YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Love Letters to the Dead
This topic is about Love Letters to the Dead
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira - Restarting January 22nd 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

It begins as an assignment for English class: Write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain because her sister, May, loved him. And he died young, just like May did. Soon, Laurel has a notebook full of letters to people like Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Amelia Earhart, Heath Ledger, and more; though she never gives a single one of them to her teacher. She writes about starting high school, navigating new friendships, falling in love for the first time, learning to live with her splintering family. And, finally, about the abuse she suffered while May was supposed to be looking out for her. Only then, once Laurel has written down the truth about what happened to herself, can she truly begin to accept what happened to May. And only when Laurel has begun to see her sister as the person she was; lovely and amazing and deeply flawed; can she begin to discover her own path.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone can join Rachel, Clare and myself to read Love Letters To The Dead on June 4th.

Are we going to have a set number of chapters a day or are we just going to start right on the word "Go" on June 4th?

message 3: by Sapir (new) - added it

Sapir | 329 comments Wow, I want to read this one too! It sounds like something I would enjoy :X

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82210 comments Mod
I'm not sure I'd know who the dead people were!

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Natasha ♕ wrote: "Anyone can join Rachel, Clare and myself to read Love Letters To The Dead on June 4th.

Are we going to have a set number of chapters a day or are we just going to start right on the word "Go" on J..."

I normally just read as mush as I can from the start date. You can set yourself chapters if that's how you work though. I'm not fussed. :)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm not sure I'd know who the dead people were!"

I don't know who Jarris Joplin or Heath Ledger is but I love Amelia Earhart! I wouldn't send a love letter to Amy Winehouse however... I might have to look these people up!! :)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Sapir wrote: "Wow, I want to read this one too! It sounds like something I would enjoy :X"

Please feel free to join us then. :)

message 8: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited May 08, 2014 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rachel wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm not sure I'd know who the dead people were!"

I don't know who Jarris Joplin or Heath Ledger is but I love Amelia Earhart! I wouldn't send a love letter to Amy Winehouse however....."

I think Janis Joplin was a famous singer, and Heath Ledger was an actor.

Yeah, heath ledger was the actor in 10 things i hate about you? and I know who amy winehouse is. i'm guessing there are other people in there though?

message 10: by clare (new) - rated it 1 star

clare hash (clarehash) June 4th is perfect for me! last buddy read before my exams, I'm sure I'll enjoy this one!

message 11: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments Heath Ledger was The Joker, in The Dark Knight... Some say it was that character that led him to suicide.

And I'll be joining this buddy read!

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments @Sarah + @Tatiana I haven't seen either of those films so I really don't know who he is! Did he commit suicide? That's rather sad. :/

message 13: by Sapir (new) - added it

Sapir | 329 comments He died from prescription meds overdose right after they finished filming Batman.

message 14: by clare (new) - rated it 1 star

clare hash (clarehash) I'll begin this afternoon! :)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments clare wrote: "I'll begin this afternoon! :)"

Its already 10pm here so I think I'll start tomorrow. I'm sorry but the that are exams coming up is totally mucking up my schedule and I have been busy studying and trying to finish Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins today so I couldn't read this. I hope you like it though and I'll start asap. :))

message 16: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments Rachel, don't worry!

I am tangled up a bit with City of Heavenly Fire, but I'll continue this one tonight, I need a break from all the getting nowhere of Jace and Clary.

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Tatiana wrote: "Rachel, don't worry!

I am tangled up a bit with City of Heavenly Fire, but I'll continue this one tonight, I need a break from all the getting nowhere of Jace and Clary."

Thanks Tatiana! :)

I have to start that one soon too but I am too nervous to! :))

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Just started this and its pretty interesting so far :)

message 19: by clare (last edited Jun 05, 2014 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

clare hash (clarehash) I'm only 10% in the book but I like it. however I'm scared to be dissapointed because it's compared to The Perks of being a wallflower a lot and I disliked this book so freaking much..

message 20: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments I'm at 8%, and I'm not really sure whether I'm liking or not...

clare wrote: "I'm only 10% in the book but I like it. however I'm scared to be dissapointed because it's compared to The Perks of being a wallflower a lot and I disliked this book so freaking much.."

I didn't like perks either. it was so boring.

Tatiana wrote: "I'm at 8%, and I'm not really sure whether I'm liking or not..."

It's freaking weird. It's like reading a diary.

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments I haven't read either but I hope neither are too bad. :)

This is ridiculously boring.

message 25: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments What bothers me is that this is all in letter format. Furthermore, those are letters to dead people, who obviously can't answer, so the whole thing is one-sided. Furthermore, I don't really care about any of the dead people that have been mentioned so far...

I don't either. Half the time she might as well be writing 'dear diary' at the beginning, because the stuff she's talking about is her everyday life.

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Sarah wrote: "I don't either. Half the time she might as well be writing 'dear diary' at the beginning, because the stuff she's talking about is her everyday life."

Sounds dull. :/

it is.

message 29: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments I don't think I'll be able to finish this, it's too dull...

message 30: by clare (new) - rated it 1 star

clare hash (clarehash) don't worry you aren't alone I am at 14% and idk what to do with it...

I found it ridiculously dull.

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Just started and read the first two letters. My gosh, is it little kidish!! And I have a feeling I am not going to know many celebs she writes to if I had to look up the first one!

I knew most of them, but I can't say I really cared. I did think it was quite funny that Tatiana's comment above about Heath Ledger in the dark knight turned up in the book!

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments I have never really followed celebrities at all so I know Amelia Earhart and Amy Winehouse at that's all so far. I don't know any of the other ones though.

10% - (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Sorry cannot opens the spoiler tabs at the moment, on my iPod.

18% - (view spoiler)

she doesn't really have much common sense it seems!

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments She doesn't at all. (view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 22%- (view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 25% - Stopping here for the night. I am bored and not really that into it but I like some of the writing. I hope it improves later. Will finish off tomorrow.

(view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 36% - (view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 48% - (view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 57% - (view spoiler)

Rachel wrote: "48% - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 60% - (view spoiler)

They're nuts.

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 63% - (view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments Sarah wrote: "They're nuts."

They are!!

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8557 comments 75% - (view spoiler)

Yep. I really didn't like this book.

« previous 1 3