Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Feminist Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
I see lots of members (myself included!) are eager to find some more graphic novels after reading Persepolis. Anyone have any feminist graphic novel recommendations?

I just read Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic last month and loved it!

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Curry | 1 comments Saga by Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples is excellent! It's wicked good scifi.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamariaa) | 7 comments Nimona is really good

message 4: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie | 184 comments Following.

I only recently got into graphic novels and so far my entire reading list has been Neil Gaiman's Sandman series (not feminist, per se, but he writes female characters very well) and Persepolis. Thanks for making this thread, I'll be sure to check these out! :)

message 5: by Kim (last edited Jun 06, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Kim | 26 comments I got a kick out of Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine. It includes the first 5 volumes in the series.

I hope my library gets the rest of the series. It is funny that the book had a sticker inside the front cover to say the no library funds were spent on the book. It was a donation.

message 6: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Not specifically a feminist graphic novel but a truly wonderful one that I can't recommend more highly:
The Arrival

Which does a wonderful job of exploring the migrant experience. It's a wordless graphic novel and the migrant can't read street signs or understand the speech of the people in the country he has come to so by telling his story without words the novel puts you in his experience. It's beautifully done.

message 7: by Bunny (last edited Jun 07, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Bunny http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/bo...

Meet the heroes of Paper Girls, a comic-book series created by star writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Cliff Chiang that opens with a familiar premise: a nostalgia-rich story about coming of age in the 1980s. Except that instead of the boy heroes that typically dominate ’80s adventures, Paper Girls is centrally concerned with the lives and relationships of adolescent girls.

Vaughan, who has also written for television shows like Lost and Under the Dome, is a prominent name in the comics world, thanks to his work on several very celebrated books that he co-created with women. He and artist Pia Guerra created Y: The Last Man, a best-selling comic that imagined an Earth populated entirely by women after a plague wiped out all men save one; more recently, he and artist Fiona Staples created Saga, an interspecies alien love story that tackled the trials of marriage and parenthood
In that first issue, as the girls cruise past through a pitch-perfect ’80s neighborhood holding brick-size Walkmen and passing “Bush ’88” campaign signs on nearby lawns, it feels like Paper Girls is shaping up as a simple slice-of-life period piece about four preteen girls in small town Ohio, a tougher, more dangerous Baby-Sitters Club.

That’s when the alien invasion begins.

Or at least that’s how it seems: Parents disappear into thin air, deformed figures wrapped in black bandages start lumbering through the streets, the skies fill with monsters, and the surface of time itself gets sliced into venetian blinds. The four girls are left to deal with this bewildering and terrifying new reality all on their own, without any adults who can offer them answers.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1 comments Rat Queens are incredibly awesome and relatively new comics/graphic novels. Badass, women.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Digger by Ursula Vernon. It won a Hugo, most of the major characters are female, it's funny, and you get a nice dose of comparative religions.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam Daab (scstadlman) | 2 comments I've recently started Monstress. It's a sort of dystopian fantasy world with a story inspired by the author's grandparents surviving WWII. Really interesting story that deals with racism, slavery, feminism, and a literal monster inside the main character.

message 11: by Salomé (new)

Salomé Limón | 1 comments Hi, I recommend Sally Heathcote "Sufgragette". They were big feminists and fought for the equality.

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana Jansen (troublana) | 1 comments I haven't read it yet, but somebody recommended me this one Olympe de Gouges (:

message 13: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (thestudiousstitcher) Bitch Planet!!!

message 14: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments Everything here is amazing! Wicked and the Divine is great too but I love all of you so much... can we be friends?!

message 15: by Lorelai (new)

Lorelai Berry (lorelai_raven) | 31 comments This might be a stretch, but I think that The Walking Dead is definitely worth reading. It's not like a "in your face" kind of feminist (like bitch planet, which is also awesome) but it is subtlety feminist and a GREAT read. Would highly recommend both the comics and the show.

message 16: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments There is The sirens a recent release which is feminist and wonderfully complex on gender issues as a whole throught time as well as space. The trade paper back is due soon well worth a read.

message 17: by Laure (new)

Laure | 390 comments "Nausicaä", by Hayao Miyazaki (<3 <3 <3), is in my opinion quite feminist - as well as an ecologist must-read.

As I've just advertised on another thread, for French-speaking people, the blog of Pénélope Bagieu, "Les Culottées":
http://lesculottees.blog.lemonde.fr/
I hope it will get translated in English!!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (longlivelibraries) | 11 comments If you have an e-reader, Suffrajitsu: Mrs Pankhurst's Amazons is pretty good. It's an alt-history retelling of the suffragette movement.

message 20: by Claira (new)

Claira Judd | 2 comments I would like to put forth the graphic memoir Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. The memoir is beautifully drawn, and wonderfully written, achieving both humor and grace. Though aching painful at times it is truly an awesome work.

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1071 comments Mod
Well, my list just exploded. Thanks!

For a superhero graphic novel check out Catwoman, Vol. 6: Keeper of the Castle and Vol. 7 Inheritance by Genevieve Valentine.

Catwoman takes on the problems of Gotham by becoming a crime boss. Sounds silly, but it's a tour de force noir redemption story. Read it because Selina Kyle bases her reign on other notable female historical power players and keeps returning to what would they do in these politically taunt times and because it talks about women in power without getting preachy.

It suffers in Vol. 7 only because DC was trying to connect the Catwoman books with Batman saga playing out across 5+ other comics. Do you need to know what is happening in the DC universe - not so much. Do you need to know who Catwoman is... yes. I personally find it rewarding the a known secondary character not only has a successful reoccurring series title, but that this feminist voice was heard.

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 34 comments I like the Kamala Khan/Miss Marvel and The Chronicles of Claudette (a kid friendly twisted fairytale style comic).

message 23: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 1 comments I would definitely recommend Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. It is an autobiographical graphic novel about her childhood experience during the Islamic Revolution. The illustrations are simple but powerful, and the story is an extremely compelling tale of a young girl's struggle with gender and cultural stereotypes. It seems especially relevant in light of current world events.

message 24: by Stella (new)

Stella This is a fun topic. I have two young sons, so am always looking for feminist-leaning books they'll actually read (and that I enjoy, too). I second The Chronicles of Claudette (Giants Beware! and Dragons Beware!). I also enjoyed Princeless (Save Yourself, Get Over Yourself, The Pirate Princess and Be Yourself). For nonfiction, there is Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas.

message 25: by Stella (new)

Stella Found this list today: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

I have read Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley. Also recommend books by Raina Telgemeier (Smile, Sisters, Drama, Ghosts) and El Deafo by Cece Bell.

message 26: by Devin (new)

Devin (devino) For things most similar to Persepolis, I would definitely recommend Fun Home by Alison Bechdel or The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui.

But for more fun graphic novels I have an endless list because I've been working through them myself. There's Squirrel Girl, Nimona, Patsy Walker aka Hellcat, Lumberjanes, Princeless, Seconds...

If you really want to get into some fantasy thought I highly recommend Elfquest.

message 27: by Laure (last edited Nov 30, 2017 12:59PM) (new)

Laure | 390 comments Hey there, great news! "Les Culottées" (best-seller in France) by Pénélope Bagieu is being translated in English!!!! :-) It will be published in March 2018.
Aaaaand... you can read the different stories online on the website of The Lily! The first one (I think?) is available here .
Enjoy!

message 28: by Krishna (new)

Krishna Anujan | 2 comments I've just recently started reading graphic novels too. I've enjoyed The Aya series, The Rabbi's cat and Kill my Mother.

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 265 comments Hollow, and the Hollow's Prism series, by Christa Yelich-Koth.

great stories, strong characters.

message 30: by Vivien (new)

Vivien Ayinotu (ayinotuv) | 4 comments I’m yet to try them out.

message 31: by Eva (last edited Dec 06, 2017 03:29AM) (new)

Eva (evagpinos) | 13 comments Hi everyone!

One graphic novel I love is Lola Vendetta, by Raquel Riba Rossy. At least for now there is no English translation, but it could be easy to understand with an intermediate Spanish level.

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 82 comments npr just released a list of staff picks for books. there's a ton of graphic novels listed: npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202905#/_

message 33: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 2 comments I also love Rat Queens. The characters are strong, hard partying, saving their world on their own terms. I find that Image Comics in general publishes a lot of series with strong, female lead protagonists, and not just your typical Marvel or DC women, who are great too, but you know what I mean. See my review of Rat Queens at grownupgirlsguidetographicnovels@wordpress.com.

message 34: by Hannah (last edited Dec 07, 2017 07:54PM) (new)

Hannah | 22 comments I think A-Force, Volume 0: Warzones! and Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain are great graphic novels about strong, independent women! They are about superheroes...I guess I don't know if that's what you were wanting or not.

message 35: by Stella (last edited Dec 17, 2017 10:22AM) (new)

Stella I just found this one at our public library: The Witch Boy by Molly Knox Ostertag https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... -- it's about middle school reading level. In Aster's family, boys are shape shifters and girls are witches. Only Aster is a boy who knows he's a witch. His non-magical friend is a girl who loves sports. Great ethnic diversity of characters. My son and I enjoyed reading it. Hope others like it, too.

message 36: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Stella wrote: "I just found this one at our public library: The Witch Boy by Molly Knox Ostertag https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... -- it's about middle school reading level. In Aster's fa..."

good link and story I have read comics for longer than the average age of OSS members and it has been slow medium until recent years with addressing its attitude to women. Indeed my good friend Emma T Clement OSS member is also a comic fan. Progress always good to see that we are getting there, to equality :)

message 37: by yasmine (new)

yasmine skalli | 5 comments it may not be related to feminism, but it’s definitely a graphic novel to educate people on the israeli arab conflict. the book is palestine: a nation occupied. 10/10 recommend.

message 38: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments The papergirls which won a goodreads award is another great choice for intersectional feminist content.

message 39: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments This One Summer, not Feminist per se, from what I know, but a strong female centred story as the critics say.

An Olympic Dream: The Story of Samia Yusuf Omar, same here, not Feminist per se but centred around a strong (in this case real) female character.

message 40: by Pablo (new)

Pablo (pablobi) | 8 comments Looking at some of the suggestions, (Saga, Rat Queens, Lumber Janes, Paper Route Girls) some are available via Hoopla Digital (Library). So if you want to read before deciding to buy or you do not mind waiting for the latest chapter in some cases, it is a great resource.

message 41: by Laure (new)

Laure | 390 comments New webcomic by Pénélope Bagieu on the Paris Review! :-)

message 42: by Clare (new)

Clare Rainey Excellent thread. Looking forward to trying some of these out!