Archive > The Husband's Secret - 15th June 2014

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
This is a buddy read for The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
starting on the 15th June.

Anyone and everyone welcome to join in

As everyone reads at different speeds, we ask that if you're going to talk about a specific point / plot (rather than your general feelings on the book) then please use spoiler tags.
You can do this by doing the following, minus the spaces:
< spoiler > enter the spoiler text here < /spoiler >

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5834 comments Mod
Just finishing this one and really liking it. I'll join in the conversation when you start discussing.

Bridget | 3 comments Really liked it, and I'm looking forward to the discussion.

message 4: by Paula (last edited Jun 04, 2014 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paula | 32 comments I loved the book! Our local book club read and discussed. The majority liked the book. It was a good discussion book.

Marnie (marnie19) | 116 comments We read this for my local book club. Of all the books we read this year - this one had the best discussion. We were split on those that enjoyed it vs those that couldn't stop rolling their eyes. I enjoyed it.

message 6: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth | 339 comments Looking forward to the conversation - I read this a while ago but I still remember it!

(Marnie, I was one of the eye rollers)

Sandy from Alaska Colón (sandycfromak) | 56 comments I loved the book. Not an eye roller!

message 8: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth | 339 comments I withhold further comments until the group has read it...

Erica (rickie1974) | 80 comments I also read the book. Looking forward to discussing it as well.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just finished today and I loved it. I keep switching between four and five stars. It took me forever to read, but not because I didn't enjoy it. For some reason, I kept getting pulled away from it. I think I only gave it four stars instead of five because I think if it was a five star read I would have found a way to finish it sooner. I don't know....4.5* :)

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on the book. I really liked the ending. I won't say why yet, but I thought it was really good.

Sandy from Alaska Colón (sandycfromak) | 56 comments Kristie wrote: "I just finished today and I loved it. I keep switching between four and five stars. It took me forever to read, but not because I didn't enjoy it. For some reason, I kept getting pulled away from i..."

Kristie, I read this last year and loved it. Are you talking about the epilogue? I thought it was the best epilogue ever!

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes! The epilogue. :)

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Ok, I am 32 pages into this and OMG Felicity needs a slap...and don't get me started on Will @@@:%%hh!!!!

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, Virginie! lol I can't wait to see what you think of some of the decisions later in the book! :D

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh, Virginie! lol I can't wait to see what you think of some of the decisions later in the book! :D"

I will keep you posted.
I have the feeling that I am definitely in for a hell of a read :)

Erica (rickie1974) | 80 comments I found it difficult to get into but once I did and was half way through wowser man....

message 17: by Virginie (chouettblog) (last edited Jun 17, 2014 12:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Ok, Is Felicity out of her freaking mind??!!!
How dare you (view spoiler).

I think Cecilia should open the letter and have it out with John Paul while he is still alive :).

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments lol Virginie re: Felicity! I forgot about that (it has been a while since I read this)

message 19: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Felicity and Will were idiots.

The whole should she or should she not (view spoiler)

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments Same here Lynn ;)

message 21: by Marnie (last edited Jun 17, 2014 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marnie (marnie19) | 116 comments Lynn & Karen
(view spoiler)
This book was filled with idiots- yet I really enjoyed it.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm not sure if these are really spoilers, since she finds it on page 13 and it is quoted in the book blurb, but since everyone else has used spoilers... (view spoiler)

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments lol Marnie!!!
I think it certainly goes to their relationship as a husband and wife as many people wouldn't think twice about opening the letter. I felt it showed that he was a bit more of a dominant player in that marriage... but that's just my opinion and I know there are always exceptions to everything!
It is just one layer of a very well crafted character development path the author takes.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Ok I think I figured out what is in the letter. John Paul is involved in the Janie situation somehow and sees her ghost in his growing daughter...

About the Tess, Will and Felicity situation...If Tess takes Will back, I will be very upset.

Erica (rickie1974) | 80 comments Virginie wrote: "Ok, Is Felicity out of her freaking mind??!!!
How dare you [spoilers removed].

I think Cecilia should open the letter and have it out with John Paul while he is still alive :)."

Virginie, it's so funny cuz I was thinking the exact same things when I was reading the book. You are making me giggle!

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Ok, I think John Paul is so guilty...about something to do with Janie...
I want to know what is in this damn letter!!
I know, I know, I need to keep reading :)

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments I now feel guilty about being right on this one.
I really cannot see a happy ending.
There is no way Cecilia can forgive her husband's behavior.

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keep reading, keep reading, Virginie! All I will say is that things get interesting and the epilogue is a bit of a shocker. :)

Katie I loved this book - so unexpected. It was the first of her novels I had read. I've read others and liked them but this one was most unique - a real winner of a novel in my opinion anyway.

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments What Alice Forgot was also a fabulous read

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have that one on my never-ending TBR. Though I also have it in my head as something I want to read, so I suppose it has some advantage over many of the other books on my TBR. lol

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments Lol I know what you mean ;)

Angela M All I can say is that this book was 3 stars for me since I felt it was like a soap opera BUT the epilogue blew me away and I gave it 5 stars !

Sandy from Alaska Colón (sandycfromak) | 56 comments I read an interview with the author and she said that the editor wanted her to take out the epilogue. Liane went against the editor and left it in. I thought the epilogue was the best part of the book!

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hadn't heard that, Sandy! I thought the epilogue was great. So glad she left it in.

Angela M I thought so too , Sandy.

Marnie (marnie19) | 116 comments I agree- the epilogue was very important to my enjoying the story!

Kathy | 40 comments From all of the comments, I think I have to get this one! Ty Virginie :)

message 39: by Madeline (last edited Jun 21, 2014 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Madeline  | 30 comments Angela wrote: "All I can say is that this book was 3 stars for me since I felt it was like a soap opera BUT the epilogue blew me away and I gave it 5 stars !"

I agree! That epilogue was awesome (the best I ever read). I wrote that same thing in my review!

message 40: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Ok, it's been so long and my brain is frazzled at the moment ... someone remind me what happened in the epilogue? (in a spoiler of course)

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments From what I remember (it was back in January I read this!) (view spoiler)

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Major epilogue spoiler (view spoiler)

message 43: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Thanks guys, I remembered all that I just don't remember it being in an epilogue as such. It was quite a while ago that I read it.

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The epilogue was definitely the best part!

I thought my eyes were gonna bug out of my head haha
I believe my Goodreads status that day was "wait.... WHAT?!?!?!"

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments teehee

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Nowhere near the epilogue, but is it bad that I quite enjoyed the fact that Tess really went for it, when she applied the ' to get over a man, just get under another one' principle in chapter 29?

Bridget | 3 comments Virginie wrote: "Nowhere near the epilogue, but is it bad that I quite enjoyed the fact that Tess really went for it, when she applied the ' to get over a man, just get under another one' principle in chapter 29?"

Not bad at all in my opinion...

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Ok, still reading...I know it has been a really slow week.

Got to the part where Felicity arrived at Tess's mum house.
Both Felicity and Will need to be slapped into next week!!
So, was Tess supposed to just wait around while those 2 got it on??!!

Rant over :)