Vanished- An Advanced Roleplay discussion

the compound > The Library

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ (last edited Jun 05, 2016 04:48PM) (new)

₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ | 250 comments Mod
Located in the eastern side of the Compound, the library is a tasteful selection of books ranging across all topics. To find a text, one only needs to look for it, and they are bound to discover it sitting on one of the shelves.

description

the_guiding_light | 61 comments Mod
It was a sunny afternoon in the Valley, as afternoons tended to be, and Samuel Fletcher smiled up at the bright sky as he walked barefoot through the thick grass, his sandals held loosely in his left hand. It had been a long time since he had visited the library, and he was loath to spend even a moment of such a beautiful day indoors, but he needed a fresh project. Between his newfound attempts at knitting and all of the hours he frequently put in at the greenhouse, it had been several months since he had given the thought of a new personal project more than just a thought. He could always find something interesting amidst the shelves and piles of books, and besides, the library was cool and quiet, a perfect place to be as the temperature only continued to rise. As he approached the doors, Sam paused to put his sandals back on, and brushed his hair out of his face.
The library was a magnificent building, as far as buildings went for Sam. It was only one story tall, and as he entered, he closed his eyes for a moment and breathed in the scent of books, only to open them again and marvel at the interior. The floor was made of brightly polished caramel-colored wood that seemed to glow as he blinked sun spots out of his eyes, and sunlight streamed through the dozens of windows he could see just from where he stood. The walls were almost entirely bookshelves made of some dark wood, still somehow as bright as the floor, and he could see several ladders rolled up to points where some mysterious bibliophile must have searched for books on the shelves near the white ceiling.
Sam smiled at the brightness and walked further into the library, wondering what he should look for and listening to the sound of his shoes on the wood floor, which every so often was interrupted by a wonderfully detailed rug. As he moved deeper into the library, he found the sunlight being replaced with bright lamps that hung from the ceiling and gave off an almost white light. He had hardly looked at the shelves yet, but took advantage of the quiet to give greater thought to what it was he wanted to do.

message 3: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) The stack of books in Eliot's arms was going to topple over.

Maybe carrying the books he wanted around this way wasn't the best way to keep track of them all; he did have a place to put them, near a chair where he had dropped a small bag about three hours earlier, when he came to the library directly after lunch. But he didn't want to walk back and forth between the shelves and the chair every time he found a new book to read, so this was the best solution. In his mind, anyway. He glanced down at the books in his arms, the number approaching twenty, and sighed, turning back the way he had come so he could drop off his selection. He had already read several chapters of many of the books — how else was he supposed to know if he would like them? — which was why his search had taken so long.

Sam had just begun to browse through a nearby shelf when he heard someone stumble nearby and turned to investigate. He never minded a bit of company when he was indoors, and besides, tripping over one of those thick rugs would be a great way to turn an ankle. It would best to make sure no one was hurt.
He carefully looked through a few nearby rooms, glancing from shelf to shelf but seeing no one in the first few spaces. He was almost ready to admit to himself that he might have just heard something, when he came upon what appeared to be a stack of books with legs.
"Excuse me," Sam asked, "Would you like a hand with all those?"

message 5: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Eliot started a bit at the sound of another person — he was used to being alone in here. He peered around the stack of books, seeing the person at the end of the row, and then looked back to the stack. "I think I've got it." He said, just as his grip faltered and he dropped all of the books onto the floor. He sighed, pushing his hair out of his face, and knelt, beginning to pick up the books. He should have expected this to happen.

Sam chuckled and knelt as well to help the boy collect his books, glancing at the covers as he picked them up but seeing nothing that seemed to do with what he had in mind. He nudged his glasses further up his nose with the edge of one of the books he was now holding, and shook his hair out of his eyes. He really would have to get it cut soon.
"I'm Sam," he said after he had nine or ten books balanced in his arms. "I don't think I've seen you around before. What brings you in here on a day like today?" He scooped up one last book and carefully stood back up.

message 7: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Eliot gratefully accepted Sam's help — just holding all those books was difficult, trying to pick them up by himself would be worse. "My name's Eliot." He said, not surprised that Sam hadn't seen him around. He didn't usually socialize much, and when he did, he stayed on the fringes. "I'm in here a lot. I love books." He motioned to the pile, which was mostly back in a stack now, to emphasize that.

"I guess I should've seen that," Sam said, grinning at the other boy. "Here, where would you like me to put these?" He couldn't fathom why anyone would voluntarily be indoors when the sky was clear, but he shrugged it off. There was still enough sunlight streaming through most of the windows for the building to practically count as an outdoor place, and he understood the value of solitude. These little rooms, though, with three walls of shelves, felt too closed off to him, and he was happy he had an excuse to go somewhere potentially larger.

message 9: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) "It's all right," said Eliot, a little dismissively. He stood, carefully, his eyes on the books in his arms. "Just... Put it on top." He said, not looking up from the stack. He needed to be sure they wouldn't fall again. Though he wouldn't be surprised at all of they did. "We're you looking for something?" He asked, sparing a glance at Sam. He wasn't one of the people Eliot usually saw in the library, so Eliot thought he might need something in particular.

Sam looked at Eliot in surprise. "I was, actually," he said. "What gave it away?" He paused, not long enough for Eliot to give an answer, but to consider handing the books over and going on his way. The pile only looked like it would topple again if he did.
"Are you sure you don't want me to take these somewhere?" He asked again. "It really wouldn't be a problem; I'm in no hurry."

message 11: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Eliot shrugged. "I should be okay. It's not too far..." He took a step forward, but stopped when the books lurched again. "Maybe not." He mumbled. He sighed. "Here, take some then." He stood as still as he could, waiting for Sam to take a couple books. "I don't see you here." He said in response to Sam's earlier question.

"Well," Sam said, "It seems like you'd have trouble seeing anything over all those books, but I get what you mean. I spend more of my time out in the greenhouses than I do here, for sure." He cautiously took another two books off of Eliot's pile and added them to his own and adjusting his glasses one last time. "Alright, lead the way!"

message 13: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Eliot sighed a little as his load was lessened, and he headed towards his things. "The greenhouse?" That was almost the opposite of the library, in his opinion. Outdoors, bright, plants everywhere.... Not where Eliot would choose to spend his time. "What were you looking for here?" He turned around some shelves, heading for the chair where he had left his bag.

"The greenhouse," Sam agreed. "Or the caverns every once in a while, or pretty much anywhere outdoors. It's kind of where I've always loved to be." He began following Eliot out of the room, moving carefully to avoid dropping the treacherously tall pile of books in his arms. "Today though, I just needed a break. I want to work on something different. Maybe something I can surprise other people with."

message 15: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Eliot nodes along with Sam's words, though he didn't quite understand the appeal. He didn't see how someone could spend all their time outside, but who was he to judge. "Did you have anything in mind?" He asked, turning again. The spot he had claimed was just ahead.

"Not really," Sam admitted. "I figured I could just look around until something popped out at me. That's what I usually do when I come here." He could see a chair ahead, and wondered if that was where Eliot would want him to leave the books. He hoped so, as the corners of the hardcover book on the bottom of his pile was starting to dig uncomfortably into his arms.

message 17: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) "Well..." Eliot paused, trying to find the right words. He still wasn't used to talking to people. "Good luck." he said finally. Reaching the chair, he dropped his portion of the books on the small table next to it, turning to take the rest from Sam.

Sam handed over the books, and rubbed his arms a bit, grateful to have his hands free again. "Thank you," he said. And then, suddenly, "You wouldn't happen to have any ideas, would you? Anything you'd like to see around the Valley -- I doubt I could build another library, but something new."

message 19: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Eliot took the books from him and put them down on top of the others. "I don't think so," he said. He was pretty happy with things the way they were, in all honesty. There was nothing he would really love to see. "I guess you'll just have to go back to looking around."

"Alright then," Sam shrugged. "If you change your mind or see anything in one of those books of yours, let me know." He figured Eliot would want to be alone with the pile of novels, and if he didn't have any suggestions it would be better to keep looking. He turned to the nearest shelf and started browsing at eye-level, hoping that one title or another would jump out at him, as they often had before, but most of what he saw were novels.
"I need some sort of manual," he muttered, rubbing the birthmark on the back of his hand. "A how-to guide." He was hardly aware he was speaking aloud.
As Sam continued to look through the shelves near Eliot, a clearer idea of what he really wanted to do formed in his head: something that everyone would be able to see; some sort of surprise, that could be ready whenever there would be a chance to reveal it.
Maybe another birdhouse, too, as long as he was building things. He hadn't built any new ones this year.

message 21: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) "No problem." Eliot examined the titles of his stack, pulling out one from near the top and settling into the chair to read. He could spend several days in here if he wanted to, and be had before, only emerging for meals. Of course, he had been sleep-deprived and regretted that later, but he would do it again. Maybe not for as long, though.

Sam continued to pace along the bookshelves, one hand trailing along the spines, eyes half-closed as he tried to get a solid idea for a new project to form in his mind. Every so often he would pause and pull out a book, only to look at it for a minute or two before putting it back with a sigh or a shake of his head. He hummed a few tuneless notes, and continued searching, now chewing on his lower lip with his arms folded across his chest. He thought of things he remembered from his early days in the Valley, after the incident with his phone. The appearance of the Shade had set a mournful mood for the next few weeks, and he had felt horrible about casting such a dark shadow over his newfound home. He had met Rowan shortly after that, and she had helped him adjust to life in the Valley, explaining the rules and how best not to break them, chattering on and on until he couldn't feel sad for fear of missing something she said.
His eyes caught on a glossy dust jacket with bold black lettering, and he slowly eased the book out from its spot on the shelf. He flipped it open, wondering if this project could possibly be beyond him, and then smiled. He had thought his birdhouses were beyond him once.
"Hey Eliot," he asked, "what do you think of fireworks?"

message 23: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) Eliot had enjoyed reading in silence for some time, concentrating solely on the words, so he could be excised when Sam's voice startled him. He looked up, lowering his book a little, his eyes slightly unfocused from reading too long. "What?" He couldn't recall exactly what Sam had said — something about fireworks? — and he wasn't sure how to respond. "What did you say?"

((Sorry for the absence!))

"Fireworks!" Sam exclaimed. "For a project. This book says everything about making them, and I bet I can find anything I need in the Compound." He flipped through the book, grinning wildly at the pages. "These would be super cool to have the next time we have a big celebration or something, don't you think?" He could remember watching fireworks shows with his parents, back before he had found the Valley, and his grin softened to a sad smile.
He flipped through more pages, settling on one that showed all the chemicals that could be used to make different colored explosions. He stared scanning what he would need, already mentally planning how he could work on them without anyone else knowing.

message 25: by Ema (new)

Ema (gee-fiera) "I... Suppose?" Eliot had no idea what to do in the face of Sam's excitement. It reminded him of his sister, in a way, and Eliot wasn't sure he wanted to be reminded of her. But Sam was right; it was a good idea. He wasn't the biggest fan of fireworks, not liking loud noises, but he knew most people liked them, if only for their colors. "I guess you can do it, I don't see why not."