Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Raven Boys
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Stiefvater, Maggie - The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) - Informal Buddy Read, Start Date Jun 6, 2016

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30835 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Book synopsis:
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.

His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul whose emotions range from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She doesn't believe in true love, and never thought this would be a problem. But as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14256 comments Mod
FYI - we did this as a BOM in 2013 if you are interested in the discussion questions, that thread is here

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) I became unexpectedly busy, so I haven't started it yet, sorry! I will tomorrow, though.

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) I've only read the first chapter and I love it too! Have you read anything else by Stiefvater? I loved Scorpio Races. She just has a beautiful writing style.

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) I just finished chapter 4 and I wish I had more time to read! I'm really liking this so far. I can already tell that these are some complex characters, and ones that I'm going to get attached to. Gansey is especially intriguing, the way Adam describes him.

Also, the premise is very interesting and I'm excited to see how it will play out. But also nervous, haha.

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) It's so good, isn't it? And I love the characters. I'm at 53%--right at the helicopter ride.

So what do you think of the whole "you kiss him, you kill him" thing? And Adam and Blue? (I'll add a spoiler tag for anyone else reading this) (view spoiler)

message 10: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) Not a problem!

I've read some more since my thoughts in that spoiler. I think that Blue will fall for Gansey. If she does, I think that will be the most interesting love triangle I've ever read about.

So far, I'm loving this. Especially the complexity of the characters and their relationships with each other. Noah is very interesting (spoiler if you haven't read chapter 28) (view spoiler) Ronan is another character I want to find out more about. And what's with him and that raven? Maybe he sees himself in the raven? It sounds weird, but it was mentioned that he's more "raven" than the other boys. The raven is supposed to be the bird of ill omen, and I wonder if that's how Ronan sees himself.

message 11: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) I finished it earlier today as well! It's definitely a favorite.

I like Adam, but I feel a little uneasy toward him after that ending.

And I like what Blue said about being able to have friends, but the problem with being weird was that everyone else was normal. And then she found the Raven boys. :) They make an eccentric, lovely group, I think. And I love them. I can't wait to see what's next. I've already checked out the next book from the library!

message 12: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) It's very good! I'm about halfway through it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Raven Boys (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maggie Stiefvater (other topics)