA Today?

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) | 63 comments Like Kaya, I also have a novel that I would like to better promote. Does Goodreads offer authors a way to connect with book groups/clubs?

message 7: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments Paul- I can highly recommend my media person- Joanne McCall. She is good.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "I have just recently published my book, "Wiser and Wilder," and want to use this site to help me market it. What is the one main thing that will help me get it in front of more people on this site?"

Hi Kaya! Congrats on your book! Love your profile pic (and the blue streak in your hair). The main thing to do that will help you get your book in front of more people on Goodreads is to run a giveaway. You need at least one copy to start a giveaway, and run the giveaway for at least a week (though we generally recommend to run the giveaway for at least a month).

Here are some tips for running a successful giveaway on Goodreads.

Separately, are all the books listed on your profile written by you? If not, we should remove them!

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 26 comments Kaya, if you don't have a "following" or if people haven't added the book you're giving away to their "want to read" list, how will they see that your book is being offered in a giveaway? What kind of distribution does an ad/notice like that get?

message 10: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments I was told to do a Give-a-way but couldn't figure out how to do it so thanks for this link. Does that give me step-by-step process? I need more than tips- I need a how to....I did write all those books but they are old and I want to get rid of them- how do I do that?? They are not representing me any longer.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Paul wrote: "I know having an email fanbase already in place is best for recruiting reviewers, but what would you suggest for those just starting out for building that fanbase? Any suggestions on obtaining reviews from major book authorities, such as New York Times and USA Today?"

Hi Paul! There are two things to do when you're just starting to build your fanbase, either via newsletter or via followers on Goodreads. The first is to provide great content so that fans have something they see that will pique their interest and want to subscribe to it. Nobody will subscribe to something when they don't know what they'll get, but if a fan sees that you write really great blog posts, or book reviews, or videos that speak to them, they'll want to get more of them.

The second is to value every engagement with every reader. Ensure your first fans have an amazing experience with you so that they'll be inclined to tell others. That means on Goodreads responding to Ask the Author questions timely and with something thoughtful, or including a personal note with a book you're sending out via giveaway.

Regarding getting reviews in traditional media outlets: look up the names of the relevant book editors and mailing address and send your book to them. The only way they can consider a book for review is by having a copy.

Hope that helps!

message 12: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments Bill- yes part of my question is just that. How do I get a following? I need to begin at the beginning. lol

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "Paul- I can highly recommend my media person- Joanne McCall. She is good."

Yes! That's actually a great point. Hiring a professional book publicist will definitely be worthwhile for getting in front of traditional media outlets. There are many, many of them all over the country so a Google search should produce some potentially local and reasonable results. (Keep in mind, book publicists can range from $5,000 to $50,000 depending on the type of campaign).

message 14: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments Cynthia,
Do you or anyone else there offer paid help for Goodreads Marketing? I am so busy running my business that I am trying not to be a diyer all the time. I can do things but coaching would be helpful.

message 15: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments I paid her $3,000 for a National Wave. Has been worth it.

Cynthia wrote: "Kaya wrote: "Paul- I can highly recommend my media person- Joanne McCall. She is good."

Yes! That's actually a great point. Hiring a professional book publicist will definitely be worthwhile for g..."

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Lily wrote: "Like Kaya, I also have a novel that I would like to better promote. Does Goodreads offer authors a way to connect with book groups/clubs?"

Hi Lily! We literally have thousands of them :) Check out https://www.goodreads.com/group

The key here is to join groups that you are genuinely interested in and that are a fit for your book. You probably don't want to join a Horror book club if your work is Romantic Historical Fiction. The other thing is that you don't want to just join the group and talk about your own book the whole time. Think of a cocktail party where someone new joins in on a conversation to only insert quips about herself. Participate in the discussion by adding genuine comments. Also note that groups set their own rules, and may prefer not to include authors. Respect those rules and find another group that allows authors to join.

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "I was told to do a Give-a-way but couldn't figure out how to do it so thanks for this link. Does that give me step-by-step process? I need more than tips- I need a how to....I did write all those books but they are old and I want to get rid of them- how do I do that?? They are not representing me any longer."

You can start a giveaway here: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/new

It's pretty straight foward: tell us the book and the number of copies you want to give away, in what location and for how long, and we then list it on our giveaway page as well as on your book page.

There is also a unique giveaway URL on which the first part of your bio will show up (though you need to have a few lines of that bio, so definitely complete it!). This also shows the follow button to help you build your fanbase.

Regarding removing books, I'm afraid we can't do that if the books have been in fact published by you. But you don't want us to delete those! For readers want to find out what else you have written as well as what books you personally recommend. And all those book ratings and reviews get pulled together to show your overall rating.

message 18: by G.H. (new)

G.H. Eckel (gheckel) | 3 comments Kaya wrote: "I paid her $3,000 for a National Wave. Has been worth it.

Cynthia wrote: "Kaya wrote: "Paul- I can highly recommend my media person- Joanne McCall. She is good."

Yes! That's actually a great poin..."

Can you please comment on the kinds of things she did and the number of responses you got?

message 19: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Bill wrote: "Kaya, if you don't have a "following" or if people haven't added the book you're giving away to their "want to read" list, how will they see that your book is being offered in a giveaway? What kind of distribution does an ad/notice like that get?"

Hi Bill! Chiming in here... your giveaway goes live on our giveaway listings page, as well as on your book page, and it gets its unique link that you can share via status update or on other social media sites.

Also keep in mind: whenever someone enters a giveaway, it generates a status update in their newsfeed for all their followers to see. That raises awareness beyond just the person who enters it, but all of their friends as well. Since you typically share some common interest with your friends, those friends might enter the giveaway too without having heard of the book anywhere else.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "Bill- yes part of my question is just that. How do I get a following? I need to begin at the beginning. lol"

I hear it's a very good place to start (cue Julie Andrews...)

:)

message 21: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments Thanks Cynthia

I will follow that link and get started. Those ebooks were put onto Amazon just so I could have an author page some years ago. Can I change the covers so they are more aligned? How do I do that?

Cynthia wrote: "Kaya wrote: "I was told to do a Give-a-way but couldn't figure out how to do it so thanks for this link. Does that give me step-by-step process? I need more than tips- I need a how to....I did writ..."

message 22: by Cynthia (last edited Jun 14, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "Cynthia,
Do you or anyone else there offer paid help for Goodreads Marketing? I am so busy running my business that be a diyer all the time. I can do things but coaching would be helpful."

Sorry, no, but there are many social media experts that do this sort of thing--a Google search will be your best bet there. We do offer many resources for authors though, including the Authors and Advertisers Blog (https://www.goodreads.com/authors-adv...), the Monthly Author Newsletter (which you can subscribe to via your Account Settings), and here is a link to some useful webinars and videos.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments So I read the news about the beta program for eBook giveaways last month. How well is the program going? Do you see it lasting?

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/6...

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "Thanks Cynthia

I will follow that link and get started. Those ebooks were put onto Amazon just so I could have an author page some years ago. Can I change the covers so they are more aligned? How do I do that?"

Yes! To change a bunch of covers, your best bet is to ask a friendly librarian in the Goodreads Librarians Group to help you out. They know all the rules about covers and alternate covers and will be happy to get things right. Just post there and specify what you need help with.

message 25: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments Thanks so much. I have a large following outside of goodreads but I need to generate that here so this is all really, really good and so glad I came today. I'll begin with the give-a-way.

Cynthia wrote: "Bill wrote: "Kaya, if you don't have a "following" or if people haven't added the book you're giving away to their "want to read" list, how will they see that your book is being offered in a giveaw..."

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Paul wrote: "So I read the news about the beta program for eBook giveaways last month. How well is the program going? Do you see it lasting?"

Thanks, Paul! It's been going well and we're really excited about the overwhelmingly positive response we've been getting. Ebook giveaways has been on the wish-list for authors and readers for a long time so we're glad to have an option available for them now. We're working on opening it up to allow more people to use it soon (no exact timeline yet), so stay tuned for updates. Are you subscribed to the Author Newsletter?

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "Thanks so much. I have a large following outside of goodreads but I need to generate that here so this is all really, really good and so glad I came today. I'll begin with the give-a-way."

Awesome!

message 28: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Singer (kayasinger) | 16 comments I have to take off now. Thanks for all your support and the links to the other pages. I found it hard to find those pages on my own. Good feedback for whoever. Site is not so easy to navigate for right brain authors ( like me:)

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Kaya wrote: "I have to take off now. Thanks for all your support and the links to the other pages. I found it hard to find those pages on my own. Good feedback for whoever. Site is not so easy to navigate for right brain authors ( like me:) "

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it sooner than you think! Be sure to complete your bio so it shows up on your giveaway page...!

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Cynthia wrote: Are you subscribed to the Author Newsletter?

Yes I am, that was how I first heard of the beta program. Thanks

message 31: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 26 comments Do you think giving away more than one copy of your book in a giveaway (5, 10, 15?) impacts the level of participation?

message 32: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) | 63 comments Cynthia wrote: "Lily wrote: "Like Kaya, I also have a novel that I would like to better promote. Does Goodreads offer authors a way to connect with book groups/clubs?"

Hi Lily! We literally have thousands of them..."

Unfortunately the time it takes to cultivate relationships in these groups is enormous, especially when authors need to be cultivating other social media simultaneously. It's unfortunate that goodreads doesn't have a better way for authors to introduce themselves to these groups without feeling as if they are spamming!

message 33: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Bill wrote: "Do you think giving away more than one copy of your book in a giveaway (5, 10, 15?) impacts the level of participation?"

It impacts the probability of reviews. If you give away only one copy, you have a 50/50 chance that the one person who receives it will read it and write a review in the time frame that you want (contrary to popular belief, readers don't drop everything they're doing and read the book they receive in the mail (although sometimes I bet they wish they could!)). Publishers know this, which is why they give away hundreds of copies pre-publication on Goodreads. But even just 10 - 25 can start driving more awareness.

message 34: by Connie (new)

Connie Wesala (conniewesala) | 1 comments Sorry to have miss this discussion. Apparently my cell decided not to notify me on time. I'm going to read the discussion above. My book has done very well in independent bookstores but my sales aren't that high. E books sales have not been "good to me". I do want to start using Book Bub and will do a give away very soon. Any advice on selling on Amazon when you have few reviews - though excellent ones --? Connie

message 35: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 26 comments Cynthia wrote: "Bill wrote: "Do you think giving away more than one copy of your book in a giveaway (5, 10, 15?) impacts the level of participation?"

It impacts the probability of reviews. If you give away only ..."

That makes sense, thanks.

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Lily wrote: "Unfortunately the time it takes to cultivate relationships in these groups is enormous, especially when authors need to be cultivating other social media simultaneously. It's unfortunate that goodreads doesn't have a better way for authors to introduce themselves to these groups without feeling as if they are spamming! "

Yes, it absolutely takes time to cultivate relationships. If you don't have that kind of time, advertising might be your best option: you can target to fans of the type of authors and genres your book will most likely appeal. Self-serve campaigns can get started for as little as $25.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Thanks for all the great questions everyone! That's it for today. Please keep an eye out for the Author Newsletter, and pay attention to the updates on the Authors & Advertisers blog (you'll see the latest headline in the right corner of your Author Dashboard for more great advice, tips, and case studies.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.