You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team 2 Legit 2 Quit

Comments Showing 1-50 of 251 (251 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jun 17, 2016 07:33PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Yay for Team Two!

Amanda
Beth
Carol
Janice
jaxnsmom
Lanelle
Lara
Marcus
Peggy
Tejas Janet
Travis
Valerie

Here's a link to our reporting thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments reserved

message 3: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments Just checking in. Can't wait for the Toppler to begin!

message 4: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 612 comments Just checking in. Looks like this one will have lots of options.

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments The only thing I've thought of so far is 2 kool 2 B 4 gotten (Lucinda Williams song).

message 6: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments There is an excessive heating warning here in Phoenix yesterday, today and tomorrow. It was 116 degrees yesterday. 112 degrees today and tomorrow.

I'm thinking 2 Hot 2 Read as a team name :)

message 7: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 612 comments Well if we are going by song names, you can't forget 2 Legit 2 Quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyYo...

message 8: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Hi everyone! I was just checking to see if anything new had been posted and found that we have teams. I'll spend a bit of time tomorrow gophering for the existing categories. I'm sure I have a lot of options.

And having just watched that video, I have to vote for MC Hammer and 2 Legit 2 Quit. It made me smile to remember those days and it's a very high energy song.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments *raises hand* supporting 2 Legit 2 Quit. my teammates are brilliantly creative.

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15083 comments Hi team 2! Love all the name suggestions!

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15083 comments Is our job to cover as many of the tasks as possible, or to read as many books as we can (no matter if some tasks are done multiple times and some are not done at all)?

I need to adjust my gophering style to the aim of the toppler ;-)

message 12: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Read whatever task you want, as many times as you want.

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15083 comments Cool! I've been saving The BFG for a toppler since January because it's so short and perfect toppler-material. I think it fits some of the tasks.

I have some other shorter books too that I can read. Should be able to do 2 books for sure, maybe even 3.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Hi teamies! I just got home and I'm way behind on everything. I like the name 2 Legit 2 Quit.

Once I've caught up, I'll do some gophering.

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments Is anyone volunteering to be our team captain and the scorekeeper? We could probably use some cheer leaders as well.

Have we decided on a name? I've thought of a few more if we haven't.
2 Not Forget
2 Remember
Read 2 Remember

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15083 comments I wouldn't mind keeping track but I won't be able to get online much, if at all, on the 25th (hen / bachelorette party, yuck) and 26th (helping the couple who had their bachelor parties the day before move to their new home, great planning!), so it might be better if someone else can do it so that everything can be updated straight away :)

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15083 comments I also like 2 legit 2 quit!

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments I can do the tracking. It seems like it will be relatively easy unless j'mom throws a curve ball at us. She did say that Queen Meanie hasn't made an appearance yet.

*waves at j'mom* hi Teamie. :)

message 19: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 630 comments Happy to be on the team...like the MC hammer name

message 20: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 630 comments Saw the option to read a book w main character over 60....wish I had been more patient and had saved "End of Watch" for the toppled but I couldn't help myself and started today

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Marcus wrote: "Saw the option to read a book w main character over 60....wish I had been more patient and had saved "End of Watch" for the toppled but I couldn't help myself and started today"

Some of us are going to read it as a buddy read the end of July. I'm looking forward to what you think of it, Marcus. You'll have to add your comments to our buddy read.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Well hello correct team. A mark on my screen made it look like a 1 instead of a 2 but after team 1 said I should be here I looked and clearly see it a 2. Glad my confusion is over. Anyway some rainy weather has me able to check goodreads momentarily so stopping in to say I don't have any idea how many books I'll read. Haven't read much lately. Haven't looked the tasks over yet either. Don't worry if I vanish for several days at a time I'll be back

message 23: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments As I told the other team I'll be busy part of that week as my son graduates kindergarten. Other than that I don't know what my schedule looks like

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Glad to see you back and that you've found your way to the correct team.

message 25: by Almeta (last edited Jun 08, 2016 08:33AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Peggy wrote: "Cool! I've been saving [b[book:The BFG|6319]ook:The BFG|6319] for a toppler since January because it's so short and perfect toppler-material. I think it fits some of the tasks.

I have some other shorter books too th..."

Peggy, I placed The BFG under "character larger than life". Of course it will easily fit the "movie" category.

message 26: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15083 comments I was considering that too Almeta! Wasn't sure if I should take it literally though ;-)

message 27: by Almeta (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:43AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Peggy wrote: "I was considering that too Almeta! Wasn't sure if I should take it literally though ;-)"

I know! I don't think that was what jmom originally had in mind.☻

message 28: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I took a look at some of the books I was hoping to read this month and many, of not most, fit into at least one category. As for how many I'll read, I'm hoping for 6, but am not positive.

message 29: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 630 comments I'm hoping for 2-3 books...probably sticking to the first task: soldier as that's about all i seem to be reading this year.

Glad to hear Copenhagen still does Kindergarden graduations Travis...I have my diploma on the wall in my office and people always get a kick out of it :-)

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Like Lara, I have a lot of books that will fit the criteria. I only went through my audiobooks and I already have over 10 titles. I hope to go through my print books tonight. Then I'm going to have to whittle them down to about 4 "must reads". I doubt I'll read much more than that.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Marcus wrote: "Glad to hear Copenhagen still does Kindergarden graduations Travis...I have my diploma on the wall in my office and people always get a kick out of it :-) ..."

My niece emailed pictures of her daughter who graduated from kindergarten recently. She had a full cap & gown, in pint size. LOL!

message 32: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Still same diploma as we got Marcus. Same pillow case gown and cardboard cap or whatever it was. Poster board maybe.

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Just realized I hadn't said hi on this thread yet so hi everyone! This is my first time doing this TBR toppler thing, I actually just joined the group :-) Hoping to get through 2-3 of the many books I own that I have not read but we'll see!

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Valerie wrote: "Just realized I hadn't said hi on this thread yet so hi everyone! This is my first time doing this TBR toppler thing, I actually just joined the group :-) Hoping to get through 2-3 of the many book..."

Hi! Welcome to YTLO and to your first toppler. I hope you enjoy it. Be sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything.

message 35: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 630 comments That's awesome

message 36: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Valerie wrote: "Just realized I hadn't said hi on this thread yet so hi everyone! This is my first time doing this TBR toppler thing, I actually just joined the group :-) Hoping to get through 2-3 of the many book..."

Enjoy the Toppler! It's fun, and any number of books is great.

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1875 comments Hi! Haven't gone to see what the tasks are, but wanted to check in.

message 38: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Almeta wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I was considering that too Almeta! Wasn't sure if I should take it literally though ;-)"

I know! I don't think that was what jmom originally had in mind.☻"

Although I would think that someone that large in life would have to turn out to be a larger than life character even if they didn't want to. :)

message 39: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Welcome to the group Valerie, along with your first Toppler! This is a great way to get to know some members and have fun and drive yourself crazy all at the same time.

Travis, glad you found your way over here. I believe Team 1 would have tried to cheat and keep you.

message 40: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Travis, glad you found your way over here. I believe Team 1 would have tried to cheat and keep you. ..."

HEY!! Well...oh yeah?

Who pretended to read a 1 as a 2, in order to join the winning team? huh? huh? huh? ☻

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Almeta wrote: "Who pretended to read a 1 as a 2, in order to join the winning team? huh? huh? huh? ☻..."

Hush you! No pretense there. That cell phone of his has created a new language that we've all witnessed, and grown to understand. Hehehe!

message 42: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Just keep telling yourself that, Almeta. Janice is right - I'm not sure we'd know what to do with a post from Travis that his phone hadn't taken over :)

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Did we decide on a name? I'm itching to update the title. :)

message 44: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments I think 2 Legit 2 Quit got the most votes.

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Here are the titles I'm leaning heavily towards:

Umberto Eco: Set in Middle Ages (5-15 century)
► - Eaters of the Dead, 5:18 hrs (audiobook)

David Bowie: China Girl - set in China
► - Lost in Translation, 384 pgs (ebook)

Mohammad Ali: Character dealing with war
► - Anna and the Swallow Man, 6:30 hrs (audiobook)

Glenn Frey: Hotel California - Horror
► - The Bird Eater, 9:23 hrs (audiobook)

Prince: I Wanna Be Your Lover - Romance/Erotica
► - Love the Way You Lie, 246 pgs (ebook)

Of course, I have a much longer list of possibilities and these preferences may change as the toppler progresses.

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2016 07:12AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15083 comments I'll start with The BFG, which fits several categories, but I will use if for Pat Conroy - a book made into a movie.

I might read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for Alan Rickman - Fantasy book, but I'm afraid my issue of the book won't count.

I could also read a cozy mystery for Pat Harrington and Ken Howard. They are quick reads.

And another one I'm considering is Perla for Paul Daniels (a book with magical realism listed as a genre).

I also have some books set in the middle east, and if I'm in the mood, I might go for that.

But like Janice, I might read something else entirely. The only one that's really set is The BFG.

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Lanelle wrote: "I think 2 Legit 2 Quit got the most votes."

I changed our title. If needs be, it can be changed again if we decide to use something else.

message 48: by Almeta (last edited Jun 10, 2016 07:53AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Janice wrote: "Umberto Eco: Set in Middle Ages (5-15 century)
► - Eaters of the Dead, 5:18 hrs (audiobook)."

I have this on on my TBR, however I never get around to it because I think it will be totally different than the movie.....

AND without Antonio Banderas?......I just don't know! ;0)
 photo banderas_zpsqxdv9wvg.jpg

message 49: by Lanelle (last edited Jun 10, 2016 08:11AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments I have an interesting situation for the Toppler.

On Wednesday the 22nd, I will be flying from Arizona to Virginia. When should I stop reading on Sunday? Noon Arizona time or noon Virginia time?

By flying from Mountain Standard Time to Eastern Daylight Time I gain 3 hours.

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48713 comments Almeta wrote: "Janice wrote: "Umberto Eco: Set in Middle Ages (5-15 century)
► - Eaters of the Dead, 5:18 hrs (audiobook)."

I have this on on my TBR, however I never get around to it because I think it will be t..."

Be still my beating heart! Thank you for the drool worthy picture, Almeta. I will likely picture him as I read.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6