Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth, 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language - An enjoyable rapid march through words in the English language, their origins and it flows to the next word, thus the circular. The author is funny. The longest one word sentence, Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. It is grammatically correct, referring to the town, to bully, the animal, It also covered such sayings as we are accustomed to and whether their origin is what is claimed or myth, Words like Halcion days which is about the weather when the kingfisher (Halcion) lays her eggs on the water--the origin, Ovid and his Metamorphoses. A fun book and I will read it again.

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Kristel wrote: "The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language - An enjoyable rapid march through words in the English language, their origins and it flo..."

It sounds very entertaining!

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments So, I am a huge nerd, and when I read this title I read Entomologicon and thought you read a book about insects. lol.

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Nicole wrote: "So, I am a huge nerd, and when I read this title I read Entomologicon and thought you read a book about insects. lol."
I don't recall if there are insects but there are buffalo and parrots so there might be insects too. It was a fun book that really took you everywhere as as the title kind of implies. Yes the two words are close so I wonder...insects/language. They might have a common origin.