Emily March Fans discussion

Family Secrets
This topic is about Family Secrets
Family Secrets > Family Secrets - Opening thoughts

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula, Moderator (new) - added it

Paula Radell (lady_lovesbooks) | 2103 comments Mod
As we get ready to dive into our first book involving other authors -- are any of the contributing authors new to you? If not, what have you read and what do you think? If so, what do you think of the group trying something different this time around?

message 2: by Jina (new) - added it

Jina Gibbs | 763 comments Dear Paula,
Im only speaking for myself but I bet that others in our group feel the same as I do. It really doesn't matter which books or authors we read and discuss, it's more about the reading together, discussing together, sharing laughs and ideas, whether those ideas or laughter is inspired by the book or what goes on with the members personally. Some of my favorite discussions is when a passage or part of a book relates to something that I have dealt with or has made me think. So while we wait for Emily to write more Eternity Springs books I am open to nearly all genres. There is only a couple types of books that is difficult for me to read. Those are excessive gore, or violence on children and anything where a person dominates or humiliates another character. Since my first marriage was to a man who was terribly abusive to me and controlling by emtional blackmail, (if you dont do something or agree with him, he would threaten to do something to hurt me or the kids.) So needless to say I cant read that type of book. It triggers nightmares.
I downloaded "Family Secrets" from amazon. I look forward to discussing it with everyone.
Love to all,
Jina

message 3: by Paula, Moderator (new) - added it

I feel the same way, Jina. And while I read a wide variety of genres, the books we've read in this group are among my favorites because they evoke healthy emotions and, overall, inspire hope. The characters are relatable and their situations are thought-provoking. I'm not a fan of gratuitous gore, and I can't even watch animal movies, much less read about any type of physical or emotional cruelty to children. I know that this is a "safe" place to share books, thoughts and experiences, and we should keep it that way. Thanks so much for your comment. My copy of Family Secrets is downloaded and ready to go!

Lesley | 669 comments Paula wrote: "I feel the same way, Jina. And while I read a wide variety of genres, the books we've read in this group are among my favorites because they evoke healthy emotions and, overall, inspire hope. The c..."

So is mine. Don't think I've read anything by the other Authors yet.

Lola  | 1001 comments I have read several of Christina's books, the Bella Terra's were my favorites . But I don't think I have read anything by Nicole. Hugs Lola

Linda (lindamanthey) | 413 comments Paula wrote: "As we get ready to dive into our first book involving other authors -- are any of the contributing authors new to you? If not, what have you read and what do you think? If so, what do you think of ..."
I agree with Jina's statement. The only book I have ever been able to read that has had a child's brutal demise is "The Shack" by William P. Young. I have read four times and will probably read it many more times. The child is kidnapped, but the story grows into a spiritual journey. It enthralls me every time.
I am unfamiliar with Nicole Burnham. I am familiar with Christina Dodd. It will be fun to explore new authors who are associated with Emily, and to compare writing styles.
I have just begun reading "Family Secrets".
Are we going to comment on each book, or the trio as a whole?
And do we have a timeline? I am a little behind on the news.
It has been incredibly hot here for Spring. We usually don't get Summer weather until the second week of July. We usually get a couple of weeks of high temperatures in July and August and then just comfortable 70-80 degrees the rest of the time. I have yet to spend a Summer in Marysville, where we are now though. We are further away from the water, so it may be a different experience.
I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the beginning of the Summer season.
I will check back in later, I have to work the closing shift today.
Peace be with you all.
Linda Manthey

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina Dodd Lola wrote: "I have read several of Christina's books, the Bella Terra's were my favorites . But I don't think I have read anything by Nicole. Hugs Lola"

Thanks, Lola, I'm glad you enjoyed Bella Terra. They're some of my favorites, too!

message 8: by Paula, Moderator (new) - added it

Hi, Linda! I didn't set a timeline because it's summer - so I thought we could take our time without any perception of pressure to keep up. I plan to set up a thread for each of the three books, and read/discuss them sequentially. I'll add questions to the threads as we go along. If anyone has suggestions to make the discussions more lively as we go along, add them to the "Opening Thoughts" thread.
:-)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Nicole Burnham is new to me . I am familiar with Christina Dodd and have read some of her books. Have to download the book so I can get started.

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Jina wrote: "Dear Paula,
Im only speaking for myself but I bet that others in our group feel the same as I do. It really doesn't matter which books or authors we read and discuss, it's more about the reading to..."

I agree Jina.

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Christina wrote: "Lola wrote: "I have read several of Christina's books, the Bella Terra's were my favorites . But I don't think I have read anything by Nicole. Hugs Lola"

Thanks, Lola, I'm glad you enjoyed Bella T..."

Welcome Christina! Glad that you are able to join us.
Emily thanks for inviting the other authors.

message 12: by Paula, Moderator (new) - added it

Hi, everyone -- I'm just finally getting to start reading today, with My Big Old Texas Heartache...I've added a discussion thread. Ray is working this weekend, so I have reading AND writing time - and I can't wait!

message 13: by Jina (new) - added it

Jina Gibbs | 763 comments Paula wrote: "Hi, everyone -- I'm just finally getting to start reading today, with My Big Old Texas Heartache...I've added a discussion thread. Ray is working this weekend, so I have reading AND writing time - ..."

Dear Paula,
I am getting ready to start the book too. I hope you have an enjoyable and productive weekend reading and writing. Take care to not wear yourself out. So glad to be reading and discussing a book again. The break was nice but I missed everyone and our lively conversations.
I have a question that I have wondered for a long time. How do authors choose their pen names? And why do some authors do several pen names? Wouldn't that get confusing? Also if you've already become "famous" or successful with a pen name that is well known, why would you start under a different name.... wouldn't you want your fans to be able to follow all your work? Wouldn't you feel like the book under a different "new" authors name get "lost" among all the other titles of new books that get released at the same time? I guess thats a lot of questions but its something I have wondered about for awhile now.
Hugs to all,
Jina

Lola  | 1001 comments Good question Jina! I didn't know for the longest time that Nora Roberts and JD Robb were the same person. I guess that is the best example of different witting styles ,if Nora wrote the JD Robb's stories under her name everyone would say she has lost her mind lol. Hugs Lola

message 15: by Paula, Moderator (new) - added it

Great questions, Gina! We have author experts to answer them, so for now, I'll tell you what little I know. Sometimes authors use different names for different genres...one friend of mine writes YA under one name and erotica under another, for obvious reasons :-) Another writes under a different name when she's collaborating on a project. And many do it for privacy reasons.

It was rumored that EL James and JK Rowling would write books under other pen names so if readers were disappointed, it wouldn't detract from their international bestsellers. I think Erika even said that in an interview once. I can imagine the pressure, can't you? Same with Stephanie Meyer.

The only reason I'm not using a pen name for my series is that I waited so late in life to start, I wanted this one bucket list item to have my name on it. Otherwise I'd probably have chosen a pen name -- a family name or something symbolic to me (I played with a few ideas awhile back). Of course, if my books tank, I'm going to d-i-e, so I may have to rethink how confident I am about using my own name!

I'm interested in hearing how our authors answer!

Paula

message 16: by Paula, Moderator (new) - added it

Jina...spellcheck changed your name on me I. My last message. I'm so sorry! :-/

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Burnham | 14 comments The topic of pen names is one where you'll get different perspectives depending on which author you ask!

Some authors use pen names to identify books that will have very different reader expectations. A Nora Roberts book is a different creature from a JD Robb book...there are readers who adore one, but don't enjoy reading the other. I have a half-dozen YA novels that are under the name Niki Burnham. They're aimed at the younger end of the YA spectrum, so the readership is completely separate from the Nicole Burnham romance novels. I'd loved to have had them all under the same name, but my publisher (probably correctly) noted that it would cause confusion.

And, as Paula pointed out, there are authors who use a pen name for privacy reasons. A unique last name makes you easy to find, and that's not always a good thing!

I've also heard of authors who have used a pen name because their given name is so common that they're hard to find in searches (say, Jennifer Smith...do an Internet search and you'll get thousands!) which can make their books hard to find. Or, if a last name is long or hard to spell, an author may go with a shorter version or entirely different name in order to fit on a book cover or make it easier for readers to search.

And there's always a possibility that someone is already publishing using your name. If you're a James Patterson and writing a book, you'd probably opt to publish under a different name to avoid confusion.

Linda (lindamanthey) | 413 comments Nicole wrote: "The topic of pen names is one where you'll get different perspectives depending on which author you ask!

Some authors use pen names to identify books that will have very different reader expectati..."

Thank you Nicole for helping us understand the reasoning behind this subject.
I have just begun reading Scandal with a Prince. I look forward to discussing it with our group.
Have a wonderful day, and thanks for checking in with us.

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Nicole,
Thank you for explaining the use of pen names. I had wondered about that.

message 20: by Melinda (last edited Jun 14, 2016 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Jina wrote: "Paula wrote: "Hi, everyone -- I'm just finally getting to start reading today, with My Big Old Texas Heartache...I've added a discussion thread. Ray is working this weekend, so I have reading AND w..."

Jina,
Love the question. Thank you for asking it.