World, Writing, Wealth discussion

16 views
All Things Writing & Publishing > Importance of Networking

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Clear-headed article on the myth that a solid piece of writing will sell itself:

https://t.co/5zCocNnQO1

thoughts?


message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13063 comments Cool article, sober approach and from someone talking from the height of her own experience...
Sure, connections matter. On most agents' site you have a special entry to mention referrals even.
And networking is important everywhere. A writing guanxi -:)
It's important in Hollywood, where a newcoming actor or actress has to mingle first, prove the lifestyle by driving sportive car and renting decent villa. It's important in Silicon Valley that someone recommends you when you approach angels for investment. So our biz is no different in this aspect. If a famous writer like Grisham or King, endorses your work publicly I'm sure it represents a solid marketing impetus...


Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments It does. I pay more attention to editorial reviews than I do regular ones.


message 4: by K. (new)

K. Kidd | 12 comments Alex G wrote: "Clear-headed article on the myth that a solid piece of writing will sell itself:

https://t.co/5zCocNnQO1

thoughts?"


Alex - thanks for posting link to that article. Very interesting. Connections and networking are important! The name recognition part in the article caught my attention. It makes me rethink the fact that I used K. Kidd as my author name instead of using my full name.
-Kolleen


message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9199 comments Nik wrote: "Cool article, sober approach and from someone talking from the height of her own experience...
Sure, connections matter. On most agents' site you have a special entry to mention referrals even.
And..."


The problem for the unknown is to get the recommendation. All useful ideas that will work for someone who knows nobody are welcome :-)


message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13063 comments Maybe we choose and promote one of us and then enjoy the benefits of his/her glory? -:)


message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9199 comments A pillow fight will ensue on . . . at . . . to decide the lucky promotee!


message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13063 comments Sounds like a good mechanism... -:) Or we can add one more question or candidate on already scheduled events like Brexit vote or on Nov 7. Or just set up our own vote


message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Nik wrote: "Sounds like a good mechanism... -:) Or we can add one more question or candidate on already scheduled events like Brexit vote or on Nov 7. Or just set up our own vote"

ha ha, 7 November. i just voted in the california primary.

brexit vote?


message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13063 comments Alex G wrote: "brexit vote? "

Short for "British exit" - Referendum re UK staying or leaving EU, scheduled for June 23


message 11: by Alex (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

Alex (asato) ooo... that is a huge deal.

perhaps even bigger than the US presidential election.


message 12: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13063 comments Depends where you live, I guess -:)


back to top