Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
This topic is about The Long Earth
The Long Earth, by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jacki Read for: Week 10 - author you feel you should have read by now

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett ★★★ 1/2

I was initially drawn to this book by the cover. Although I will straight up admit this isn't the best way to pick out books, covers are usually the first thing I will notice and THEN I will read the description. I've been fooled many, many times by my coverly insta-love.

This book did not disappoint! I was immediately hooked by the concept. Infinite earths that you can 'step' to. The earths are unpopulated (to start), wild and different from our own in initially very small ways but soon quite large. MC Joshua is on an expedition with sentient AI Lobsang (although claims to be human) to discover the ends of the Long Earth.

Adored this concept/plot. Interesting enough to keep the pages turning. Not overly humorous but still got a few chuckles. Details were spot on - could clearly 'see' the new Earths.

One of my favorite parts of the book was when the story cut away from the MC to follow other people and their unique adventures/storylines. This largely went away for the last 1/3 of the book and I greatly missed it. Story dragged a bit once we focused specifically on Joshua.

Will happily read more (especially because the entire series has bright and bold covers!), but not rushing out to do so.

The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1) by Terry Pratchett

message 2: by Zaz (new) - added it

Zaz | 3034 comments I need to read the last Discworld and I'll start this series. It's not as much known so I've few feedbacks about it. It's nice to see what you enjoyed :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Long Earth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Terry Pratchett (other topics)