The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > Shetland and Vera

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Two of my favourite mystery series, and my wife's too, for that matter are based on Ann Cleeves' books. We just finished watching the last (3) Season of Shetland and it was the very best yet, lots of tension and fear for poor Tosh. I've read a couple of the books so far and I have enjoyed them too. Vera has been around much longer, in fact, will air its 7th season in 2017. Brenda Blethyn is excellent and her supporting cast as well. I've only read the first book in this series but I have a few others on my book shelves awaiting my attention.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1580 comments I also enjoy Vera and Shetland. I have not read any of the books.

message 3: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 560 comments I've read and enjoyed all the Vera books and just finished watching Season 3 this weekend, with the next two seasons on tap. I think Brenda Blethyn was born to play that role - she is Vera to a tee!
Also enjoyed the Shetland books, though not as much as Vera, but haven't seen the shows yet.

message 4: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments Bill wrote: "Two of my favourite mystery series, and my wife's too, for that matter are based on Ann Cleeves' books. We just finished watching the last (3) Season of Shetland and it was the very best yet, lots ..."
I've read the books as well and enjoyed the films for the scenery. However to make Perez a typical pale skinned, blue eyed detective instead of the black haired, darker skin, possibly part Portugese detective made me really cross. This is part of cultural heritage, which Cleeves added for a reason.

Love the Vera films, yet to read the books.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) I'd love to see the Vera series but we can only find it on Amazon video & it's $2.99/episode; how are you all watching it, buying it on dvd or ?

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1580 comments Vera is on PBS

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill On PBS, Lynn

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Which channel, Bill? I have several.

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill Skye wrote: "Which channel, Bill? I have several."

Vera is on KCTS 9 on Saturdays and I've been watching Shetland on British Columbia's Knowledge network on Fridays.

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) Is it on PBS during the day only? Becuz I've been checking our PBS channel's schedule for the evenings & haven't seen it (been checking for quite a while too).

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36273 comments In Chicago I used to watch it on the second PBS channel. But they never showed it on the main/big PBS channel.

Since I've moved to the Asheville area I haven't located it.

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I have never seen it advertised on any of my PBS channels. I'm in NJ.

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1580 comments Perhaps you can get it from the library on DVD?

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) Good idea, Thomas; but unfortunately our libr. doesn't have it; they have very little British stuff, unfortunately.

message 15: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1580 comments My library has suggestion slips for books or DVDs. They purchased two books at my suggestion. Move to North Tonawanda?

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments One of my favorite authors! I have been reading Ann Cleeves since the early 1990's and have enjoyed most of the series. (The early ones were the Inspector Ramsey series and series featuring birdwatchers that I never got into). As for the BBC shows I have seen them on PBS stations here in the trip-state area (NY, NJ, CT).
Skye - It looks like Vera is airing on WLIW the end of June.
Thomas- the library I work for purchased both series on DVD after someone made a request and Vera streams through Hulu if people have a subscription.

message 17: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1580 comments Susan wrote: "One of my favorite authors! I have been reading Ann Cleeves since the early 1990's and have enjoyed most of the series. (The early ones were the Inspector Ramsey series and series featuring birdwat..."

Love libraries!

message 18: by Una (new)

Una | 2 comments If you enjoyed Vera & Shetland on tv you may also enjoy Hinterland. It's a detective series set in Wales. I have just finished watching season s1 & 2 on Netflix & found them very good. I'm Irish based so not sure if they are available to view elsewhere?

message 19: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 927 comments I like Vera and Shetland equally. They're so well done.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments Una wrote: "If you enjoyed Vera & Shetland on tv you may also enjoy Hinterland. It's a detective series set in Wales. I have just finished watching season s1 & 2 on Netflix & found them very good. I'm Irish ba..."
Well this shows how often I check GoodReads! Love Hinterland and am saving the later seasons for a long weekend alone. It is available on Netflix in the USA-2 seasons at least- and our library has DVDs to borrow. Lots of Anglophiles in our town.

message 21: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair | 186 comments I’m here in the Uk and love both Shetland and Vera. Vera is set in my part of the UK - North East England. Because I watch them on tv, I don’t fancy reading the books.

Amanda

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1467 comments I started The Crow Trap this morning and enjoying it so far.