Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Archive > June 2016 Non-Linda BOTM-Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (last edited Jun 06, 2016 12:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments This sounds good I already have this on order.

message 3: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
That's great, Dee! I'm so excited about this one!! I got the whole set last month and I've been waiting to start reading this series... :D

message 4: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am guessing I will get this book this week.

message 5: by Eve (last edited Jun 07, 2016 02:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I have to admit that I'm not big fan of Science Fiction/Futuristic stories but this one sounds interesting. Quite surprised about age Range: 12 - 18 years.
I requested this book from the library (quite surprisingly they had this series available), so I should be able to start this weekend.
Look forward reading it.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments I'm so excited for you ladies!!! This is really a creative series! If you can, try too get the audio from your library. It is FANTASTIC. My husband and I binged the entire series in March. We couldn't get to the "next book" fast enough!

I'll pop in to see what everyone thinks about it.

Happy reading!

message 7: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I just started with CINDER and it definitely sounds interesting.

Quite surprised that its debut novel of Marissa Meyer. Her writing voice sounds very good and I like authors who create innovative storylines (especially if they are well written and good).

There are five books in The Lunar Chronicles. Wow.

message 8: by Dee (last edited Jun 10, 2016 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I have the audio, and so far I am on the 2nd disc. Anyway, so far it is good, however iI am having a problem with the cyborg and android idea, however I am open to it.

message 9: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I really want to read this one but I promised myself to read the In Death #4, #5 & #6 by JD Robb this month since I've been lagging behind in the group series read so I've decided to read at least Rapture in Death before I start Cinder, then Ceremony in Death followed by Nora Roberts' The Collector which is another group read for this month and then, finally Vengeance in Death. Hopefully, I'll get to Cinder by Monday. :)

message 10: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Sounds good Tanvi. I just finished this and I initially thought ho-hum another play on the Cinderella story. Then I read it! And I have to say it follows Cinderella in the loosest of terms. There is a prince (soon to be emperor), Cinder does have someone she calls her stepmother and she has two daughters. Oh yeah there is a ball. That is the end of the similarities. I also wasn't sure about the cyborg/android thing, but I really did like it.

The only thing I didn't like is the story ends on a cliff hanger. Although I am about to get book 2

message 11: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee, I've heard that the series consistently gets better! I am so excited to see what happens!

message 12: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments So far it is really good. I am looking forward to Scarlet the second in the series

message 13: by Eve (last edited Jun 16, 2016 01:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments The story was okay. But this book quite lost me somewhere when Cinder's stepsister falls sick with a plague after accompanying Cinder to a junkyard to collect spare parts for a repair. So I quite rushed to the end only to find that its not quite the end but cliff hanger. Did not get "the feel" of lead characters, the futuristic world created seemed quite strange (personally I like JD Robb's Death series better).

I'm not fan of the series that are tightly connected, so you have to read next book, and then the next one, and the next one, etc. At least with this series all books are already out and no need to wait for the next follow-up.

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I agree that I am not a fan of books that force you to read the next book and the next just to find out what is happening. It reminds me of soap operas and I HATE them. I also agree with you, Eve, that I really prefer JD Robbs series better.

I didn't have any problems following the story and I guessed about half way through when they talked about the niece of the Luna queen (can't remember her name) that Cinder was the niece. I wanted the prince and Cinder to have a relationship, but not sure if I want to read all the books in the series to find out if they do.

message 15: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished Cinder less than an hour back and I seem to be in the minority here, but I actually loved it!
It took me a few chapters to get the hang of things and to get used to the writing, the world of cyborgs and androids and the plague etc but after 50 pages, I just flew through the rest. There was so much happening, never a dull moment - I was constantly amazed and outraged at what all Cinder had to face from simple pettiness to outright cruelty at the hands of so many people. About Prince Kai, there were some really sweet cute moments where I imagined him with a sort of boyish charm around Cinder and other moments where he's a devastated kid trying to shoulder such huge responsibilities and keep it together for his country...I'm sure things will get better for him and Cinder as the series progresses.
Till the first half of the book, I thought 'yeah, it's better than I had expected, probably 3.5-4 stars' but the next half just blew me away!
I too suspected pretty early on that Cinder is actually Princess Selene, i.e. Queen Levana's niece but it didn't ruin any of the fun for me. It actually gets me more engrossed in the story when I know something that the protagonists don't know and then I'm excitedly waiting or dreading the moment that they figure it out - it's pretty entertaining for me - a different kind of thrill.
I don't mind cliffhangers as long as I know going into a book that it's part of a series. In fact, I love being able to spend more time with the same or more characters in the same setting and world for longer than the duration of just one book. It makes all the time, energy and emotions invested in the story worth it.
I felt so giddy with barely restrained excitement that I picked up Scarlet and hugged it close wanting to start reading it the moment I finished Cinder but I didn't since I have 3 more books to read for this month.
Maybe it's because this was the first fantasy book I've read since Harry Potter and Twilight or the first sci-fi/fairytale retelling I've ever read but I really enjoyed it. I can't stop gushing over it!
Okay, I'm going to stop now. :p

message 16: by Eve (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Glad that you liked it, Tanvi.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm hopeless with those sci-fi stories but I think that I will check out book #2 because I've read that its more interesting than Cinder. Its good that the library has all books from this series :)

Link to photos and artwork Marissa Meyer used as inspiration for the settings, characters, clothing, technology:
www.marissameyer.com/extras/inspirati...

message 17: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve wrote: "Glad that you liked it, Tanvi.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm hopeless with those sci-fi stories but I think that I will check out book #2 because I've read that its more interesting than Cinder. ..."

Thanks Eve! The pictures on that link are so beautiful! It's always nice to see what inspired the writer to write that story and what their writing process is. :)
PS: I usually run screaming from any kind of sci-fi stuff or anything that seems too technical, but this one just took me by surprise!

message 18: by Eve (last edited Jun 18, 2016 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments It was actually good and imaginative story for the beginner writer. And it was great idea to use fairytale(s) and give it (them) a new twist. So perhaps that is why I wasn't expecting this story to be quite so dark but more happier?

Poor Cinder. Outsider. Unwanted. She had lost her leg and arm when she was a child, yet she so bravely earned money for her thankless step-mother. Having to suffer from her step-mother's wrath -- to force Cinder to go without her artificial leg, to destroy Cinder's only friend. It was so cruel and sad **sigh**

message 19: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree, Eve. I too was surprised to learn that this was Marissa Meyer's debut novel - it was way too good for a debut author. I checked out her FB page, she seems like a really sweet person.

I literally screamed at the book every time more bad stuff happened to Cinder like 'no no no! how can someone do that!'...when she found Iko's dismantled unsold pieces on her bed..when Adri took her foot as punishment..when Pearl dumped greasy dirty things over the white silk gloves..it was too much.. I was so relieved when Cinder reached Peony with the antidote but then I cried when Peony died..and even after everything, instead of taking the opportunity to run away, Cinder went to warn Prince Kai against Queen Levana's real intentions. And suffered even more for her good deed.

But I was greatly impressed by her too. Every time, she got back up, tried to fight back in her own way. She is smart, caring, courageous and a very strong person and I really liked that. All of the suffering made her into an amazing person with a big heart and hopefully, now, a sense of justice. And the doctor is in her corner...and she'll find more people she can trust and join in the fight. I can't wait to read the rest of the series and watch Queen Levana and her minions get what they really deserve. ;)

When I read the synopsis on the back of the book, it said, 'This is not the fairy tale you remember. But it's one you won't forget.' in bold red and I think they're right. :)

message 20: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Okay, my curiousity got better of me, so I got rest books of the series from the library (am I happy to get into series when all books are out and available!).
So I am currently reading Scarlett. Cinder also plays important part in this one. Oh, and Iko is back :)

message 21: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I don't mind series, but I want them to wrap up the story line in each book. If I happen to read a book that is a cliffhanger then I am forced to read the next book to find out what happens. Diana Gabaldon did that in Echo in the Bone An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon . I read it when it first came out then I had to wait 5 years before I found out what happened. And, if the book is like Running Wild by LH where the author changes the publisher and can't finish the book we are getting ripped off. Finish the story then go on but don't leave us hanging.

message 22: by Eve (last edited Jun 20, 2016 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I agree with you Dee. I'd also rather read series that consist of standalone books but once in a while its pretty interesting to read this kind of series like Lunar Chronicles; especially since all books are out and you don't have to wait for years before you get to know what happen next.

message 23: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I like standalones; I like series where each book has its conclusion and not a cliffhanger like LH's Mackenzie series and JD Robb's In Death series and I also like series which are heading step by step towards one final showdown/resolution throughout the series like the Harry Potter series or Nora Roberts' trilogies where you get to follow a different main couple in each book but ultimately, they are all striving for the same thing. That's how I think of the Lunar Chronicles...and I'm glad I found out about it after all the books were already out. It used to be torturous waiting a year or two for the next Harry Potter book/movie to come out while I was growing up. :p

message 24: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Found these images of Cinder and Kai.

description

message 25: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I love them Eve.

Fluteak94 Those pictures are a LOT like what I imagined the characters would look like. I sat up and read the whole series till 4 in the morning. Have to complete Winter but can't seem to find the time.

Was it just me or was everyone else's hearts racing every time the characters got into some kind of trouble? I actually gasped out loud, covered my eyes (like I was watching a movie) during some of the scenes. I may have smacked my forehead during one. Suffice to say, I got involved while reading the book :P

I enjoyed the futuristic setting. But I agree that NR did a better job in the In Death series, but we have to account for the fact that this was her debut (?) series. I also loved the way Meyer incorporated bits of the fairytales into the storylines. The original tales are terrifying. Disney has really made them kid-friendly.

message 27: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Oh, yes, Fluteak. My heart was also racing every time the protagonist got into some kind of serious trouble or she/had to suffer. That scene where Cinder lost her leg (not slipper like in original tale)...it was so heartbreaking. It was also so sad when young Peopny died...although there was antidote at her lips and she was sooooo close to being saved. Or when Cinder found Iko broken to pieces...
Scarlet seems to have even more heart-stopping moments bcause now there are Cinder and Scarlet in action.
Yes, its definitely not Disney-like fairytale series.

message 28: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments so my friends do we want to continue on with Scarlet?

message 29: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I do! I tried to wait till next month to start Scarlet but I couldn't resist.... Oops! I started in the afternoon, and I'm through 25%... *winks*

Fluteak94 You guys HAVE to read the rest of the series. My body is still recovering from the stress of reading the characters' exploits!! I heard rumours that there may be a movie based on Cinder!! *squee* I did see one picture on Google that looked kickass!! It's the scene at the end where Cinder has the gun pointed at Levana, before she loses her foot. Atleast I think so. Whoever is playing Cinder looks good.
Hell, it may not be a picture from the set of the movie but I'm hoping it is!!

message 31: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Sounds good. Tanvi, I also read Scarlet. I stayed up and finished it last night. I have to say this book was better than the first. I now have Cress and Winter along with the next two novellas on order.

message 32: by Eve (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee wrote: "so my friends do we want to continue on with Scarlet?"

As I was in the middle of one big reading slump, then Lunar Chronicles came just in the right time. So I happily continue with this series. Thank you Tanvi for recommendation!!!

Scarlet gives more backround on Cinder and on why/how she became what she was - part human / part cyborg. I really hope Queen Levana gets what she deserves! To hurt little baby just so she could become the queen, well, it was so cruel and it pains to think how much that little baby had to suffer from the fire. Or how she created chaos with those nasty beasts. She's one Evil Queen!

message 33: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee wrote: "Sounds good. Tanvi, I also read Scarlet. I stayed up and finished it last night. I have to say this book was better than the first. I now have Cress and Winter along with the next two novellas on o..."

That's great, Dee! I'm alternating reading Scarlet and Ceremony In Death and it's my first time reading more than one book at one time. It's kind of weird but okay, not as tedious/distracting/confusing as I thought it would be.

I actually collected all 4 of the books back in May as soon as I heard about the series because it just felt like a really good one and I'm glad I did. I have Fairest and Stars Above as ebooks on my Kindle. The paperback for Fairest is too expensive right now and Stars Above hasn't come out in paperback yet so I will wait. :)

message 34: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve wrote: "As I was in the middle of one big reading slump, then Lunar Chronicles came just in the right time. So I happily continue with th..."

Yayyyeeee! :) That's nice to know, Eve! I'm also glad I waited to start this series with the group..it's so much fun when we can read and discuss them together. I know if it hadn't won the poll, it would have been sitting on my shelf for weeks just collecting dust while I took my time getting to it so I'm happy I nominated it too. :p

message 35: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Reading with the group, discovering new authors and books -- its wonderful.
I just finished Scarlet. Methinks it was better than Cinder, more action and amusing moments, but no avoiding scary and bad things happening.

Marika | 78 comments Call me surprised. Cyborgs? Mind control? Lunar/moon people?
You can tell its retelling of Cinderella but there's so much more new added to original story of Cinderella. I love Cinder. And Iko. And Kai. I really want to bitch slap Adri, Pearl and Queen Levana!
Can't wait to read Scarlet (Red Riding Hood. Right?).

message 37: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

If you loved Cinder so much, you're going to absolutely adore Scarlet! I'm almost finished with it..just 8 pages left and already I'm having to restrain myself from picking up Cress right away...there are other books I wanted to read this month..

message 38: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments This book was so good I stayed up all night and read it. I love how there are loose references to fairy tales, but with such a twist. I am anxious to get Cress. I have Winter and I know how important it is to read this book in order. I don't know if I can wait.