Fangirl
This topic is about Fangirl
Book/Genre of the Month > Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - August 2019

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A, Crazy. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Share your thoughts on this book!

Katie 174 pages in. It's okay. It hasn't really sucked me in yet and I find myself skipping over the Simon and Baz parts.

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 61 comments I hope you end up enjoying it. I really loved this book

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 83 comments Tiffany wrote: "I hope you end up enjoying it. I really loved this book"

Me too! :)

Katie 336 now. I'm getting more into it but I still don't like Cath very much.

Karman (khwabieda) | 55 comments a good book, not that awesome, but good. the climax is nice though.

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 61 comments How are you all liking the characters??

Katie Finished. I gave it 3 stars. Levi was the only character I really liked. I really don't see what all the fuss was about for this book, it just seemed like a typical 'coming of age' story to me.

message 9: by Ipshita (new) - added it

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 2701 comments Mod
Fangirl has been chosen as the BOTM for the second time so we'll continue in the same thread.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan..

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving. Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

Share your thoughts on this book!

message 10: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma (marvelruinedmyspirit) | 20 comments I read it a long time ago so some parts of the book are foggy but I remember really liking it, although not as much as I did Attachments or Carry On.
I risk being unpopular, but I didn't love her romance with Levi? To be honest I was more interested by her relationship with Wren and their mother (even though I was annoyed with the first at some point and I hated the second), or by her progress in her writing class, or even by her friendship with Reagan. Or by the storyline with Nick.
I didn't really relate to Cath, but I remember liking her as a character, and even though I prefered her being friend with Levi to her being his girlfriend, I liked the fact that she read to him. I thought it was very cute.
Which is what this book is. Very cute.
Also I completely want to read the full version of Cath's short story for her writing class.

Selva | 13 comments Just completed it yesterday. I really liked it. I am not really a great fan of YA literature but this one was good. Characters, plot, pacing and everything worked for me. For some reason, from the very beginning I liked the girl Cath. Actually there was none I particularly hated in the entire novel. I even felt sorry for that guy Nick - Cath's library friend. Cath could have agreed to co-credit that story which, to be fair, both of them wrote together.

Deepali Kishtwal | 6 comments @Selva Subramaniam, I agree! The book has very well written plot and characters and the way Cath's character grew in a span of one year was amazing. I could relate to Cath very much. Wren, on the other hand, I found was too casual and breezy about everything, especially when their father got admitted, she was acting too practical towards it, which I didn't like. Levi Cath relationship was but awkward in the beginning, but turned out to be mature and amazing as the story took pace. Overall, I enjoyed reading the book. Although the ending was kind of shocking and sudden, I mean it didn't feel like a proper ending, don't know why!

Selva | 13 comments @Deepali True, what you are saying about Wren...she didn't care enough when her dad was admitted to the hospital. Maybe, it was a ploy by the author to show Cath in a better light. The mother character was slightly underwritten too. But disagree with you on the ending part...I was expecting it to end sooner like when Levi says any day he would choose Cath over Wren. But everything came together in the ending: Levi and Cath very going steady, her dad was fit and fine, she turned in her short story... Reagan was still in the scene..so I thought it was a nice ending.