What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Shipwrecks

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lis (new)

Lis (lis_mvs) | 7 comments Books (fiction, nonfiction, short stories) on shipwrecks, in English or Spanish. Other epic sea adventures considered. Thank you!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37566 comments Mod
A Night to Remember about the sinking of the Titanic is great.

The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea is spellbinding.

message 4: by David (new)

David Rose | 50 comments Geoffrey Jenkins has written a number of books featuring shipwrecks, although his stories usually take place after the event. I'd suggest starting with Scend of the Sea if you think you'd like him.
Hammond Innes is another, The Wreck Of The Mary Deare perhaps his best known.
You might also try Nicholas Monsarrat, best known for The Cruel Sea: two of his 'shipwreck' stories (both war stories, so I'm not sure if they qualify for you) are The Ship That Died of Shame and HMS Marlborough Will Enter Harbour.
Contemporary writer Sam Llewellyn has a number of yachting thrillers which involve shipwrecks, you might try Dead Reckoning.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Diaz | 224 comments There was this Disney movie I saw when I was a kid, it was called Shipwreck. It was based on a book called Haakon Haakonsen: En norsk Robinson by Oluf Vilhelm Falck-Ytter. Hope you find it and read it. I am on the search for it now.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
The Swiss Family Robinson is the first one that comes to mind.

(I'm going to second the Wreck of the Mary Deare book)

Baby Island is a kids book about 2 little girls (8 to 12, iirc) who are shipwrecked and stranded on a "desert island" with 3 to 5 babies. I read that when I was a kid, and have passed it on to my daughter and then my grandsons (who didn't like it because they were at the "all girls are ucky" stage.)

message 8: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) | 132 comments Amy wrote: "There was this Disney movie I saw when I was a kid, it was called Shipwreck. It was based on a book called Haakon Haakonsen: En norsk Robinson by Oluf Vilhelm Falck-Ytter. Hope you find it and read..."

I hope you can find it; I grew up with the movie too!

message 9: by Volkun (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) | 132 comments There is also:

Seashores and Shadows (Takeaways) by Colin Thiele The Mysterious Island (Extraordinary Voyages, #12) by Jules Verne The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Matthews I enjoyed Unspeakable.

message 12: by Lis (new)

Lis (lis_mvs) | 7 comments Thank you, everyone!

message 15: by Electric (new)

Electric Bubbles (electricbubbles) | 57 comments Are you primarily looking for books about surviving on an island? Or sea adventures?

message 16: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 390 comments Twelfth Night, by William Shakespeare
Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Odyssey, by Homer
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by C.S. Lewis
Out of the Storm, by Grace Livingston Hill
Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell
Call It Courage, by Armstrong Sperry
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas, by Jules Verne

message 17: by Nente (new)

Nente | 68 comments The Golden Ocean by Patrick O'Brian is a half-fictional account of a round-the-world voyage.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 19: by Jessica (new)

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 475 comments The Terror by Dan Simmons is about a kind of slow motion shipwreck about life on a ship that's caught in ice for years as it slowly falls apart. It's a fictional take on what might have happened to the ships commanded by Sir John Franklin that set out to map the Northwest Passage in the 1800s. It's historical fact that no one came back, but the real expedition probably didn't have to deal with supernatural danger on top of everything else.

message 22: by Rosa (new)