Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > A Horror Story with a Female Lead

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments I would like to read a horror standalone or series with a predominantly female POV with a bit of action and graphic content. I'll take anything that fits the description; serial killer stories, despicable crimes, monsters, ghosts, paranormal or contemporary, I'm open to it. Even if you're not sure if what you're looking at is something I'd enjoy, by all means post it anyway. I would appreciate it. ^_^

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Peele | 17 comments Stephen King has some great ones. Dolores Claiborne, Rose Madder, Lisey's Story, and many of his short story collections feature female led stories. So they're a good place to start.

message 3: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Thank you, Sophie. I've read Lisey's Story alreary. I believe I have Rose Madder on my tbr list but until now forgot all about it. Checking out Dolores Claiborne now

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Peele | 17 comments Rose Madder is probably my favorite of his, but Dolores Claiborne is pretty fantastic, too.

The Sookie Stackhouse novels are a lot of fun, though they're horror/romance.

message 5: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments I really liked Rose Madder too. There's also Carrie. The Haunting of Hill House is another but you may have read that already. :)

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Peele | 17 comments ::headdesk:: How on earth did I forget Carrie? The Haunt of Hill House is excellent. Also, I'd classify The Handmaid's Tale as horror, though many others might not. A bit more psychological than gore.

message 8: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments The Handmaids Tale is certainly horrific.

I've only seen the movie but I would guess Silence of the Lambs has a female POV.

message 9: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Yay! Thanks much y'all. I'm checking out em out now.

I've read two of the Sookie books, I'm a fan of True Blood but the books are not for me. Have no clue why that is.

message 10: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Amanda wrote: "Small WorldSurvivorThe AmuletIn the DarkAfter MidnightBlood GamesIntensity[book:Never Knowing|10169..."

My TBR pile just got a bit longer! Thanks! :)

message 11: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments *Facepalm* No, I've never read Haunting of Hill House which is crazy because I've read other Shirley Jackson stories.

message 12: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments I just finished it a week ago myself. Now I want to read more of her stories.

message 13: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Well I loved We Have Always Lived in Castles and The Lottery by Jackson

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 14: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments I'm looking forward to both of those. Thanks!

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Peele | 17 comments I don't think you can get a more tonally different adap than the Sookie novels to True Blood. TB is far and away more batshit/graphic.

Silence of the Lambs is all from Clarice's perspective, so definitely. I can't really recommend any of the books after it, though. Personally they enraged me in regards to her character.

I think there's a series called White Trash Zombie that I've heard good things about but have not read yet.

message 16: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Well I'll definitely check out Silence of the Lambs

message 17: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Never heard of White Trash Zombie

message 18: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments I've only read Red Dragon by Harris. I really liked that. The movie Manhunter from the early eighties, is one of my favourite films.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Under the Skin
When Darkness Loves Us
Audrey's Door
Come Closer
Survivor
The Keeper/The Missing by Langan
Bedbugs by Winter
Little Star

message 20: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Thank you, Tressa. Gonna check these out now

message 21: by Tressa (last edited May 08, 2014 10:16AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome. You got a lot of good suggestions,so you won't have trouble picking something good to read. I push Come Closer on everyone I possibly can. It's a tightly written novella about demon possession and a woman's downward spiral.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Kirstin wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Small WorldSurvivorThe AmuletIn the DarkAfter MidnightBlood GamesIntensity[book:Neve..."

No problem, hope you like them :)

message 23: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Oh, I've got the first 4 of your suggestions on my tbr list already. Maybe I need to create a shelf for these so I remember them.

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I created a "nightstand" shelf where I put books I want to keep virtually close at hand because I really, really want to read them.

message 25: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments I should do that. Sounds like a very good idea. Thanks for that

message 27: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Mine from Robert McCammon is really good.

message 28: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) May I shamelessly suggest my novel Rage's Echo? :) It has a ghost. And a female protagonist. And they don't even fall in love. ;)

message 29: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Thank you, Cathie and Jeff. Really appreciate it ^_^

message 30: by Rachel Diane (new)

Rachel Diane | 115 comments I liked Blood Games by Richard Layman

message 31: by Rachel Diane (new)

Rachel Diane | 115 comments Richard Laymon*

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Cathie wrote: "Houdini Heart
The Reapers are the Angels"

I really enjoyed Reapers.

message 33: by Cathie (last edited May 08, 2014 01:45PM) (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 220 comments Tressa wrote: "Cathie wrote: "Houdini Heart
The Reapers are the Angels"

I really enjoyed Reapers."

:) Poor Temple!

Your recommendation of Come Closer reminded me again of this book that I've had on my tbr list for a while. Will have to fit it in for 2014, definitely.

message 34: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 98 comments Lisey's Story by Stephen King is a very good one.

message 35: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Thank ya'll for all the great recs. I really appreciate it. Have any of y'all read Shadow Man. Know anything similar to that with a female lead!?

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Amazon has a cool feature that shows a list of similar books when you look up a book on their website. You may find some suggestions that way.

message 37: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Thank you, Tressa. I didn't even think of that

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Rachel Diane wrote: "I liked Blood Games by Richard Layman"

A lot of Richard Laymon's reads have strong female leads. He's well worth checking out.

message 39: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments You could give Faint of Heart by Jeff Strand a try! It had a strong female lead and was very intense.

message 40: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 1 comments If you think you would enjoy a vampire novel with a female lead you could take a look at Beauty and the BeastBut it does have a combination or horror elements and romance as well.

message 41: by Anton (new)

Anton (antontroia) | 136 comments Rosemary's Baby. If you haven't read it already.

message 42: by B (new)

B (sassystarfish) | 1 comments Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton. A necromancer, vampire/supernatural killing badass. totally recommend

message 43: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Shari-amor wrote: "Have any of y'all read Shadow Man. Know anything similar to that with a female lead!?"

Have not read that but you could try Whiskey Sour, I enjoyed the female lead in that book.
Also just finished Burning Amber by one of our own Paul Roberts, which had a strong female lead.

message 44: by Carmilla (new)

Carmilla Voiez | 14 comments There's
Starblood
Basement Beauty
Let the Right One in
Carrie

message 45: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 31 comments Some great recommendations in this thread. I'm almost embarrassed to sit my own stuff alongside them, but I've just published a paperback collection of three of my Lovecraftian novellas, which all feature female protagonists. They're also available separately as ebooks.

The Innsmouth Syndrome is about a CDC epidemiologist, investigating mutations in Massachusetts.
Sarcophagus is about a nuclear scientist confronting alien horror in Chernobyl.
Ashes is about an architect unearthing things better left undisturbed in Yorkshire.
Spoiled Children contains all three, in 6x9" trade paperback.

If you like the Lovecraft Mythos, and you're after female leads who do more than just look good in leather and kick people, one or other of those might float your boat. :-)

message 46: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments This may be obvious but I think horror with a female lead are good because usually regular horror novels or even films always portray the female as scared and out of her wits. However as stated, there are plenty of novels to which there is a strong, not scared and determined female ready to break away from the fear without running from it.

message 47: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments The House Next Door (not a favorite of mine but still), Four and Twenty Blackbirds, The Red Tree, The Stepford Wives. I believe most of The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton are told from a female POV. Julia, The Harrowing