You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

48 views
Closed Discussion Topic > Team Tri-butes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 164 (164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:24AM) (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Hi everyone!! Welcome to Team 3. :) Can't wait to see what we come up with for a name.

Team 3
Connie
Emily
Kristie
Liz
LoriZ
Lynn
Rebecca
Rusalka
Mariab
Sharon
Dawn
Sam

Tri-butes' Tributes (reporting thread)


message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2578 comments Hello and checking in!


message 3: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1806 comments Hello fellow teammates!
Thanks Kristie, for setting up our thread!


message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Hi all!


message 5: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Hey hey teamies!


message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Hey everyone! What do we want our team name to be? Does anyone have any ideas?


message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Lori Z wrote: "Hello fellow teammates!
Thanks Kristie, for setting up our thread!"


You're welcome! I was excited to see the teams and had to do something. lol


message 8: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1806 comments Kristie wrote: "Hey everyone! What do we want our team name to be? Does anyone have any ideas?"

The only thing I could think of was Tribute or Remembrance or Memory Keepers. I couldn't come up with anything that would incorporate the number 3.


message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Oh, I like memory keepers. Maybe we could add the 3 somewhere, like tri-something memory keepers? I'm not sure what though. The only thing that comes to mind is tri-country. I think we are from 3 different countries. At least I know Lynn is in UK, Rusalka is Australia, I'm in US and a few teammates as well. Not sure if we're all within just 3 though. Not even sure that really makes sense as a name, just throwing it out there to get some creative thoughts flowing. :)


message 10: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1806 comments I'm in the U.S. too. Maybe if there's too many countries we could go with Tri-Continental if we're on 3 continents?


message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Good idea! :) Anyone else?? Ideas? Thoughts?


message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments Hi all! Just checking in....
I'm in the US , also. The Tri- name sounds good to me.


message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2578 comments Really like that idea. I checked everyone's profiles:

Connie - US
Emily - US
Kristie - US
Liz - US
LoriZ - US
Lynn - UK
Rebecca - Doesn't say on profile
Rusalka - Australia
Mariab - Doesn't say on profile

So we need Rebecca and Mariab to check in and let us know if we can use this idea


message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) I'm in the US too. I hope to do a lot more reading for this toppler than I did last time.


message 15: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Hello! Team-mates!


message 16: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Lynn wrote: "Really like that idea. I checked everyone's profiles:

Connie - US
Emily - US
Kristie - US
Liz - US
LoriZ - US
Lynn - UK
Rebecca - Doesn't say on profile
Rusalka - Australia
Mariab - Doesn't say o..."


I'm in favor


message 17: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Lori Z wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Hey everyone! What do we want our team name to be? Does anyone have any ideas?"

The only thing I could think of was Tribute or Remembrance or Memory Keepers. I couldn't come up wit..."

Ok... TRI-bute has the number 3 on it: it could be 3bute


message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2578 comments What country are you located in Mariab?


message 19: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I'm in Paraguay Southamerica


message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1641 comments And I've just been assigned here too, which throws off your plans some more as I'm in Canada.


message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments I like TRI-bute too.


message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Welcome, Dawn! No worries. We have plenty of other name options. We just need everyone to throw some out. ;)


message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments I like the play on Tri-bute. Only other three words I can think of are triple or threefold. Triple Tri-bute? I am clutching at straws honestly ;)

I'm going to check on the final list of tasks and get my thinking cap on!


message 24: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Checking in with my FABULOUS teammates! I like the play on Tri-bute, too. Great ideas! I need to start gophering.


message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:33AM) (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments I have finished gophering (I think). I have two books that I definitely plan to read and two maybes, if I have the time.

I will read:
Read a book with a magician - A Darker Shade of Magic
Read a book with a main character over 60. Britt-Marie Was Here (She is 63)

Extra time:
Read a book that was written from a movie. Life Moves Pretty Fast: The Lessons We Learned From Eighties Movies (got approval for this one)
Read a romance or erotica. Wallbanger

I even have two more backups in case I become a speed reader between now and then. ;)


message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2578 comments Kristie wrote: "I even have two more backups in case I become a speed reader between now and then. ;) ."

ha ha ha ha, suuuuuuure :)

Also, you're reading A Darker Shade of Magic so you can torment me on two different groups aren't you? :p


message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Lol! And yup. ;)


message 28: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1806 comments So I had another idea for a team name.
R.I.P. Rest In Peace or Reading In Progress. Of course, no number 3 again, but we don't have to have it in our team name. Just another option to add to the list.


message 29: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Kristie wrote: "I will read:
Read a book with a magician - A Darker Shade of Magic..."


I liked the book very much


message 30: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments For gophering gopheries:

Something Strange and Deadly has a chinese girl in it (one of the main characters) and is about Action and Adventure


message 31: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments OK, after a little gophering, I came out with these:
Where Angels Fear to Tread for classic
Three Men in a Boat for book with a mode of transportation on the cover (although I must wait to see what J-mom says about covers from Gutenberg.org)
romance or erotica
One is a sure task, two is a possibility
All three is wishful thinking...


message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Usually Mariab, but we should let Jmom clarify for the Toppler, we take the first/most popular cover on goodreads as the e-book cover.


message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments I've done my gophering, and I pretty much can do every task. I think I will prioritise the fantasy, and the sci fi for the geocaching challenge. However, I was so excited to get started this weekend, with plans all ready for my Monday off and everything... then I discovered I still have a week to go :(


message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments Hello, checking in for Team 3. I hope to get my list together soon. Does anyone know if graphic novels are allowed for topplers? I've never read one, but I'm tempted by a new one at the bookstore that could fit multiple reading challenges.


message 35: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Usually they are if they hit the page limit (150pp this Toppler). If you have one in mind, you can always ask Jmom for clarification.


message 36: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1641 comments I've got books that fit into about 15 of the tasks, I will probably prioritize the shortest books first and see where that gets me.

I've got everything I might possibly read on order from the library already, so I should have everything in time for the start date.


message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Oh, Rusalka. That stinks about your Monday off. Just gives you more planning time, I suppose.

I have all my books ready to go. Britt-Marie is from the library, so I'll have to read that one the first half of the week in order to get it back on time. There are other people waiting for it, so I won't be able to renew.

I am picking up my grandson for a visit on the 19th and my husband will be out of town on a business trip, so I won't have quite as much time to read for this toppler. I'm hoping to be able to read, or at least listen, while he plays at the park or pool. I should still be able to get in 2 books, but we'll have to see how everything works out. I'm still hoping for 3. I just don't how realistic that will be. Actually, sounds like a great week...a visiting grandson and lots of reading. :)


message 38: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments I'm super excited that so many books fit the tasks of this toppler! So nice to have options to be able to read whatever suits my fancy at the time. I should have more time than I usually do for reading, during the toppler week, so I'm hoping to complete 3-4 books.


message 39: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1806 comments Welcome Sharon!

Kristie, that's great that you're getting time with your grandson, enjoy!

Awww, Rusalka, I feel you're pain. When I'm off work during June and July, I get my dates mixed up all the time.

I've been gophering and making the library rounds and I'm pretty much all set. I'm waiting for 2 holds to come in and I'm good to go. I think I can read at least 3, but always hopeful and prepared for more. Now, the hardest part of a Toppler, waiting for it to start.


message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments Thanks, Lori. We're really excited.


message 41: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Mariab wrote: "OK, after a little gophering, I came out with these:
Where Angels Fear to Tread for classic
Three Men in a Boat for book with a mode of transportation on the cover (although..."


Project Gutenburg is a special case so I'm inclined to be more lenient if that's the only way you can get hold of the book.


message 42: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Sharon wrote: "Hello, checking in for Team 3. I hope to get my list together soon. Does anyone know if graphic novels are allowed for topplers? I've never read one, but I'm tempted by a new one at the bookstore t..."

Graphic novels require more pages. Probably somewhere between 175 and 200. I'll think about it. I really need to add that to the rules. What's the book, and how many pages is it?


message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Hello, checking in for Team 3. I hope to get my list together soon. Does anyone know if graphic novels are allowed for topplers? I've never read one, but I'm tempted by a new one at ..."

Indeh: A Story of the Apache Wars, at 240 pages. I would use it for war, or western, and hopefully also for the First Nations task in the geocache challenge.


message 44: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1806 comments Liz wrote: "I'm super excited that so many books fit the tasks of this toppler! So nice to have options to be able to read whatever suits my fancy at the time. I should have more time than I usually do for rea..."

I agree, Liz, I really like having so many options and I'm really happy that most of mine fit the Geo-Caching Challenge.


message 45: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Mariab wrote: "OK, after a little gophering, I came out with these:
Where Angels Fear to Tread for classic
Three Men in a Boat for book with a mode of transportation on the ..."


YAY! thanks, J-mom


message 46: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Sharon wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Hello, checking in for Team 3. I hope to get my list together soon. Does anyone know if graphic novels are allowed for topplers? I've never read one, but I'm tempted..."

240 pages is more than enough. It sounds interesting and I'll be curious how you like it if you read it.


message 47: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Are we allowed to repeat tasks as a group? It's been awhile since I've toppled so thought I'd check before gophering


message 48: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2578 comments Emily wrote: "Are we allowed to repeat tasks as a group? It's been awhile since I've toppled so thought I'd check before gophering"

For this one yes, you're even allowed to repeat a task individually


message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilserv) | 453 comments Thanks Lynn!


message 50: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 10, 2016 08:24AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments I realised I'm thinking about this all wrong (for me). I have a whole heap of books I haven't been able to use as they are between 150-175pp and don't usually fit in. Perfect time to read a few of these!!!

Eg Under the Frangipani and The Fall of the Stone City


« previous 1 3 4
back to top