#AYEARATHON discussion

June 2016 - LGBTQQIAAP+ > Update On Reading Progress - Day's 1 & 2

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ke-sha (new)

ke-sha (angel707) | 2008 comments Mod
How's your first days of reading going?

I'm also hoping to participate in #TomeTopple this week as well so I'll be updating my progress for that here as well just in case anyone is interested. Is there another ReadAThon you guys are participating in as well!

message 2: by Harry (new)

Harry Smith ke-sha wrote: "How's your first days of reading going?

I'm also hoping to participate in #TomeTopple this week as well so I'll be updating my progress for that here as well just in case anyone is interested. Is ..."

It's just gone one minute into day one in my timezone. After a library raid I have too many to choose from to start... Best of luck reading and damn, I saw TomeTopple but it looked too intimidating :P

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I started this months theme a bit early since I am working a ton this week and have no clue how much time I will have to read. I already finished None of the Above. I gave it a 3/5. I liked that it was a topic that I have very little knowledge of and it was educational, but I didn't love this book. I think that people should read this book it gives you a different perspective about gender and sex, but the main character was not my favorite. :P She kinda annoyed me.

message 4: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 104 comments I'm also participating in #wanderreads this week.

message 5: by Paget (new)

Paget | 118 comments Good morning everyone. I am also participating in #HPReadathon2016. It is starting today and I am going to start Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

But before I start HP I am going to read a couple of pages of Maurice by E.M. Forster

message 6: by NomNom (new)

NomNom (mindofshadows) | 17 comments I started earlier with the #AYEARATHON because I'm pretty busy this week.

So far this is my progress:
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Finished
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Just started
Griekse en Romeinse Mythen en Sagen by Merit Roodbeen Just started

I've read a total of 461 pages. I'm actually very glad because it normally takes me three weeks or so to finish one book. :)

message 7: by Harry (new)

Harry Smith MindOfShadows wrote: "I started earlier with the #AYEARATHON because I'm pretty busy this week.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Finished
[bookco..."

Damn that is hella impressive. Was Dante and Ari good? I've heard so many wonderful things about it, I really hope I get the chance to read it.

message 8: by Harry (new)

Harry Smith Just finished Dare Me and I have to say it was far, far better than I ever expected - I've never finished a book that long in one day before, but I couldn't put it down. Having started Blue is the Warmest Color I'm totaling at 363 pages at the end of the first day for me. Hope everyone's reading is going well!

message 9: by Paget (last edited Jun 06, 2016 03:19PM) (new)

Paget | 118 comments Day 1: I started and finished Maurice. First I had difficulties with the writing but I got use to it and the characters and the story grew on me. I really enjoyed it. 246 pages.
And I read the first 3 chapters of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. This is the first time I don't binge read this.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Just started Beauty Queenstoday. It's really funny so far. I'm about 15% into it.

So now I have finished None of the Above and have a bit of a start on second book. I consider this a great start. :D

Jacquie (Rattle the Stars) | 5 comments My day one progress has been added to my blog. I finished Unicorn Tracks today and loved it! https://rattlethestarssite.wordpress....

message 12: by ke-sha (last edited Jun 06, 2016 08:29PM) (new)

Harry wrote: "ke-sha wrote: "How's your first days of reading going?

I'm also hoping to participate in #TomeTopple this week as well so I'll be updating my progress for that here as well just in case anyone is ..."

Aww i know that strugge. I was want to read all the book now at the same time, but since i do not know how to do that it must be one at a time lol.

Lol in my TBR video about #TOMETOPPLE I was like if i im to busy its probably not gong to happen. See how i gave myself an out there haha

Happy Reading :)

message 13: by ke-sha (last edited Jun 06, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Day one Finished a Book Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1) by Mark Lawrence I read 155 pages. Now im going to start a book that's on my #AYEARATHON tbr.

Happy Reading Everyone!!!

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readingfox91) | 42 comments Finishing the day having read 30% of Carry On so today has been good!

message 15: by Kirsten (last edited Jun 07, 2016 12:50AM) (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 164 comments Hmm Day 1 consisted of me pulling out my possible books for this read-a-thon, taking a picture of them, then picking up Every Day (Every Day, #1) by David Levithan and reading 10 pages before falling asleep. oops!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGVIJEdmi-Y/ <--said photo

I am also participating in #TomeTopple and reading The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling but didn't read any of that on Day One (of #ayearathon) but I figure I'll participate more in that during its second week.

message 16: by Meneniareads (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 93 comments Day 1:
Reading: Simon vs. the Homo sapiens agenda.
Read: 50 pages
Total: 50 pages

message 17: by Harry (new)

Harry Smith How's everyone been finding their reads? Mine ended up a lot less LGBT+ than I'd expected for it to count for this readathon.

message 18: by Harry (new)

Harry Smith Kirsten wrote: "Hmm Day 1 consisted of me pulling out my possible books for this read-a-thon, taking a picture of them, then picking up Every Day (Every Day, #1) by David Levithan and reading 10 pages before falling asleep. oo..."

I'm super impressed by folk doing TomeTopple as well, not least because of the intimidating name. Good luck balancing the two!

message 19: by NomNom (last edited Jun 07, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

NomNom (mindofshadows) | 17 comments Harry wrote: "MindOfShadows wrote: "I started earlier with the #AYEARATHON because I'm pretty busy this week.

[bookcover:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe|1200..."

Well, I didn't really know anything about it other than that it was an LGBT+ novel and that many adored it. So first I thought it would be this random story of a young gay Aristotle (the Greek philosopher) and Dante (the writer who wrote La Divina Comedia) who went on a road trip together and in the process got to know one another and themselves better. So I was slightly disappointed at first because it was so different from what I expected and the story started off rather slow. But after a couple more pages (I think I was 20-30 pages in) I got used to the actual story and really began to love it and get into it. I would say 4.8/5 because there was a slow start but apart from that the story was amazing. Some events really made me cry, which only happened to me before while reading the Order of the Phoenix (I think you can guess what the moment was) You should definitely read it. It's just too amazing to miss out on. :3

And it isn't that impressive, really. I had read for three full days. Aristotle and Dante took me a day, and the start of the other two also took me a whole day so in the last day I just read 22 pages. I know, shame XD

message 20: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy Seitz (cookinggurl43) | 239 comments I finished Caspar Lee by Caspar Lee and Emily Riordan Lee yesterday and I'm up to 24% through Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz today:)

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readingfox91) | 42 comments Finished Carry On by Rainbow Rowell and now I'm onto Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat which I am now 100 pages into.

message 22: by Kirsten (last edited Jun 09, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 164 comments Ok Day two went a bit better than day 1...
To remind you all, pages read in Day 1: 10 (yup just ten oops - just started Every Day)
Day 2: finished Official Book Club Selection A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin by Kathy Griffin via audiobook, listening to the last 76 pages (I'm counting this as Allies under LGBTQQIAAP+)
continued reading Every Day (Every Day, #1) by David Levithan reading 66 more pages.

Total pages read: 152 pages
Total books read: 1

message 23: by Meneniareads (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 93 comments Day 2:
Read: 100 pages
Total: 150 pages

Why do I sometimes see people reading books which is not in the rad-a-thon challenge? I can see why they're reading different stuff too, but why add it here?

message 24: by Harry (new)

Harry Smith Nenia wrote: "Day 2:
Read: 100 pages
Total: 150 pages

Why do I sometimes see people reading books which is not in the rad-a-thon challenge? I can see why they're read..."

Tbf it is pretty impressive balancing multiple read-a-thons xD

Day 2 was less impressive for me since I had work, so I only managed 100 pages of grasshopper jungle, but Day 3 is going better thus far. I'm getting a lot of book envy from other people's reads now though and really want to get a hold of a copy of Simon vs the Homo Sapien Agenda and the Ari and Dante book :3

message 25: by Harry (last edited Jun 08, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Harry Smith Oh and I managed to find a copy of Every Day at the library so I can finally join in the group read!!!! How's everyone finding it thus far?

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 164 comments Harry wrote: "Oh and I managed to find a copy of Every Day at the library so I can finally join in the group read!!!! How's everyone finding it thus far?"

Yay! I am liking it so far. It is different from other books I've read which is appealing to me.

message 27: by NomNom (new)

NomNom (mindofshadows) | 17 comments Day 2 (Day 4 for me) wasn't productive at all, since I didn't read. But I went to see a movie, so that's something :)

message 28: by Hana'a (new)

Hana'a (osnapitzhanaa) | 166 comments Day 1: read 52 pages of the group read Every Day
Day 2: Listened to The Strange Case of Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde which doesn't fall under the theme but I was at work and couldn't listen to music so at least one book this week?

message 29: by Sicily (new)

Sicily  (sicilyjoy) | 35 comments Day one: I read Steven Universe Vol. 1 by Jeremy Sorese
Day Two: I started Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1) by Octavia E. Butler . I read the first two chapters. And I started Every Day (Every Day, #1) by David Levithan