Manchester District Library Book Club discussion

2015-2016 Season > Summer Potluck 2016

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shea (new)

Shea | 207 comments Mod
It is finally summer and now we read whatever strikes our fancy and then come to discuss it with the group and share some tasty snacks. Let us know what you are reading.

message 2: by Shea (new)

Shea | 207 comments Mod
I just finished The Silver Linings Playbook and am now reading Love's Labour's Lost in preparation for Shakespeare in the Arb.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I'll be bringing The Planets by Dava Sobel to our first potluck. My goodreads review is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... I learned so much, but she shares her hope for what the reader will experience:
"If reading these pages has helped someone befriend the planets, recognizing in the the stalwarts of centuries of popular culture and the inspiration for much high-minded human endeavor, then I have accomplished what I set out to do. For myself, I confess that none of the truly staggering facts I have been privileged to share here has altered the planets' fundamental appeal to me as an assortment of magic beans or precious gems in a little private cabinet of wonder--portable, evocative, and swirled in beauty."

message 4: by Shea (new)

Shea | 207 comments Mod
I will not be at the discussion tonight. The Fair parade is tonight and Duncan is marching. I hope you have a nice discussion. See you in July.

message 5: by Patty (new)

Patty | 106 comments Mod
Yikes! I won't be able to be there either.
So sorry but health issues take priority.

message 6: by Shea (new)

Shea | 207 comments Mod
Oh No! I hope you are okay Patty.
Patty wrote: "Yikes! I won't be able to be there either.
So sorry but health issues take priority."

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Sorry I can't come as well--brother visiting from Seattle tomorrow, so more to do than I'd planned. I just emailed my review of The Planets by Dava Sobel.

Take care, Patty--thinking of you.

message 8: by Patty (new)

Patty | 106 comments Mod
So sorry to not make it to our book discussion planning session especially because I need to be sure Lorrie & Mary get our messages. Maybe some new folk showed up due to the Mirror articles which makes it important that the meeting was still held! And I'm sure Lorrie and Mary had some interesting suggestions.

I read Elizabeth Strout's book, "My Name in s Lucy Barton" and I wasn't sure how I felt about it but I think because of that, it would be a good book for a discussion. It's not long and moves along.

I hope to get a review done soon. I'm fine! Just a little bleep in life's plan. But getting on track again...

I've been attracted to and trying to read some of the wonderful "Self-Help" or "Inspirational Spiritual" genre lately.
One winner is Ruth Ozeki's "The Face: A Time Code".
Another, "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo.
I want to read something by Thich Nhat Hanh. Read any of the Quotes from his book, "Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life" and you'll begin to understand why.

message 9: by Shea (new)

Shea | 207 comments Mod
Here is my review of the book I just finished, I Am the Messenger

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I also gave it 3 stars, Shea. Here's my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

At the end, I said: "The disturbing scenes of violence in this book seemed almost like a film director deliberately adding scenes to get an "R" rating instead of "PG"--and THAT may say something about Zusak's idea of what the lives of young adults are like."