YA LGBT Books discussion

Tales told - a.k.a free reads > June 2016 Creative Writing - Wheels - STORIES WANTED

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Our winner this month is this pair of guys - who are they? Where are they going? What are they thinking? Any length from haiku to novel - (if you're using more than one comment box in a row, please mark the end of your story somehow - like ###) Just keep it YA and LGBTQ.

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Aug 17, 2016 07:39AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Reserved for story links

Kaje- story
Darren - poem
Darren - poem

message 3: by Kaje (last edited Jun 14, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Second Chances

“Dammit! Because you can't!” My friend Louise stuck her foot out, blocking the left wheel of my chair.

“Move it or lose it,” I snapped, rocking back and forth like I'd actually roll over her. Not that I ever would. I'm a hundred and sixty pounds, not counting the chair, even with the atrophy of my legs, and she was wearing sneakers. But I get sick of being bossed around for my own good.

“All right!” She stepped back. “But I'm not waiting for you, and I'm not coming back. You hear me? If you're not down at the lot when the bus arrives I'm getting on it, and you can just wait for the next one.”

“I'll race you down there. Wheels beat feet.” That was pure brag. I mean, it's true on a city sidewalk, but not on the hilly trail she'd watched me drag my ass up and down this far, especially with the bumpy path we stood at the top of. Plus the quick route I was pretending to consider was never meant for wheels. “You're like a bitchy old lady today,” I added.

Sure enough, that did it. She visibly gritted her teeth. “If you break something, I'm going to sit back and laugh. You suck, Joel. I only came up here for you; you know that. I could've been home.”

“Painting your nails and watching cat videos. You're missing so much.”

She whirled away, and headed down the steep trial to the right. It was the fast way toward the parking lot, all right, but it would be suicide in the chair. I sat watching her slither and jump from step to boulder to gravel. What the hell did you just do, Joel Brady? The impulse to call her back was strong, but I clenched my hands on the rims and sat silent.

At the bottom of the first rough bit, she slowed, turned and looked up at me. Then she fumbled in her pocket. My phone beeped. I dug it out and read the message.

~You're not really nuts enough to follow me, right? Should I come back up?

She was staring up at me, her worried frown visible at a distance. I almost rolled forward to the edge, almost made a joke. But I was getting sick of my own attitude, so I texted, ~No. I just need a bit of time. See u down there

For a moment longer she stood, looking up at me. Then she gave me a wave, pocketed her phone, and turned to head on downhill at a saner pace. Leaving me up on Mount Troyis by myself, just me and my trusty steed and my stupid head and my bad mood. Crap.

The trail I actually could manage ran off to the left. It wasn't a total picnic, even with someone around to give me a boost over the occasional root or rut, but it was doable. Or had been doable, when we came here with my boyfriend Zane. Ex-boyfriend. Crap.

Flashes of memory from that day came to me. Laughing as Zane and Louise acted out a Tarzan scene, him scooping her up while I chased them with my wheeled rhino-substitute across the parking lot. The safety of Zane's hands on my chair when we hit the steep bit. Looking down from the top at the view, with Zane sitting in my lap, complaining about doing all the work. Breathing into the back of his short brown hair, the heat and sweat gluing my chest to his spine despite two layers of T-shirt.

I looked off to my right, at the view, which was still spectacular, and empty. Silent. Zaneless. Whose brilliant idea was this? I'm supposed to be getting over him.

Of course, this had been my idea, not Louise's. I'd show him I could have just as much fun without him. I'd prove how much damned fun I could have… Louise was some kind of saint for putting up with me.

The breeze cooled my damp hair as I sat. The sun was getting lower, but I had plenty of daylight left. I toyed with the idea of watching the sunset from here, and the fall of night. But that was too emo even for me, besides which the park closed at dusk. As I wheeled back and turned to go left, a couple of girls came panting up the path behind me.

“Look! I told you it was amazing!” The dark-haired one in front turned to me with a big smile. “It's hard work to get to the top, but worth it.” She ran a quick glance from my face down to the chair and over my legs, not quite disguised by the baggy jeans. “Hi! I'm impressed you made it up here.”

Her taller friend stepped up beside her and nudged her, saying in a stage whisper, “That's kind of rude.”

“What?” The first girl glanced at her. “I'm just sayin'. I barely made it on two good feet.”

“Yeah, but…” The other girl shrugged, as if unable to say why a compliment was a bad choice.

It wasn't the first, or the fiftieth, time that someone's praise sounded like a back-hand to me. I trotted out my practiced smile. “The eagles dropped me off. I'm waiting for Radagast.”

The tall girl frowned, but the smaller one laughed easily. “I'll pass word by way of Rivendell.”

When her friend whispered “What?” she added to me with a smile, “I'm educating her. She's from a very practical family. Don't hold it against her.”

“I won't.” I rolled the chair further under a tree to clear the summit space for them.

She nodded, then tilted her head. “Would you take a picture of us?”

“Sure.” It was actually kind of cool not to be treated like a slightly embarrassing piece of furniture, to be silently ignored, or glanced at only sideways while pretending not to look. “Where?”

“In front of the view?” She handed me her phone, and they posed with the backdrop of the valley behind them.

I snapped a couple of shots. On the third one they edged closer together. Something about the way their hands touched made me think they were more than best friends. I said, “I can take a couple more. If you want. Different poses.”

“Thanks.” They clowned a bit, then did a mock-embrace, the smaller girl leaning away with her back bowed. They looked at me as I tapped the phone, eyes sparkling but wary.

I thought I knew that look. It totally sucks, wondering if you dare come out. Wondering if the person who seems so pleasant will suddenly turn into a raging 'phobe and quote Bible verses at you. Or push your chair over a cliff. But although there were two of them, with working legs, and one of me, I still felt like I was the safer one. So I said, “My boyfriend and I used to come here. Well, my ex.”

I was right, because immediately they straightened and both smiled. The tall girl said, “One more pose then?”

“Sure.”

They turned to each other. We all hesitated, then glanced toward the upbound, empty trail before they moved in close, arms around each other. The shorter girl lifted her face, the other bent to meet her. They kissed, in the sun at the top of that hill, with the world falling away at their feet. I took the picture, and a couple more to be sure.

When they separated, the smaller girl came over to me. “Thanks. Really.”

I handed her back the phone and they bent their heads together, looking through the shots. The taller girl said, “Yeah. These rock. Thanks.” She met my eyes. I'm not sure what she saw, but she said, “Are you okay up here? Getting down, I mean.”

“Fine,” I said, waving to the left. “I'll take the baby route.”

Her girlfriend looked each way and laughed. “Then I'm a baby too. I'm not jumping down that other one like some kind of mountain goat. Hey, wanna come down with us?”

I hesitated, because I really wasn't sure I'd get down intact alone. But my black mood still hovered, and I wasn't going to inflict it on them on what looked like a date. “Nah. Thanks, but I'm going to hang out here a bit. Take some more pictures. I've done this a bunch of times. I'll be fine.”

“If you say so.” She glanced back a couple of times, as she and her girlfriend headed off along the easier trail, holding hands now. I just gave them a little thumbs up, and they went out of sight around the first bend.

I sat for a long time, in the shade of that tree. I caught myself wishing that was still me and Zane, back when we were new and teasing and finding out about each other. Although, I'd learned the hard way that wishing was for suckers. Work was what counted. Did I work to keep Zane? It was hard to remember now, looking back at that last fight with the bitterness and accusations and the way we each knew the painful places to stick a knife in.

People passed by along the trail. I entertained myself betting who would turn right, taking the challenge of boulders and loose scree, and who would go left and wander down safely. I usually got it correct, although a pair of middle-aged women surprised me by joyfully, and skillfully, taking the steep route. Their voices echoed back up the hill, even after the scrape of their steps faded. They sounded happy.

I hadn't meant to stay so long, but it felt like something was shifting inside me. If I sat here, and stared across the wide valley, and didn't pay too much attention, something in my head was letting go and rearranging. I watched a hawk climb on a thermal, out over the small lake. It didn't move more than the tip of a wing, and yet it soared higher and higher, lost in the blue.

I came back to myself as a cooler wind brushed over my bare arms, raising goosebumps. The sun was lower than I'd intended. I realized no one had passed me for quite a while, and I wheeled out from under the tree, because I wasn't dumb enough to want to be the last one down the trail. Just in case.

The so-called easy path seemed to have sprouted roots and brambles since the last time I was here. I wished I had my all-terrain chair. I'd insisted on coming here on impulse, and it wasn't my smartest move. The smoother tires of my regular chair slipped on the packed dirt, and failed to grip over the occasional rubbed-bare root. But I motored on. I worked out for this. I'd win any arm-wrestling contest, despite the creative handicaps Zane could come up with… Crap.

I'd just hit a flatter spot halfway down when my phone chimed. I stopped to check it. Louise. ~Are you okay. I feel like shit leaving you alone. Especially getting on the bus. Do you want me to come back?

I texted back, ~I'm fine. Needed the time to get my head on straight. Almost at the bus now It was close to true.

~Text me when you get on the bus, you bastard

~OK

The light was getting a bit uncertain under the trees, and maybe I was distracted, because one moment I was rolling along just fine, and the next I stopped short with a jolt, and a tilt. I looked down. The right wheel of my chair had slipped tightly into a space between two polished thick tree roots, canting me about ten degrees to starboard. Frowning, I rocked the chair back and forth, carefully at first, then harder, then with all my strength and as much throw of my body against the seatbelt as I dared. Nothing worked. I could get an inch of motion in either direction, but that was all.

I glanced around. I was on the trail. Someone would come along at any minute and give me that humiliating, helpful, able-bodied push out of my captivity. Motherfucking crap with a cherry on top!

I sat there fuming, helpless. I rocked and leaned and tried to force the rims until my hands ached. Because yeah, brilliant me didn't wear the gloves either. I'm just too pathetic to live. Oh, woe, my boyfriend ditched me, let me go sob on a mountaintop without basic preparations.

But as the light dimmed over ten minutes, and twenty, no one came down the trail. How embarrassing would it be to be found at first light, exhausted, having peed myself, still stuck on the trail? I cursed louder, pushed harder. Nothing.

Of course I had my phone. I pulled it out. Louise? She'd never let me live it down. What's more, she'd hover ever after like a smothering blanket. I just knew it.

911? I could do that. Call for a hunky paramedic to save me. Everything inside me writhed miserably at the thought. I stared down at the screen.

message 4: by Kaje (last edited Jun 14, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments My fingers moved of their own accord.

~Zane? Got a minute?

~Sure

That was Zane, always more mature than me. If your boyfriend called you names and said he never wanted to see your cripple-phobic ass again, would you answer his text with “sure” like that?

~I kind of have a situation

~I think I need more info

~How mad at me are you?

There was a pause while he apparently thought about that one. Or maybe erased his first “you can suck dirt and die” for something kinder. But no, that was me again. Zane wasn't like that.

~I'm more sad than mad, really. Why?

~Me too
I was shocked to realize that there was a sob caught in my throat. What the hell was that? I gritted my teeth, breathed in through my nose, and added, ~I'm sorry

~Joel! Are you dying?

~Smartass

~Just a bit. Really, I'm kind of worried

~I'm fine. I'm…
It took me a minute to add the next word. ~stuck

~For words? In mud? In a guy?

~Right. I'd text you in the middle of bad sex

~ ;)

I stared at that. ~A winky face? Seriously? How old are you?

~Older than you, baby face

God, I'd missed this. Just bullshitting with someone who didn't watch every word they said to me. On impulse, I wrote ~I miss you - stared at it for a moment, then sent it before I could think better of it. I quickly added, ~Also I am stuck before he could respond.

~Where?

~On the trail down from Mount Troyis. About halfway

~Seriously? Don't tell me you went up by yourself

~No

~Did someone ditch you? Do I need to kill somebody?

I sighed, staring down at the phone. That had been one of our fights— how fast he was to defend me, rather than letting me do it myself. Sometimes against threats I didn't even think existed. It shouldn't have warmed me to see that. ~Not unless you want to take on Louise

~No way. She's scary. You're on your own

~Big brave boyfriend
I wanted to call that back the moment it left my fingers. He wasn't, anymore. But I didn't want to type in “ex” and send it either.

There was another pause, then he sent, ~We'll talk. But right now, you seriously need help?

~Like, a thirty-pound added push to move the chair out of a rut

~That's not too bad

~It is when I'm ducking stuck

~LOL

~Stupid autocucumber

~Why not call Louise?

Yeah? Why not? But the answer was simple. ~You'll make me feel like an idiot. You won't make me feel like a child

~I thought I did

~Not really. That was OTT

There was another pause. I wondered if he was also thinking back to our last fight and the words we'd thrown at each other like spears. Whiner. Nanny. Reckless. Overprotective. Ungrateful. User. Blind. Overcompensating 'phobe. Spoiled brat. Sick fascination. Raging bastard. We'd hurt each other until he'd stormed out and I'd thrown a pen after him, leaving an ink splotch on the wall higher than I could reach. It mocked me every time I went out that door.

Eventually he wrote, ~I'll come. No strings

~Thanks

~On either of us

~Right

~10 min drive, 15 up the trail

~I'll be here unless a cute guy comes by first

~At least text me if that happens

~Yeah

I was caught between hoping someone would come along, and not. I'd like to roll on down, to meet Zane on my own terms safe at the bottom. At the same time, I'd dragged him out of his apartment, probably pulled him away from playing WOW. I felt kind of shitty about that. How much worse if I didn't actually need the help?

It was academic, because no one did come along. I sat in the damned chair, rubbing my sore palms and thinking wild thoughts about what I'd say. How I could spin this. Until I heard fast steps on the trail below, and Zane came into view.

He looked good. So damned good it surprised me, like I'd blocked out what a hot guy he was, in being mad at him. He had on a loose black T and a scuffed pair of regular jeans and he still was everything I wanted, jogging towards me.

I crossed my arms on my chest. “Took your time, huh?”

He stopped, breathing hard, and frowned. “I came as fast as… you shit-head.”

I laughed. “Hey, Zane, thank you.” All the stuff I'd planned to say disappeared out of my head, but that was what mattered.

He shrugged. “You know you can always call.”

I hadn't thought I was so sure, but here we were, so maybe I'd known, deep down. “Yeah.”

“I thought I'd find you, like, half upside down in a gully.”

I put my hands on the rims and shoved hard. The chair rocked forward an inch, stopped and rolled back when I let up.

Zane's lips twitched.

“Don't you fucking laugh.”

He snorted a breath, choked. “Monkey trap.”

“You're the monkey. Give me a push, dammit.”

He walked around me, eyes bright. “Couldn't you have gotten down on the ground, lifted the wheel out, and got back in?”

“Yeah,” I said softly. “I maybe could.” It wasn't quite that simple. My back was as fucked as my legs, and lifting the chair out of the rut while lying on the ground under it might have been a bad, bad idea. But there was a time I'd have tried it. “I decided to call you, rather than be dumb enough to screw my back up.”

“You sent your hiking buddy away.”

“Yup. That, I was dumb enough for. She's texted me like four times.” I kept telling Louise I was fine, fine, fine, heading home. “Heading” being a nice loose term.

He came over and squatted beside me. It was one of the things I liked about Zane, right from the first day, that he just naturally got on my level to chat, so I wasn't always talking to his ribcage. “We need to talk.”

I knew it was true, but I looked away from the intensity of his blue eyes. “Can you unstick me first?”

“I kind of like you stuck here so you can't run.”

“You ran last time.” The sound of that, both truth and lie, hung between us. Eventually I admitted, “I might have pushed you a bit.”

“Might've. Yeah.” He stood and went behind me. “Ready? Set?”

It took very little from me, added to his push, to get me out of the trap and rolling down the path. He's strong, even though when we lie down together, I'm bigger than him. He let go as soon as I was steady, and turned to head downhill, slow enough that I could stay close behind him. I wanted to say something, but it all sounded either trite or too real to say to his ass in those torn jeans. So I followed along the path, around the twists and turns. There was one more tough spot, where erosion washed the sand away from the base of a rock, leaving a step. He must've heard me bump and rebound, because he turned and waited.

I made it over on the third try, without help. He nodded and led on.

When we finally hit the wider paved path down to the parking lots, the sun was behind the trees, although the sky was light. Zane slowed for a step or two, so I could come alongside. We went on in silence. Eventually I said, “You're not going to chew me out?”

“For?”

“Ditching Louise? Taking the hill trails in my house chair?”

“Do I have to?”

“Nah. But you'd be right.”

“I don't need to be obvious, just to be right.”

“Smug bastard.” I bumped the back of his hand with mine for a second. He didn't look over, but I saw his lips curve up.

After another minute I said, “I'm sorry, for real.”

“Me too.”

We turned the corner onto the smooth part, where the old rutted walk had been repaved. I bumped his hand again. “Can we start over?”

He paused, then, to glance at me. “Can we have sex on the first date this time?”

A giggle I couldn't hold back rose embarrassingly in my throat. Our first time had been put off, and put off, with my fears and nerves and limits, and his worries and consideration. And then, when it happened, it was so easy and right we both felt like idiots. “That might be arranged.”

“Okay.” He turned and began walking again. “I'm parked over in Lot B.”

There were a ton of things we probably should talk about. I didn't know how and where I'd hurt him with my words. But for now, starting over was good enough. I pulled out my phone and texted Louise. ~Zane is giving me a ride home

I powered the phone off so I wouldn't hear the twenty chimes she'd no doubt text me back with. For now, I wanted to be here in this place, with just Zane. I reached out and took his hand in mine. His fingers closed, warm and strong, but he said, “One handed chairing? I'm not walking in circles with you.”

“Then pull me enough to balance it, lazybones.”

He stepped forward enough to add a little steady pull to our grip. “I was in the middle of Grizzly Hills when you called.”

“I figured. And don't say grizzly until we're out of the park.”

“Wuss.” He tugged at me gently. “I might want to get back online for a bit first, when we get home.”

“Oh really?” I squeezed his fingers rhythmically.

“Or not.” He picked up the pace, and I spun the left rim to match him.

“I'm an idiot,” I added eventually.

“I kind of have a thing for idiots.” After another step he added, “And you maybe had one or two points. In there somewhere.”

We moved on, out of the park, towards his car, holding hands in the gentle, falling light of a day that ended far better than it began.

#####

message 5: by Riina (new)

Riina Y.T. (ibxxxriina) | 469 comments Wheee! So sweet. I LOVED it :)
Thank you!!

message 6: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments :D Thank you.

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Nicely edgy without going over the edge. I loved the banter between the two exes and how Joel's predicament allowed both of Zane and him to get past being angry with one another. Louise was a fun best friend and supportive in all the right ways. Fun story.

message 8: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Thanks Jay <3

message 9: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Kaje wrote: "Thanks Jay <3"

You turned a potential downer story into a wonderful love story, and with characters that simply feel like family.

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Aw, you're making my day here. Glad you liked my guys.

message 11: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Kaje wrote: "Aw, you're making my day here. Glad you liked my guys."

Actually, I started reading your "Life Lessons" series again, because nothing I found on Amazon really fit what I wanted to read better than those two amazing guys of yours. Your guys are always memorable.

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel (melleach) Great story, Kaje.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments I love that one! <3
“The eagles dropped me off. I'm waiting for Radagast.”

The tall girl frowned, but the smaller one laughed easily. “I'll pass word by way of Rivendell.”

When her friend whispered “What?” she added to me with a smile, “I'm educating her. She's from a very practical family. Don't hold it against her.”

Haha!

message 14: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments :D

message 15: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments In reality I DO indeed ride wheels!
My wheelchair is a very agile, colourful one, fast and handy. I DO have to say that riding my chair with one hand, while holding my boyfriend’s hand with the other???? It requires superhuman capabilities ;)
Let’s see what we can do with the subject.

My darling, holding hands in plain view
Is not the easiest thing to do
For you
I don’t really care,
They already stare!
Nothing special, from my point of view

My darling, hop on my wheelchair
Much faster there
I care
About your frown
You look a bit down
Baby, if I don’t why should you care?

My darling, let’s grow some thick skin
I love you my man
You can
Smile and ignore
Although you abhor
This, and prefer to stay in.

My darling, I will be there for you
Stay here with me
Don’t flee
Ride wheels and be free
Gay wheels, don’t you see?
We’ll stand out, whatever we do

My darling, don’t make such a fuss
I’ll carry the weight
It’s great
Don’t be scared, be you
I am me, and we do
Make a great pair, be blind but for us

- Darren White

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (melleach) Darren wrote: "In reality I DO indeed ride wheels!
My wheelchair is a very agile, colourful one, fast and handy. I DO have to say that riding my chair with one hand, while holding my boyfriend’s hand with the oth..."

Perfect! I love it. It's very liberating.

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Thanks Mel :)
Gay wheels ARE a sight to see!

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Darren wrote: "My darling, holding hands in plain view
For you
I don’t really care, ..."

How wonderful - taking care of the guy who cares too much, because you know what counts <3

message 19: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Kaje wrote: "Darren wrote: "My darling, holding hands in plain view
For you
I don’t really care, ..."

How wonderful - taking care of the guy who cares too much, because you know ..."

That is exactly what it is. Thank you for understanding! <3

message 20: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Your writing makes it clear and straight to the heart (and thanks for coming back to add to this thread. I love seeing more stories than just mine go up on them.)

message 21: by Riina (new)

Riina Y.T. (ibxxxriina) | 469 comments Darren wrote: "In reality I DO indeed ride wheels!
My wheelchair is a very agile, colourful one, fast and handy. I DO have to say that riding my chair with one hand, while holding my boyfriend’s hand with the oth..."

Aw! I LOVE your poem! So lovely *sigh*
Also, Gay Wheels - I love it.
Thank you for sharing your poem with us!

message 22: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Riina wrote: "Darren wrote: "In reality I DO indeed ride wheels!
My wheelchair is a very agile, colourful one, fast and handy. I DO have to say that riding my chair with one hand, while holding my boyfriend’s ha..."

Ohh, thank you so much :)
It is so nice to be here, and use these challenges to write poems. And yes, I love my gay wheels haha.

message 23: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments HOLDING HANDS

I know you like to hold my hand love, I honestly do
The world is a muddy place, I’d prefer you take the handles and push me instead
But that is not so intimate, in fact it is quite the opposite
You push me
I have no free will
You bring me to wherever you want me to be
Is that what’s going through your mind my love?
Is that why you prefer to hold my hand and look straight ahead to the path?

My darling, acceptance is accepting us as a whole
You with legs
I with wheels
I accept that you walk
I accept you pushing my chair
I would even prefer that under these circumstances because, frankly, I am tired
And I trust you
Why don’t you trust yourself?
Just relax. I am a boy like you, I like to laugh and make love to you
I love to hold hands in public, always.
Except now
I am just a pragmatic, love
Honestly
Steering with one hand is not something I do for fun
Except in wheelchair basketball!

So push my chair and when we are finally in the pub
We’ll sit close together with our beers
We’ll kiss
We’ll hold hands
I love you!

- Darren

message 24: by Mel (new)

Mel (melleach) Darren wrote: "HOLDING HANDS

But that is not so intimate, in fact it is quite t..."

Lovely... and practical! But seriously, I think there is a very important message here. People... all people... want to be accepted for who they are as they are. And it is often uncomfortable on both sides. I found this poem to be an open invitation to acceptance. Thank you for sharing it.

message 25: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments You are most welcome, that is exactly how it is intended :)

message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Darren wrote: "HOLDING HANDS

But that is not so intimate, in fact it is quite t..."

<3 I admit I wondered about that in the pic - but I figured if the boyfriend can pull enough for balance, it could just about work. Great poem with a message.

message 27: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments <3 I admit I wondered about that in the pic - but I figured if the boyfriend can pull enough for balance, it could just about work. Great poem with a message.

Haha, yes. It might, but the walking and steering and all would be perfectly imbalanced, tiresome, and time consuming ;)
It IS a nice picture though, with a message!

message 28: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments SOME DAYS

Today I am in bed, my wheels in a corner,
Bored and dusty.
Sometimes it hurts inside and out.
I wait for you.
Sometimes I feel a little,
Just a LITTLE,
Sorry for myself.
Soon they will try to fix a little bit.
Perhaps my world will expand
beyond this room and hospitals.
Will you be there for me
When I wake up?
And talk to me and hold my hand?
I do not need to walk,
Walking is just secondary,
Strange as it may sound.
As long as you are here,
And pain is less,
There's nothing that I fear.
Just to hear your voice
Telling me I will be all good,
All fine?
I want my wheels
with me inside
Racing!
With you running behind me
Out of breath. Now wouldn't
that be nice?

message 29: by Mel (new)

Mel (melleach) Darren wrote: "SOME DAYS

Today I am in bed, my wheels in a corner,
Bored and dusty.
Sometimes it hurts inside and out.
I wait for you.
Sometimes I feel a little,
Just a LITTLE,
Sorry for myself.
Soon they will t..."

Oh wow!! This is stunning, Darren. Emotionally raw and yet full of hope and promise.

message 30: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16667 comments Lovely hope in that Darren. <3

message 31: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments Thank you Mel and Kaje <3