Nashville Bound Book Club discussion

My Brilliant Friend (L'amica geniale #1)
This topic is about My Brilliant Friend
June 2016 > Discuss My Brilliant Friend

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kayla Turner (plainkayla) | 30 comments Mod
Drop your thoughts here about our Main pick for June!

Please be aware that this post may contain spoilers.

message 2: by Kayla (last edited Jun 20, 2016 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kayla Turner (plainkayla) | 30 comments Mod
{Elena refers to her friend Lila(Lee-la); everyone else calls her Lina(Lee-nah).
Elena is often called Lenu (Ley-new).}

I am going to write out some of my thoughts before I get too deep into the second and things start getting muddled together!

Right from the very beginning, I found Elena's (Greko's) relationship with Lina's(the shoemaker's daughter) to be odd.
She begins hanging around her, unspeaking, and allows Lina's to be mean to her. As a matter of fact, she's downright cruel to everyone.

I loved the lore surrounding Don Aquile (A-Kee-lay) and how he seemed to be the "boogeyman". This was very reminiscent of a small town culture.

I was intrigued by the cultural and social expectations that a husband and father figure was permitted, and expected to beat his wife and children. Several times in the book Elena makes the comment that her father will "truly kill her" and also states that he is such a good father that he was coveted by the other children because he didn't beat them harshly or drink excessively.

Lina reminded me a bit of Matilda when they went to school- she came from a terrible home situation and yet displayed exceptional aptitude for learned subjects. It made me smile that her "whole family" won a prize for being the most studious, because she'd gotten library cards and checked all these books out under her family member's names.

It frustrated me that Elena only wanted to do well to spite or impress Lina, and I could have screamed at how often and easily she disparaged her own accomplishments because they didn't parallel her friend's.

Marcello's role was an unneeded one for the majority of the book, until closer to the end, and then it tied together. I felt like throughout their childhood when he was mentioned it was seemingly irrelevant.

I loved Nino, the idea of him.

The description of her in Ischia for the summer made me happy and I felt for the first time truly invested and connected to her character.
The balance of pleasure, with disgust and guilt was raw and real- one of the only relatable glimpses that she was a real person who experienced life rather than just saw it happen.

I have many, many more thoughts as this was a long winded book, but I will stop here. I am interested in what others have to say!