You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team 1 'Forget-Me-Nots'

Comments Showing 1-50 of 297 (297 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Annerlee (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:48PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Team 'Forget Me Nots'
aka team 1

Anna
Alexandra
Almeta
Annerlee
Cathie
Cherie
Debra
Lisa UK
Louise
Poongothai
Sam F
Teanka

Link to the June Toppler Countdown LIFTOFF!

Link to the June Toppler Timer Go Team!!

message 2: by Almeta (last edited Jun 25, 2016 10:49PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments  photo MinionBananasBanner_zpsbzwe4opc.jpg

Forget Me Nots' Blossoms of Tribute (Reporting Thread)

How To Win A Toppler

At the end of the day we paid 72 tributes For Those We Have Lost.

photo minionEndOfDay_zps7fdrfj0p.jpg

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Jun 05, 2016 02:40PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Hi Team 1! *waves*. Almeta, I think this is the third or fourth toppler on the trot I have been in your team :D

I like all those names but if I had to choose, 'One Remembers' is what I would go for.

message 4: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments How about ❀ Forget-me-Nots ❀

'One remembers' is also good

message 5: by Almeta (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:29AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Annerlee wrote: "How about ❀ Forget-me-Nots ❀

That's cute.

Got a name?

Lost On One
Lost In One's Thoughts
In One's Thoughts
Lost and Found
Lost For Words

One Remembers
In One's Mind's Eye
Trip Down One's Memory Lane
Pull a Fast One
One Precious Life

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Annerlee wrote: "How about ❀ Forget-me-Nots ❀"

I like it!

message 7: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Hi team. Just checking the posts to see where I landed. For-get-be-nots works for me.

message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments In One's Thoughts sounds good to me! Hi team!

message 9: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Hi Cherie... And all the team too of course!

Please excuse the stupid questions, but I've never 'toppled' before!

What happens now? I (obviously?) go away and see what I can potentially topple off my TBR list, then report back with how many I think I can manage...? Is that right?

And how do we keep track of team progress? I was thinking of creating a weirdly named bookshelf to put all my possibles into. Then if everyone had the same weirdly named bookshelf, I could just look up everyone else's (similar named) one.. and check. Or is that too weird ? Maybe we just chat and post - or Almeta parks them under the scary spider?

Sorry, I'm blabbing. Just excited!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Annerlee wrote: "Hi Cherie... And all the team too of course!

What happens now? I (obviously?) go away and see what I can potentially topple o..."

Annerlee, we will most likely create a spreadsheet to keep track of team progress. Once the toppler starts, there will also be a reporting thread for each team and you just post on there when you have finished a book. Whoever is in charge of the spreadsheet can then update it accordingly.

message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Annerlee wrote: "Hi Cherie... And all the team too of course!

What happens now? I (obviously?) go away and see what I can potentially topple o..."

We will definitely be chatting and posting, Annerlee. No worries about creating a shelf, unless that is how you want to do it. The books you choose are totally up to you. It is what you have available and want to read in the week. If they are not too long, you will be able to read more than one long one. The teams get points for the number of books read and the teams compete with each other. Jmom may have bonus points that have not been posted yet. If you can read books that count for your challenges, you can do that too. I have not started doing any hard core gophering yet, but I have a few books, that I already own in mind, based on the catagories I have seen.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Annerlee wrote: "And here's a link to the June Toppler Countdown."

This is cool! :)

message 13: by Annerlee (last edited Jun 06, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Thanks for the clarification.

message 14: by Almeta (last edited Jun 06, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Annerlee wrote: "What happens now? I (obviously?) go away and see what I can potentially topple off my TBR list, then report back with how many I think I can manage...? Is that right? ..."

Hopefully more members will check in, and we can pick a name soon.

After that another thread will be set up to "Report our accomplishments".

We generally ask someone to keep track of it all, likely on a spreadsheet.

We also ask for people to volunteer to be "Cheerleaders", to keep the team active and chatty... posting words of encouragement, or posting photos, etc.

ANY VOLUNTEERS?

message 15: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Annerlee wrote: ...And here's a link to the June Toppler Countdown..."

Very "timely"!☺

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Love the countdown! Go team!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am happy to be a cheerleader :)

message 18: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Lisa wrote: "I am happy to be a cheerleader :)"

I'm happy for you to be a cheerleader too! Go Lisa !! ; )

message 19: by Almeta (last edited Jun 06, 2016 03:46PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Lisa wrote: "I am happy to be a cheerleader :)"

Atta girl! lol!

I'll join you with my pictures. Can't think of a theme. %0(

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Annerlee wrote: "Hi Cherie... And all the team too of course!

It looks like your team is taking good care of you. There aren't any stupid questions in a Toppler - first timers always have an adjustment period, especially for a week long one. We love to see excitement!

message 21: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Hi! I'm a 3-member this time.
I'm going to mis You, Almeta and Lisa (I think is my first Toppler without you), but I'm also happy, because my team has awesome people!!
Good luck and more fun!

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Mariab wrote: "Hi! I'm a 3-member this time.
I'm going to mis You, Almeta and Lisa (I think is my first Toppler without you), but I'm also happy, because my team has awesome people!!
Good luck and more fun!"

Aww, we will miss you too, Mariab. Good luck and enjoy being a member of Team 3. Just don't score more points than us! ;)

message 23: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments hello! Excited about the new Toppler but I wish I would have tonnes of time. It will be exam marking & report card writing for me. I will definitely read one book - think I have one picked out, but I would love to read more. I'll do my best. I like either name suggested.

message 24: by Almeta (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:09AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments So far these three names have had some interest.
Need everybody's input, so we can claim a name.

Forget-me-Nots

One remembers

In One's Thoughts

Any Spreadsheet designers out there? Willing to record the team's efforts? OR is a spreadsheet really needed? We are not trying for various categories as a team this time. We are simply counting the number of books read. This probably could be easily added up in the reporting thread. What do you all think?

message 25: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Oh, I created a Reporting Thread just so I could add my picture to the first comment.

Name change to follow!

message 26: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Checking in :-)

message 27: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments I like Forget-Me-Nots

message 28: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Almeta wrote: "Oh, I created a Reporting Thread just so I could add my picture to the first comment.

Name change to follow!"

You're going to call yourself 'bananas' in future?

message 29: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Almeta wrote: "Any Spreadsheet designers out there? Willing to record the team's efforts? OR is a spreadsheet really needed? We are not trying for various categories as a team this time. We are simply counting the number of books read. This probable could be easily added up in the reporting thread. What do you all think"

It would be easy enough to dedicate a post for recording overall progress. The author could then edit it as books were finished

I think a spreadsheet is not strictly necessary for the challenge, but it would be interesting to have one in addition. That way, you could see what topics we prefer, who is reading what etc...

So a bit of both?

What do you think?

message 30: by Lisa (last edited Jun 07, 2016 01:43AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Almeta wrote: "Any Spreadsheet designers out there? Willing to..."

Hmmm, I don't think a spreadsheet is necessary but if someone is willing and happy to make one... I am hopeless with spreadsheets so that's me out ;) I will stick to cheerleading.

As for names, my vote goes to Forget-me-Nots.

message 31: by Almeta (last edited Jun 07, 2016 03:31AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Annerlee wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Oh, I created a Reporting Thread just so I could add my picture to the first comment.

Name change to follow!"

You're going to call yourself 'bananas' in future?"

Cheer leading theme. Gotta keep you guessing for a while!☺

message 32: by Almeta (last edited Jun 07, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Let's go with Forget Me Nots

message 33: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Almeta wrote: "Let's go with
Forget Me Nots
"

Thanks for taking the initiative Almeta. That's fine with me (obviously)

Cheer leading theme? I'm anxious to find out more.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Annerlee wrote: "Cheer leading theme? I'm anxious to find out more."

Almeta always comes up with a really good theme for her cheerleading :) I don't choose one for my cheerleading, I just post completely random stuff. Unless that is my theme? Random stuff ;)

message 35: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Lisa wrote: "Annerlee wrote: "Cheer leading theme? I'm anxious to find out more."

Almeta always comes up with a really good theme for her cheerleading :) I don't choose one for my cheerleading, I just post completely random stuff. Unless that is my theme? Random stuff ;) ..."

lol! RANDOM STUFF offers a lot more variety.

message 36: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 483 comments Hi team.
I like Forget Me Nots and In One's Thoughts.

As a majority I think we can go with Forget Me Nots

message 37: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Poongothai wrote: "Hi team.
I like Forget Me Nots and In One's Thoughts.

As a majority I think we can go with Forget Me Nots"

Glad you popped in.

Yeah, I think Forget Me Nots has the majority.

message 38: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Hi team! I'm sorry for this late-check-in. I need to chew those threads more often....
I'm not sure how many books I'll be able to read but at least one or two should be manageable.

message 39: by Almeta (last edited Jun 17, 2016 02:43PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments You'd be surprised how many people find "one more book", once the Toppler is underway. Never-the-less even one book helps the team.

I happen to have a lot of time planned for this Toppler. AND I have chosen several books with just a little over 150 pages. Many of those that I have chosen will also count toward the Geocaching challenge. BONUS!☺

Here's my "short" list:

takes place in the Middle East
*The Blood of Flowers, Anita Amirrezvani

magical realism as a genre
*The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, Leslye Walton

Magic
*A Malady Of Magicks, Craig Shaw Gardner

Read a true crime thriller.
*Girl Waits with Gun

Space Oddity – Read a scifi book
*Galápagos, Kurt Vonnegut

Read a fantasy book
*Raptor Red, Robert T. Bakker

Read a book about a larger than life character
The BFG, Roald Dahl or
*Mademoiselle Chanel

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee – read a book of poetry
*Sharp Teeth, Toby Barlow

Read a book about sports or with a sports setting
The Seventh Richard Stark a.k.a. Donald E. Westlake

humor on its GR homepage
Cops and Robbers, Donald E. Westlake

was made into a movie
The Third Man, Graham Greene
I Am Legend, Richard Matheson
Pop. 1280, Jim Thompson
Coraline, Neil Gaiman

I am planning on 9 books.

message 40: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Almeta wrote: "Annerlee wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Oh, I created a Reporting Thread just so I could add my picture to the first comment.

Name change to follow!"

Knowing Almeta from other topplers it might have something to do with banana daiquiri, lol

message 41: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments What are your asterics for, Almeta?

I parsed my book list for the books I own and was surprised at how many I have that are over the 150 page mark and less than 250 pages. About 29 books. I do not know how to sort them yet or what to start with. Still a work in progress. I'm not sure how many I can read yet either.

message 42: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Hello team. Been awol lately. Haven't looked at tasks yet and have no idea how many books I will read. My son graduates kindergarten that week.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Good to have you back, Travis. Welcome to the team!

message 44: by Lisa (last edited Jun 19, 2016 05:58AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Here are a few books that I am interested in reading. I don't think I will get to all of them but I should be able to read 2-3.

Memorial Day - The Yellow Birds

Paul Daniels (read a magical realism book) - Of Love and Other Demons

Umberto Eco (read a book set in the Middle Ages) - Plague Land or The Queen's Man

David Bowie - Rebel Rebel (read a GLBT book) - A Single Man

Alan Rickman (read a fantasy book) - The Slow Regard of Silent Things

message 45: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Hello team. Been awol lately. Haven't looked at tasks yet and have no idea how many books I will read. My son graduates kindergarten that week."

Glad to see you Travis!

message 46: by Almeta (last edited Jun 08, 2016 05:36AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Hello team. Been awol lately. Haven't looked at tasks yet and have no idea how many books I will read. My son graduates kindergarten that week."

TRAVIS! Although we'd love to have you, I think that you are on Team 2.

You want to defect?☻

message 47: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Oh i am. I thought I saw team 1. Oops

message 48: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Lisa wrote: "Almeta always comes up with a really good theme for her cheerleading :) I don't choose one for my cheerleading, I just post completely random stuff. Unless that is my theme? Random stuff ;) "

I'm intrigued... and really into random stuff ; )

message 49: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Looks like theres a smudge on my screen that turns 2 into 1. Yup when I scroll past it it becomes a 2 again.

message 50: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Almeta wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "Hello team. Been awol lately. Haven't looked at tasks yet and have no idea how many books I will read. My son graduates kindergarten that week."

TRAVIS! ... You want to defect?☻ "

Travis! It would be great to have you on board... and this IS the best team after all... : D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6