Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Please add cover

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy I just added this book, but discover I have to ask someone here to add a cover for it, for me? Here's a possible link for the cover I added for it on LibraryThing. http://www.librarything.com/work/9437129
Thank you!

message 2: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 1047 comments Not sure about using covers from librarything, I put up the one from Amazon instead.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy OK, that works, as it is the cover of the book I have. Thank you!

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42499 comments Mod
Gerd wrote: "Not sure about using covers from librarything"

Yeah, not a source we can use.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy I had a cover image in my photos, but saw no way of using it.

message 6: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20237 comments When you have made a scan of your own copy, we can add it to the Goodreads edition. You can add it to the photo section of your profile, or you can use an online photo sharing site.

We can't use images from Librarything or other sources that are not acceptable to use, even when you have added the cover there yourself.
See https://www.goodreads.com/librarian_m...

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy I don't understand "made a scan of your own copy", sorry. When I add a cover image for my own book on LibraryThing, I access my own photos on my laptop. It isn't the same on GoodReads, I gather?

message 8: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20237 comments Amy wrote: "I don't understand "made a scan of your own copy", sorry. When I add a cover image for my own book on LibraryThing, I access my own photos on my laptop. It isn't the same on GoodReads, I gather?"

It depends whether you create a new edition, or if it is an existing edition that is missing a cover.
On Goodreads, only librarians can add a cover to an existing edition.
When you create a new edition because it is not yet on Goodreads, you can use the cover that is on your laptop.
When the edition is on Goodreads and missing a cover, you don't have the ability to add it. Librarians can't access your laptop.
When you have uploaded your cover to Librarything, there are legal/copyright issues meaning we can't use the cover, even if you uploaded it yourself to Librarything.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Well, this was a new cover image I made, just for adding to GoodReads, which did not have the book in its system until I manually added it. But I wasn't a GR Librarian either, so that's why I wasn't allowed to add my own cover at that point. Right?