Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Чехов
This topic is about Чехов
Book Issues > ISBN, page count, series

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ekaterina Okuneva (okuneshku) | 3215 comments Please add ISBN 9785235035140 and correct page count according to https://www.worldcat.org/title/chekho...
I guess it also should be included to the series "Жизнь замечательных людей" like the other books of this series: https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=Жи...+
thank you!

Ekaterina Okuneva (okuneshku) | 3215 comments Could anyone explain why this book can't be corrected? This is my second attempt to ask help here and no result for two weeks. What am I doing wrong?

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments I think it's the fact that not many librarians speak Russian, and this is not a simple request for an ISBN and a page count add (which I've added now).

The series you mention doesn't exist yet on GR, and it's not clear if all editions actually belong to this series. So it really needs looking into by someone who speaks Russian.

Ekaterina Okuneva (okuneshku) | 3215 comments Thank you! I've made requests about Russian books earlier and they were edited surprisingly quickly. This was the first one with no answer for 2 weeks.
This biographical series is quite special. It exists since 1890 and includes more than thousand of volumes, but the only common thing about them is cover style and series title. Well, I hope somebody will correct it in a proper way later.

message 5: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments That probably would not qualify as a series for Goodreads. To quote from the librarian manual:

"Imprints and other unrelated collections of works (usually by multiple authors) are not series. They can be grouped with a Listopia list, or the collection/imprint information can be listed in the edition field, but they should not be grouped into a series, or listed on a book's title line.

As a general rule, a book is only part of a series if that designation would apply to all editions of a work. To be a series, books should have characters and/or universes in common. In the case of imprints and other non-series collections, it is common for some of these books to be published under numerous other imprints as well. "