Memoir Authors discussion

General > Exhange Critiques Prior to Submission for Publication?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moonwrite (new)

Moonwrite | 8 comments Hello--Is anyone out there looking to exchange critiques of unpublished literary work? Or is this site only for post-publication reviews? What about subsequent books in- progress?

At an agent's panel recently, an agent said that writers should never send out a book until it's been read and critiqued by at least 7-8 people.

I've written a memoir of the challenging childhood variety and am looking to exchange critiques with another memoirist who is preparing a memoir to submit to an agent or an editor--in-depth critiques aimed at improving the MS prior to submission, not summary reviews of already published work.

I prefer to read MS in an easily readable format (double-spaced, 1" margins all around) rather than e-book format (single-spaced, small) as I don't yet have an e-reader. Actually, I much prefer hard copy so that I can read on the treadmill or stationary bike, but accept that hard copy might be difficult to come by.

I'd also appreciate referrals.

Thanks,

Lynne

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily Chang | 7 comments Dear Lynne:

I wonder whether you have already found someone to exchange critques for your memoir. I'll be interested in working with you so we can help each other. If you're interested, please let me know at lilychangbook@gmail.com so we can discuss in detail to see whether we're a good fit to each other. Thank you.

Lily

message 3: by Chandi (last edited Aug 15, 2016 10:35PM) (new)

Chandi | 14 comments Hi Lynn and Lily, I am looking to share critiquing of memoir with a few women who are at the same stage I am with their manuscript. I have completed my manuscript and I’ve run it through a few drafts, (it is not in rough form, it’s in good shape) and I’m at the point where I’d like to get some impressions and critiques on a few aspects of the book, to help me know if I’m close to publishing time or if it needs some more fine tuning. I plan to self publish and I was thinking about a launch in early 2017. So ideally I’d like to jump into this sharing of critiques now, or at least get started in September. I look forward to chatting with you to learn more about your memoir and whether this might be a fit. Thanks!

message 4: by Lily (last edited Aug 16, 2016 08:28AM) (new)

Lily Chang | 7 comments Dear Chandi:

I wold be happy to do the exchange critiques with you. Do you want to start with first three chapters to see whether our review style works for each other? So we don't waste each other's time. You can write me back at lilychangbook@gmail.com. Thank you.

Lily

message 5: by Chandi (new)

Chandi | 14 comments Hi Lily, I thought Goodreads would alert me in my inbox if I got a reply to this. But I guess that doesn't happen. And I didn't get around to checking back here for replies. I will email you at the email you provided. Thank you!