Historical Fiction discussion

books to read! > Some titles please, of romance-'free' historical fiction/mysteries!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:45AM) (new)

C. | 10 comments Hi everyone. I am really ,sick to death of romance being thrown in every genre from Action/Adventure to Zoology!

Would love some historical fiction with none, or very little for a refreshing change[though I have read and loved lots of Historical romance], lol!

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Consider looking at the bookshelves of the Ancient and Medieval Historical Fiction group, and here's a link where they identify recommended books, too.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Like you and me, they also have a "no romance" preference, lol.

message 3: by C. (new)

C. | 10 comments Very good, thank you! Do you know if there are similar more modern historical fiction groups?

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) This is the best, of course. I don't. I also expect you will get some great suggestions from members here , but wanted you to have that list, too. Anne Perry is an easy recommendation as a starting point. I've read 5-7, and encountered no romance.

message 5: by C. (new)

C. | 10 comments Ahhh wonderful, thanks again.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments C. wrote: "Hi everyone. I am really ,sick to death of romance being thrown in every genre from Action/Adventure to Zoology!

Would love some historical fiction with none, or very little for a refreshing chang..."

Hi, C., and welcome! My highly-rated debut work *Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan* is a true story based on a journal and includes a marriage relationship but is definitely not a romance. Take a look at the preview and see what you think! www.rosettebook.com

message 7: by C. (new)

C. | 10 comments Hi Cindy, yes, something like that sounds very good, however I seldom read anything with less than at least 224-288 pages.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat | 10 comments C. wrote: "Hi everyone. I am really ,sick to death of romance being thrown in every genre from Action/Adventure to Zoology!

Would love some historical fiction with none, or very little for a refreshing chang..."

I've been stuck in medieval Europe lately. Lawrence Schoonover has several books that I got through interlibrary loans, my favorite being The Spider King. Daphne du Maurier wrote The Glass Blowers, very good. David Liss The Coffee Trader, Amsterdam in its Golden Age, or As Above, So Below: a Novel of Pieter Bruegel by Rudy Rucker for the Low Countries a century before during Spanish occupation. Then there is always James Michener. They are well researched. Poland was excellent. Happy reading.

message 9: by C. (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:42AM) (new)

C. | 10 comments Re: Pat, thank you for those suggestions. I have only finished so far with checking out ~Lawrence Schoonover. I think 'The Burnished Blade' sounds very good, and while I was checking out it's Goodreads page, I discovered that it is listed in the Wonderful Listopia list~
Historical Fiction that GUYS like, too! [which I made sure to save with my other Listopia lists]

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

So lots of great titles there as well.....Thank you! :]

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments C. wrote: "Hi Cindy, yes, something like that sounds very good, however I seldom read anything with less than at least 224-288 pages."

Great news, then - it's 238! :-)

message 11: by C. (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:46AM) (new)

C. | 10 comments Cindy wrote: "C. wrote: "Hi Cindy, yes, something like that sounds very good, however I seldom read anything with less than at least 224-288 pages."

Great news, then - it's 238! :-)"

Oh that is great news then! Sorry for that, but it's Goodread page says it's only 188 pgs!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Glad to hear that it is longer!

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments C. wrote: "Cindy wrote: "C. wrote: "Hi Cindy, yes, something like that sounds very good, however I seldom read anything with less than at least 224-288 pages."

Great news, then - it's 238! :-)"

Oh that is g..."

Yikes--thanks for the heads-up, C! I've made the correction to the description. :-)

message 13: by C. (new)

C. | 10 comments YVW, I hope many prospective readers were not put off by that mistake.

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (truthfulreviewer) C. wrote: "Very good, thank you! Do you know if there are similar more modern historical fiction groups?"
Read Jean Plaidy's books. Very good, no sex or trash in them. You can usually find them in Amazon.com

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (truthfulreviewer) Cindy wrote: "C. wrote: "Hi Cindy, yes, something like that sounds very good, however I seldom read anything with less than at least 224-288 pages."

Why is that?

message 16: by C. (last edited Jun 07, 2016 03:47PM) (new)

C. | 10 comments Nancy wrote: "Cindy wrote: "C. wrote: "Hi Cindy, yes, something like that sounds very good, however I seldom read anything with less than at least 224-288 pages."

Why is that?"

I feel anything less is not enough substance, just an appetizer.

message 17: by Pat (new)

Pat | 10 comments C. wrote: "Re: Pat, thank you for those suggestions. I have only finished so far with checking out ~Lawrence Schoonover. I think 'The Burnished Blade' sounds very good, and while I was checking out it's Goodr..."

I have used that list as well. I should have includes
Maurice Druon' The Iron King Series. I find there was a lot of very good historic fiction written in the 20th century.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments C. wrote: " I feel anything less is not enough substance, just an appetizer."

I started feeling weird that my novel was shaping up to be about 60,000 words (about 250 page), concerned that that was too short. So I investigated definitions of novel, novella, novelette (!), etc. I found they differ quite a bit. What really surprised me, though, was that several works we consider classics are brief, and it makes sense that they'd be chosen for a high school curriculum, or for college.

For example, here's a chart of the lengths of famous books. If you figure 250 words per page, a 240-page book is about 60,000 words . . . http://commonplacebook.com/art/books/...

message 19: by Pedro (last edited Jun 08, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Pedro Puech | 2 comments C. wrote: "Hi everyone. I am really ,sick to death of romance being thrown in every genre from Action/Adventure to Zoology!

Hi Cindy
The Two Chambers has no romance at all, promisse. Inquisition, prosecution, mistery in a story taken from historical facts.

message 20: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 8 comments Cindy wrote: "C. wrote: " I feel anything less is not enough substance, just an appetizer."

I started feeling weird that my novel was shaping up to be about 60,000 words (about 250 page), concerned that that wa..."

I really prefer novels of around 250 pages because I have found so many authors seem to pad their work to up the page count. Frequently, this weakens the book rather than strengthens it. Naturally, there are exceptions, but I save my long reads for non-fiction.

message 21: by C. (new)

C. | 10 comments I feel really, really cheated when I read a book that I really enjoyed that was too short! Ends too soon, missing so much back story, some supporting characters not developed enough, like I said .....just not enough to satisfy me.

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Mader Check out the author Edward Rutherfurd. I started with his novel New York, but he has many more ive bought but havent read yet. I know New York was about 800-900pgs, and i really enjoyed it

message 23: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 1 comments Just finished a wonderful novel set in 1920s Newfoundland.
My review (with images): https://fictionophile.wordpress.com/2...
or on Goodreads (without images): https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
 photo Of Sea and Seed_zpsg5ugyquv.jpg

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul | 1 comments "The Killer Angels" of course - probably one of the best historical fiction books ever written; if you enjoy Civil War history.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Hilliard (rhilliard) | 1 comments Good suggestion, Paul. 'Killer Angels' is a Civil War classic. In fact, it's so accurate and well-respected that it was part of the curriculum in my US Military History class back in college. And it's most definitely romance-free.

Michael Shaara's son Jeff has also written several highly regarded books about the Civil War. I haven't personally read them (yet), but they've received excellent reviews and I believe two of them were made into TBS movies.

message 26: by Beverly (new)

Beverly I recently finished reading "Dakota, Or What's a Heaven For". You can read my review here on Goodreads, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... or on my website www.bevscott.com

message 27: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Sharp (goodreadscomjr_sharp) | 4 comments C. wrote: "Hi everyone. I am really ,sick to death of romance being thrown in every genre from Action/Adventure to Zoology!

C, Check out this Historical Fiction without all the romance. This book will keep you glued. It is call, "FEEDING THE ENEMY." www.jrsharpauthor.com for a sneak peak of the first chapter.

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Walker | 6 comments For historical fiction covering an ordinary family living and surviving during the American Revolutionary era in which there is not a lot of romance, try my book "The Old Blue Coat."
Robert Walker

message 29: by Cathy (last edited Sep 02, 2016 06:49AM) (new)

Cathy Raymond | 8 comments Hi, my historical mystery novel "Sing What You Cannot Say" has only a hint of romance. The book tells parallel stories of a composer who secretly wrote protest music in the concentration camp Terezin and a modern day music history professor who gets caught up in a murder mystery. The stories intertwine and come together in the end. Romance is definitely secondary!

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Apostolico | 1 comments I just read an advance copy of Fräulein M., it was wonderful. It is a sister story set in Weimar Berlin, Germany, a page turner with very little romance and an element of mystery.