Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 20

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Today's prompt is your favorite romance book. I'm all about the romance, but I don't read many "romance" books. They're usually books in other genres with romance in them.

I'm choosing Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson. It's a historical romance set during the regency era, but it does have kissing, which makes my heart happy.

One of the things I hate about romances is that it takes so long for the characters to fall in love. But, with Blackmoore, Kate and Henry have been friends since childhood and we meet them in their late teens/early twenties. Their feelings have already turned into love. The story is so swoony the entire time without the love-at-first-sight problem many readers have. Not only do I love reading how they discover that they feel the same way about each other, but I also love reading the flashbacks of their childhood.

My only gripe is with the ending. I didn't much care for it. But, the rest of the book is so good that I don't care. I'm willing to overlook it and just enjoy the rest of the story.

What is your favorite romance book?

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I don't really read much romance --- I did read more when I was younger.

One of my favorite books was The Promise by Danielle Steel. This is the only Steel book that I have ever read and it is very dated now. It's the story of a couple that meets in college. The boy is rich and the girl is an orphan who is an artist. The boy's mother doesn't approve so when they are in a car accident and the girl is seriously injured as she goes flying through the wind shield, the mother offers to pay for all the plastic surgeries if the girl agrees to stay away from the son. Of course the girl accepts thinking that the son willl find her, but the mother tells the son that the girl died in the accident. I know --- very lifetime movie, but this really spoke to my teenage self :-D

If it doesn't have to be a romance book, I will say either the romance in the Her Royal Spyness series (Georginia and Darcy) or the romance between Matthew and Diana in the All Souls Trilogy.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Hm. I'm not sure that I've ever read a book tagged romance!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oo! Outlander!

message 5: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Susie wrote: "Oo! Outlander!"

Also The Night Circus is tagged romance.

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1312 comments Mine would be Pride and Prejudice. I don't read much from the romance genre.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments There is no way I could pick just one!!

message 8: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) | 84 comments I don't read romances for the most part. I can't remember one, much less a favorite. Sorry, Nicole!

message 9: by ScoLgo (new)

ScoLgo | 30 comments I don't usually read romance novels either but I did really like The Night Circus

I also keep meaning to read Hôtel Transylvania, which I think would qualify...?

message 10: by annapi (last edited Jun 06, 2016 01:13AM) (new)

annapi | 4916 comments I don't read much romance, but I'll choose a YA one - Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (I gave it 5 stars). Admittedly, it's more a coming-of-age YA story than romance, but I can't think of anything else that can be called a "favorite".

Outlander - I can't really think of it as a romance because it is so much more than that. In my mind it's historical fiction.

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments annapi wrote: "Outlander - I can't really think of it as a romance because it is so much more than that. In my mind it's historical fiction...."

There are so many books that I read that are romance AND [fill in the blank]. Romantic suspense is probably the subgenre that I read the most. While I am not above picking up a pure romance novel, I think that is probably the exception for me.

In fact, I started a pure romance book over the weekend, read about 15 pages and had to stop. It was just too over-the-top for me....and that is saying a lot!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8300 comments Romance - Who doesn't love Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele. There's also usually a good ride in Barbara Taylor Bradford. But I will add another PMS or airplane/poolside/beach author. Jude Devereaux. She is Romance with Magic, which usually I mind if it's done poorly, but I admit I like her. I even like the time travel pieces, and element. Go figure. Haven't read one of these four in a long while. I think my last Nora was the first of the wedding crew. Maybe the cake baker? In any case, there is a lot of romance in historical and contemporary fiction too....

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Amy wrote: "Romance - Who doesn't love Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele..."

me.

message 14: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Jen wrote: "Amy wrote: "Romance - Who doesn't love Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele..."

me. "

and me.

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Amy wrote: "Romance - Who doesn't love Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele. ..."

I got your back, Amy! Although, I don't think I have ever read Danielle Steele. I read one Barbara Taylor Bradford and really did not like it, but I do like Jude Devereaux!

And, you should totally finish Nora's Bride Quartet. I loved those books and would like to eventually reread them.

message 16: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Titles that come to mind for the love story are Anna Karenina and Doctor Zhivago. I must not be into happy ever after8-(

Wait! Bridget Jones's Diary!

message 17: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Guilty pleasure romance: A Walk to Remember.

Also pro-Nora's Bride Quartet series.

message 18: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments From way back: The Tokaido Road. This is one I'm afraid to re-read for fear it won't be as magical for me now.

More recently, I really love the romance between Kate and Curran in Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (a husband/wife writing team) and the rest of the Kate Daniels series. These are classified as urban fantasy and the romance isn't front and center, but it's present, and spirited, and fun.

message 19: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) | 84 comments Jen wrote: "Amy wrote: "Romance - Who doesn't love Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele..."

me. "

Me, either. You read one, you've read them all.

message 20: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1060 comments I am going to pick An Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair. It is SFR with lots of action, romance and humor.

I read a lot of romance and have a lot of favorites including Nora Roberts (selectively), but not Danielle Steele.

message 21: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Outlander

message 22: by Patty (new)

Patty | 80 comments I am going to say the Notebook.

message 23: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Patty wrote: "I am going to say the Notebook."

I don't remember what I put as my answer for the book that made me cry, but I remember commenting that there was one (but I couldn't remember which one at the time) where I sobbed my way through a good portion of the ending. I'm pretty sure it was The Notebook where that happened.

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6300 comments I don't think I read any romance . . .but I did read The Notebook, so guess I will copy Patty's answer out of desperation.

message 25: by Marnie (new)

Marnie | 94 comments Pride and Prejudice, which I never thought a Jane Austen book would be in my consideration for anything.