Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > July 2016 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3976 comments Mod
Nominations are open for July 2016.

Nominations are now open for the May Group Reads and will close on 13th June 2016 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 15th to 23rd June 2016 inclusive.

You may nominate 2 books, 1 in each category (1.Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4($6.02) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion moderator.

2) No self-nominations by authors.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 552 comments Mod
I nominate Holy Island, by L. J. Ross, for July value read.

message 3: by David (new)

It is £2.55 on Kindle in UK so ok as value read.

Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1) by L.J. Ross

"Detective Chief Inspector Ryan retreats to Holy Island seeking sanctuary when he is forced to take sabbatical leave from his duties as a homicide detective. A few days before Christmas, his peace is shattered and he is thrust back into the murky world of murder when a young woman is found dead amongst the ancient ruins of the nearby Priory.

When former local girl Dr Anna Taylor arrives back on the island as a police consultant, old memories swim to the surface making her confront her difficult past. She and Ryan struggle to work together to hunt a killer who hides in plain sight, while pagan ritual and small-town politics muddy the waters of their investigation.

Murder and mystery are peppered with a sprinkling of romance and humour in this fast-paced crime whodunnit set on the spectacular Northumbrian island of Lindisfarne, cut off from the English mainland by a tidal causeway."

UK Kindle Link - Holy Island

message 4: by Bill (new)

$3.99 here @ amazon.com but free on Kindle Unlimited.

message 5: by David (new)

For the main group read I would like to nominate
A Song From Dead Lips (Breen and Tozer, #1) by William Shaw
A Song From Dead Lips by William Shaw

The blurb
"London, October 1968. As Beatles fans encamp outside Abbey Road Studios up the road, the Marylebone CID is as much an old boys' club as it ever was: comfortably sexist, racially prejudiced and crawling with corruption.

Detective Sergeant Cathal Breen is the pariah of the office, having just run out on a fellow officer held at knifepoint, when it's shaken up by the arrival of WPC Helen Tozer: awkward chatterbox, farmgirl, and the first woman to enter the murder unit - apart from the secretary.

When a young woman is found naked and strangled in well-to-do St John's Wood, her identity is a mystery. The neighbours offer nothing but xenophobic suspicions, witnesses are staying silent; only Tozer's savvy gives Breen a lead.

Following it, resourceless, deep into the rural backwaters, Breen sees one dead body lead to another - a trail of bloodshed taking them dangerously close to a killer with everything to lose.

The first in a trilogy featuring DS Breen and WPC Tozer, set against a clashing backdrop of sixties idealism and a corrupted CID on the brink of exposure."

message 6: by Bill (new)

David wrote: "For the main group read I would like to nominate
A Song From Dead Lips (Breen and Tozer, #1) by William Shaw
A Song From Dead Lips by William Shaw

The blurb
"London, October 1968. As Beatles fans encamp outside Ab..."

I like the setting & the reviews are good.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Oh, I should add that the American title of A Song from Dead Lips is She's Leaving Home. I don't know why our American publishers do this (Sophie Hannah's are prime offenders) - maybe to have something to do besides doing lunch

message 8: by David (new)

Come on folks lets have a few more nominations.

message 9: by David (new)

Last Day for nominations. Is 2 only we have?

If no more nominations then the Main Group Read & Value Book Read will be sorted without a vote as only 1 nomination for each.

message 10: by David (new)

Ok then no vote required this month as only 1 in each nominated.

The books for next month are

Main Group Read
A Song From Dead Lips by William Shaw - nominated by David

Value Book Read
Holy Island by L. J. Ross - nominated by Bill

message 11: by Bill (new)

Let's be sure to list the main read with both titles, or readers in the US will have trouble finding it. A Song from Dead Lips/She's Leaving Home (US title). As a bit of a historical artefact myself, I'm quite enjoying it.

message 12: by David (new)

I can do that when the threads go up on 1st July Bill.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 42 comments Recommended main read from my library. If it comes in, I will join in.

message 14: by David (new)

please do Kim. The more the merrier, as they say.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim | 42 comments My copy came in. Starting right away.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Looking forward to our discussion.

message 17: by Bill (new)

Just downloaded Holy Island from Amazon.com - free for Amazon unlimited members & $1.99 to add audible narration. So Ready to go here.