Les Misérables Les Misérables discussion

thoughts on the book..

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mariana I personally find this book extraordinary... the way Victor Hugo depicts the inner depths of his main caracters souls is fashinating and the way he manages to combine the story with the pending historical events and give us a fully detailed view of the era amazes me..
Undouptely the best book I've ever read

Katie Agree! It was tedious, almost odious at times but so worth it in the end! Victor Hugo's writing is more than just 'classical literature' from times gone by. The more I read, and devoted time to it, the more I found myself highlighting passages because they were full of wisdom and thought provoking. I am highly contemplating a second reading. (after i get through my list)
I have recommended this book to many of my friends. I only hope they will give it the credit it deserves and read it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Certainly one of the best of the best, despite some chapters that one could later consider a "throwaway". My big one was Waterloo, which only seemed to be included so at the end one character can have a very brief interlude with another's father.

Les Miserables and War and Peace are in a class by themselves IMHO.

message 4: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Furey This is so encouraging! I'm the first of my friends to read it and I've just started. I've thought about putting it away for a while and reading something else, but after reading these comments I'm definitely going to stick with it!

Mariana Abbey wrote: "This is so encouraging! I'm the first of my friends to read it and I've just started. I've thought about putting it away for a while and reading something else, but after reading these comments I'm..."
you definately have to!! it's an amazing book!!
enjoy the reading :)

Mariana Stu wrote: "Certainly one of the best of the best, despite some chapters that one could later consider a "throwaway". My big one was Waterloo, which only seemed to be included so at the end one character can h..."
I agree!! I haven't read War and Peace yet but after your comment I think I should try :)

Mariana Katie wrote: "Agree! It was tedious, almost odious at times but so worth it in the end! Victor Hugo's writing is more than just 'classical literature' from times gone by. The more I read, and devoted time to it,..."
I have recomended it as well :) I definately agree with your views :))