Transgressive Fiction discussion

New Irvine Welsh book 'The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins'

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve | 19 comments Mod
Nice surprise after I read somewhere he was thinking of giving up writing altogether.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 244 comments Yeah I saw somebody added it to their reading list. Sounds pretty odd, not got a copy yet.

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracelessme) | 65 comments I just finished it. Great read. Quite different to his other books - I think possibly on the surface a lot more accessible to general readers. However, totally dark under the surface.

I have to admit, I'm a little bit scared about what my personal trainer thinks of me now.

Another great read from Welsh. I can't wait to see him (twice) later this month at the Sydney Writers Festival!

message 4: by Guy (new)

Guy Portman (guyportman) | 154 comments I'll add 'The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins' to my to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation. I plan to read Skagboys first though. Has anyone read it?

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 244 comments Nope. Got it on the shelf looking at me though.

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracelessme) | 65 comments I loved Skagboys. it's really heavy & depressing but a perfect prequel to Trainspotting.

I consciously made the effort to read Trainspotting again immediately before & didn't regret that choice.

For those that haven't read Trainspotting before, I'd be really interested to see what your impression is reading Skagboys then Trainspotting.

Trainspotting was brilliant but Skagboys really does how much Welsh has developed as a writer. I devoured it and could barely put it down. I felt so sad when it was over.

The characters in both books really have a way of getting under your skin.