Yoga Folks discussion

Softer Than Steel Discussion > Softer Than Steel Last Third and Whole Book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 808 comments Mod
Anyone reading this thread should have finished the book, so all spoilers are okay here. If you haven't yet finished, please see the topics on the first and second two-thirds of the book. Also don't forget to include any favorite lines in the thread labeled as such.

Some of you may be discovering fiction with yoga themes for the first time. If you want to read more, there's a good Goodreads list of yoga fiction at https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... (which, in full disclosure, includes my novel).

Feel free to either answer these questions or just react to whatever struck you most while reading this novel.

1) What do you think of Rick as a character? Did you like and understand him? Were you rooting for his success, both professionally or personally, or were you secretly hoping he'd fail? (I myself was impressed with the depth of his character. I thought a faded metal rock stare would be an ass, and I was a little worried at the start that I wouldn't like him. But while of course he was in some ways, he was also a guy with religious Jewish roots with two grown kids grieving his lost wife and changing friendship. I found myself really rooting for him by the second third of the book.)

2) What are your thoughts of Sidra as a character? Could you relate to her in any specific ways--and if so, describe?

3) Were you happy with the way Rick and Sidra ultimately came together? If you were writing this book, would you have done anything differently between them?

4) What are you thoughts about the way the author unfolded the situation with the building: how Sidra thought Rick was with Thor trying to buy it out from under her and how Rick ultimately saved it? Do you have a place you either owned or went to a lot (even a favorite store) that's no longer there? How did you feel about that, and is Sidra's reaction similar?

5) If you were to write a final epilogue for the book, even further out than the epilogue included, what would you want it to be?

6) Overall thoughts on the book? (Total honesty here, please.) Best parts? Things you didn't love?

7) Any questions specifically for author Jessica Topper? (And thank you again Jessica for the gifted books.)

8) Any interest in reading another book as a group?

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Jun 09, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Michelle (mldmld) | 62 comments In response to "6) Overall thoughts on the book? (Total honesty here, please.) Best parts? Things you didn't love? "

I don't read romance, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but overall, I thought the characters had depth to them, which surprised me.

The inclusion of a variety of other characters added a richness to the story.

It was a fast read with writing that flowed well and it kept me interested.

I really enjoyed the yoga aspects, which is why I was interested in reading the book. The more a character practices yogic aspects, not just asanas, the more interested I am in that character and the author.

It was definitely a different kind of read for me, but it kept me interested.

If someone is a romance reader, I would recommend this book to that person.

"8) Any interest in reading another book as a group?" Yes. Depends on the book though.

message 3: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn | 29 comments I enjoyed this book so much. I could easily imagine the record store, her incredible yoga space, each of the characters, behind the scene lives of recording artists. Thanks so much for this opportunity to read this new (to me) author and participate in this group read.

message 4: by Meryl (new)

I agree MaryAnn that the physical spaces were so clearly depicted, especially that record store. Oh how I long for those small record stores, which used to be in every town!

I could also "see" the yoga studio in detail. I especially loved that it had a bimah and eternal light--such unique qualities. Would be fun to take a yoga class there!

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 17 comments I loved the yoga studio. Like other readers, I could actually see it.

Sometimes I got really frustrated with Sidra. She could lose her temper so quickly but I guess part of that was from being burned so recently. It just seemed she was so willing to believe the worst about Rick.

I am glad they got together. Now I have to go back and read the first book.

message 6: by Meryl (new)

Thanks for your comments, Jan. I think she was willing to believe the worst about Rick was because she saw him as a musician first and a person second. And don't we all fall victim to that type of stereotyping sometimes. A good lesson I didn't realize until you wrote this that the book also conveyed.