The Book Basilisks discussion

July 2016 Book Discussions > July Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) As usual, here is where you can nominate a book you want to read in July! Another reminder for those of you who nominated a book and voted for it, to also join in to read it together with the others and jump in on the discussions as well.

Please try and find books that are in genres that we've never read before! Here are the previous books we've read: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

This topic will be closed on June 12.

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 130 comments Mod
I nominate "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah.

message 3: by chai (new)

chai (stclairy) | 13 comments i totally haven't been active recently but am trying to now so im nominating My Life in CIA: A Chronicle of 1973!! i've heard very good things about it and honestly love everything to do with spies so

message 4: by Bhavya (new)

Bhavya  (saibiscus) I nominate The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments I second The Nightingale.

message 6: by Bhavya (new)

Bhavya  (saibiscus) I change my nomination to A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

message 7: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Ooooh I really want to read A Little LIfe, Bhavya!
I nominate Candide by Voltaire. I don't think we've read that many classics here in this book club!

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments Oh yes Ayunda, I really think we should delve more into classics! Also I took a couple of chapter of Candide in my literature class this year, it'd be fun to finish it.
I nominate Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

message 9: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments What a various nomination. I want to read A Little Life too and already owns in but, God, it's so thick, I'm so scared. And I had read Little Women. So I have my own option. I nominate The Heart is the Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. It's kinda classic and maybe similar to A Little Life. Just maybe. ^^

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments Oh, I've been wanting to read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, too!

message 11: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 130 comments Mod
Yes! So many fantastic nominations. Ive read Little Women, and loved it. Id be happy with any one of the books posted..

message 12: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments Seems like July nominations is the toughest to choose. All is great.

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia | 53 comments I nominate The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

message 14: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I read and loved Little Women aaaages ago, it'll be fun to revisit it!!

And yes, I only recently bought Candide, and I've never read anything by Voltaire before! Plus my edition of the book is so cute with little illustrations, sort of like a comic on the cover and some of the pages :3

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments 60 percent (...possibly 70) the reason I wanna read it is because the cover of the version I have is cute too :,)

message 16: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Alright guys, this topic will be closed! To vote for what you want to read in July, go and vote in the poll I will put up on the home page :)

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments No poll yet? :(

message 18: by Bhavya (new)

Bhavya  (saibiscus) The poll when up like a day or two ago. And Ayu invited everyone to answer it. If you didn't get that email, you can go the poll section of the group & find July's BOTM poll.

message 19: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Here's the poll link Danielle! Goodreads can be an ass sometimes and some people have complained that they haven't received an invitation to vote.
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...