Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

Game of Thrones (TV series) > Season Six, Episode Seven: The Broken Man *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Setting this up a little early because I love this pic, which is now my phone wallpaper.

message 2: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Here is where I got it: https://www.facebook.com/blogofthrone...

"A Girl Does Not Wait"

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Awesome! It's 90 degrees here in the PNW today so I'm hoping my AC keeps on working and my house is cool enough to be in it tonight for showtime! So excited to see Arya tonight! :)

message 4: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments Hey I'm in the PNW as well. It's ridiculously hot. I can't wait for tonight's episode

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Haha Japhia. It is! So dang hot.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Well it's 0145 hrs in the UK and about 20 degrees, oops, 68 for you that havenae decimalised yet!! :-P and about 70 percent humidity, chances of sleep...?? meh

message 7: by Amie (new)

Amie Pfeiffer (TheDrownedGoddess) | 249 comments oh my seven Gods

GET HYPE
GET FUCKING HYPE

HOUND ALL OVER ME!!!!

CLEGANEBOWL!!!!

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Amie wrote: "oh my seven Gods

GET HYPE
GET FUCKING HYPE

HOUND ALL OVER ME!!!!

CLEGANEBOWL!!!!"

Hahahahahahahaaaa!!!
Not tonight sister!!!

message 9: by Amie (new)

Amie Pfeiffer (TheDrownedGoddess) | 249 comments Al I needed was to see The Hound and that's all the hype I needed. He's pissed!!

message 10: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Loved seeing "The Houndage"!
I have to say that that this is the first episode that I found mildly disappointing.
Why? I'm not really sure?
Perhaps I was hoping Margery would keep her snarky little secret just a while longer, or that we had been introduced to dastardly little Lady Marmont a long time ago, wow what a gem of a character she is, or maybe a bit more would have been accomplished, as in the last 6 episodes. But it left me feeling cheated somehow!!!.... Blasaaaahhhhh!
No matter...still looking forward to next week.

message 11: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments P.S. Thanks Chris... You know I love you fir this!

message 12: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Eyehavenofilter wrote: "P.S. Thanks Chris... You know I love you fir this!"

;) Always...

I was pleased to see Ian McShane finally. And then he died. Well, damn.

But yes, the Hound coming back was awesome.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Lady Mormont is the bomb dot com. She outshines so many characters in the 5 minutes she was in the screen. Damn fine acting right there. Davos's words were pretty fabulous.

I felt like the balls we had been seeing from Jon suddenly disappeared. I'm guessing Sansa's not seeing him as Stark or defending him is bringing back the low self esteem.

So did Sansa send the letter to Baelish? Aaaand is he already marching on Bolton?

Clegane is back and he's going to kill some folks.

Arya...still turning all of that over in my mind. I'm not sure where all of that is headed. Hmmm @Ben I wish I could discuss all of that with you. I have some thoughts but want to hear yours first. Wondering if we are on the same page.

I hope someone ends House Frey. I'm so sick of them. Jamie, please grow a pair and defend the Blackfish. You're better than this!

Theon and Yara's scene was good. I know that family isn't soft and full of emotion but it was good for them to depict their version of it. Bring back Theon!!!

message 14: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments It's frustrating that Sansa hasn't made any effort to legitimize Jon. It would only strengthen their claim.

Though I guess many would doubt her authority to do so. At least those that know Rickon is still alive, and presumably the heir. Of course I wonder if she won't do it because she wants Rickon to inherit the title himself.

message 15: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments So, ok on 2nd viewing.....the scenery is just visually stunning, where the hell is that castle, anyway, dayum! Yes Lady Mormont is my new fav, as I said above....she stole the whole scene, totally dominating every adult within a mile!!!( that kid has major presence!)And I just realized how much it probably hurt to get "thwacked " across the noggen by Jamie's golden hand, " ouch"!

message 16: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments The Hound.....
An ax....
What could possibly go wrong????

message 17: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments lol...true.

Did y'all notice that scene was before the beginning credits/theme? I was wondering why they went straight in, but once we saw Sandor it made sense. They didn't want the actor's name to show up on the credits and ruin the surprise.

message 18: by mark (last edited Jun 06, 2016 01:36AM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments Yeah the scenery was amazing tonight.

Loved most of it, especially scenes with Margery. Lady Mormont was the best and I guess she was along with the rest of her 62? I thought I saw a girl her age near the ravens. And I've mentioned this before but I still just love how different the show's Yara is from the book. That scene where she wenches with her crew and cuts off Theon's moping by changing it from justice to revenge was just great.

Only thing I didn't really care for was The Waif getting the jump on Arya. has all that training with the league of assassins done nothing for her? I assume she'll stumble into the Player's camp because why else would they hire Richard Grant.

Chris wrote: "Did y'all notice that scene was before the beginning credits/theme? I was wondering why they went straight in, but once we saw Sandor it made sense...."

they so rarely do a cold open that it definitely caught my eye. at first I thought it must be a flashback and I was wondering who the hell McShane was playing. and then HOUND.

message 19: by Ben (last edited Jun 06, 2016 02:29AM) (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Tough love from big sis Theon, it'll do you good, I would say 'man up', but, well... at least you're looking at a life rather than an existence...
The North doesnae look too united, but go Lyanna, Bear Island women rock. Whatever happened to Alysane?
Ian Mcshane, great, after all the furore, shame he only got one episode, reckon, despite his age, he'd've made a better Euron than the muppet they have cast!!
Marge jouer le jeu, quelle surprise but doing it well... also always lovely to watch Olenna rip into Cersei!!
Jaime growing up at last, even if he does think shedding a white cloak makes him a samurai...
Unconvinced by the Arya turn of events, all seemed a little tawdry.
All in all a decentish bridge episode. We were all so excited about it too!! sheesh!!
Hope a cooler day for campdres PNW!!!
All for now, maybe more once I've digested!!

Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun, he say- *SNOW*

message 20: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Ok so....are Theon, Yara, and Arya ALL in Bravos at the same time now?....will they meet up? will they help Arya? Or will she kill Theon for what she thinks he's done? Hmmmm! Interesting plot point hole there, doncha think?
Yara is more of a man than Theon will ever be it seems! Poor kid!
Ya.. I knew it was the waif straight away, I woulda jumped immediately...kasplash!

message 21: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments O ya 1 more ting, so Lady Mormont is little sis to Jorah? Scarey!

message 22: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Eyehavenofilter wrote: "Ok so....are Theon, Yara, and Arya ALL in Bravos at the same time now?....will they meet up? will they help Arya? Or will she kill Theon for what she thinks he's done? Hmmmm! Interesting plot point..."
Theon and Yara are in Volantis neh?

message 23: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Eyehavenofilter wrote: "O ya 1 more ting, so Lady Mormont is little sis to Jorah? Scarey!"
Niece, Maege was his sister...

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments @Ben I still think the Arya theory could happen. If everyone wears faces, how do we know the waif isn't really Arya? And whomever has Arya's face is the real challenge. Can she kill herself? I still like your theory, Ben. I hope it's right. Otherwise poor Arya will need a miracle.

Lady Olenna's lines to Cersei were like watching her breathe fire. It felt good watching that interaction. I was nervously waiting for Cersei to kill her but I think she's too afraid of the HS to have done it.

Now that I've thought about it...Sansa and Jon need someone like Davos to spell it out for them. Until they are a united front, no one will support them. Or at least the ones that do will be few and far between. She ain't validate him because she wants the throne. And she isn't valid due to her past which Jon and Davos could defend if she would be honest with someone. Sigh.

It's just frustrating. It's like watching a high school election in mean girls. Sansa, I was starting to like you but you've really just gone back to your hateful snobby old self. Ugh.
(Had to get that out. /rantover/

message 25: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Jessica wrote: "@Ben I still think the Arya theory could happen. If everyone wears faces, how do we know the waif isn't really Arya? And whomever has Arya's face is the real challenge. Can she kill herself? I stil..."
Aw, glad you like the theory, it just kinda makes sense to me the part of Arya, i.e. anger and hatred that she needs to be rid of to move on. It also explains the perpetual vitriol from the waif.
I don't think sansa wants the throne or cares who has it as long as it's a stark. I think she and Jon jumped in feet first without a plan, march first, plan later. They had no idea having not done inappropriate recce's how divided the North is. And it's taking a pragmatist like Davos, possibly the one character actually better in the show, to hold things together.
Good to see some contrition from sandor. The hate and anger is still there I feel, but very much more focussed, rather than just spleen at the world in general.

message 26: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Thanks for clearing that up Ben....but still she could beat the ever lovin shite outta Jorah the explorah as far as I'm concerned!
All the damned cities are blending together in my mind right now...1000 pardons people....!!! Maybe it was just a Freudian wish fulfillment dream?

message 27: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments But.....i secretly hope that little fireball kills Ramsey, slow and painful like!!!!

message 28: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Eyehavenofilter wrote: "Thanks for clearing that up Ben....but still she could beat the ever lovin shite outta Jorah the explorah as far as I'm concerned!
All the damned cities are blending together in my mind right now....."

Apologies, cousin, Jeor is/was uncle!! godamn families!! No wonder the books are coming in two parts now, apart from publishers after double money, the bloody appendices take up fifty percent of the paper!!

message 29: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments mark wrote: "Yeah the scenery was amazing tonight.

Loved most of it, especially scenes with Margery. Lady Mormont was the best and I guess she was along with the rest of her 62? I thought I saw a girl her age ..."

Mark: About Arya. YES. Seriously how would she let that lady/waif stab her with all the training she has done. I think she's got a master plan and we just don't know it yet? I hope so because if not that just didn't make sense!!!!!!! Infuriating!

message 30: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Agree with Jessica, et al: The Yara & Theon scene was great. Would it take a "little" bit more time for someone to get over something like that? Um, yes, but this is TV so a sped up version was great. Will he be "full Theon" now?! I'm guessing it will be more like 75% :)

Also, the scenery WAS fantastic. Bear Island, wow. Now I can't remember the other places, but it definitely stood out for me as well.

message 31: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Yes this season is just jam packed with eye candy no doubt! But the snippets for next week have me worried 'bout our dear Poderick, it doesn't look good!

message 32: by Ben (new)

Ben Knight | 316 comments Maureen wrote: "mark wrote: "Yeah the scenery was amazing tonight.

Loved most of it, especially scenes with Margery. Lady Mormont was the best and I guess she was along with the rest of her 62? I thought I saw a ..."

The arya/waif thing does fit with my theory!! I'm probably way way off the mark, but I'm sticking to my guns, and have others intrigued too now!!

message 33: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 59 comments Did arya sell needle for a voyage home?

message 34: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments BTW: Trivia: Lena Heady and ( damn forgot his name again) High Sparrow starred together in "The Brothers Grimm" along with Heath Ledger and Matt Damon back in 2005, I wonder how that reunion went? Yes I know....yawn.....

message 35: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Ben, I love the theory.....but I think its way far above 90% of the genera viewing public and would only confuse them!....DOH!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Same could be said of Hodor though. It confused people but we all ate it up and thought it was brilliant in the end. Why? Because that's Martin's writing and why we love it.

All I'm saying is it's possible and makes sense. She's under tutorship of people who are faceless and gave many faces. She may have already shed her own to become "no one" only fitting if her final task was to defeat herself.

message 37: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Ben wrote: "Maureen wrote: "mark wrote: "Yeah the scenery was amazing tonight.

Loved most of it, especially scenes with Margery. Lady Mormont was the best and I guess she was along with the rest of her 62? I ..."

I guess you are right and it does. I am kind of confused as to how it will all play out on the screen though. I was imagining, if it played out like your theory, that it would get wrapped up into 1 episode... Feels like it would be less confusing! But Jessica you are right and we all understood what happened to Hodor even though that was pretty involved!

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments I get excited about the theorizing. I have missed it so oh oh oh oh. And I like this theory better than her just randomly/miraculously overcoming a (usually) fatal wound.

Plus @Ben has good theories and I'm usually on the same wavelength. I gotta show my support and persuade the masses!

The real question is:
Arya and Lyanna Mormont in battle...who would win?

message 39: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Ooo ooo good question Jessica! It's giving me a pleasant tingly hradache just thinking about that one! I'd love to see more of Little Lady Mormont! (' specially if she dispatches Ramsey in some unpleasantly painful manner!) one can dream......
my question about the other issue is, why would the waif try and book passage to Wrsteros?
Or did Arya switch faces after that? I'm not totally convinced, but I do like the premise. I'm still waiting for the scene that I saw on utube that they needed a stunt double for Masie Williams. That should clear up all this conjecture. This one is giving me a migraine.

message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments I don't think it was Arya.....There is another person who needs to go incognito and get out of Braavos really fast and that is the actress who paid to have Lady Crane killed. I should think as an actress she'd also know something about acrobatics and she'd have money. Did she go back to the H of B&W to get her money back and Jaqen gave her a 'new' identity, hence she wonders about Braavos as if she hasn't got a worry in the world. She has the money to buy a cabin for herself & she's behaving a bit like a diva, only a cabin will do for her!...Does that sound like Arya?...Later she is shocked when she is stabbed, she pushes the waif and jumps into the river....later she wanders the streets bleeding with a look of 'what? Why, why was I stabbed?'....Arya would know and so would Jaqen and the girl did not have Needle...Arya would not go without Needle....Plus that wound is a death wound, the waif twisted the knife in her gut...But in the trailer we see Arya leaping from tall buildings in episode 8.....

If it is a dream sequence, then it's a waste, and to my mind, really, really lame of D&D to go for shock & awe over quality.

Onto Sansa.....Sansa to Lyanna Mormont, 'oh you will grow into a great beauty'....Spare me! Sansa this is not Kings Landing. I loved that girl, what an actor, she stole that scene! Why haven't they bought in this girl before this? She and Arya would be BFF's....Then Sansa bitches about Davos....Umm how many troops has Sansa bought forth? ZERO!.....I am tired of the writers never getting Sansa's character right...Sansa is strong, but again, she is coming across as an idiot.....Sansa may not wield a sword, but she has a brain, she's intelligent....C'mon Dan & Dave get Sansa right for once! Arrrgghhhhhh!

Loved the Olenna/Cersei faceoff....and foreshadowing 'what are you going to do, kill them all?' Cersei is going to use wildfire in the Sept..I just hope Margaery escapes......

Sandor is BACK....But I wish we'd been given more character build up with him and Ian McShane aka Ray....But I pray we don't get Cleganebowl because Sandor will not against his monster brother...let him go north and help the Stark girls or will he run into Arya.....

All in all.....I rate it a 6 out of 10.....

message 41: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Rebecca wrote: "I don't think it was Arya.....There is another person who needs to go incognito and get out of Braavos really fast and that is the actress who paid to have Lady Crane killed. I should think as an a..."

I love this theory. She was acting rather weird, and I like this better than to just blame D&D for being shit at writing Arya all of a sudden.

I agree on Sansa too. Sophie Turner is seriously bringing it, and they keep giving her lame directions. Almost like their trying to underwhelm her acting. She had such command when she called out Glover, then fizzled out....

message 42: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments Maureen wrote: "Mark: About Arya. YES. Seriously how would she let that lady/waif stab her with all the training she has done. I think she's got a master plan and we just don't know it yet? I hope so because if not that just didn't make sense!!!!!!! Infuriating!..."

yeah, very frustrating! the only reason I can think of would be it leads her to the actors rather than the ship that she can pay for.

message 43: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments I do love theorizing too. I went on a binge last summer reading theory after theory in my GOT withdrawal phase!

I am wondering what Ramsay is up to.. We haven't checked in with him for 2 episodes! I can't imagine he is just waiting patiently for Jon to answer his letter at Winterfell with Rickon in the dungeon... :(

message 44: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments Maureen wrote: "I am wondering what Ramsay is up to.. We haven't checked in with him for 2 episodes! ..."

I've appreciated the break! also the break from those snakes.

message 45: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments Chris wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I don't think it was Arya.....There is another person who needs to go incognito and get out of Braavos really fast and that is the actress who paid to have Lady Crane killed. I shou..."

Thank you, I watched it twice & immediately thought of that young actress, also she was 'acting Westerosi' even down to copying Ned's hairstyle(did she get that from the play?) & the fact that she almost demanded to have a cabin, like a diva....So yeah I'm sticking with my theory, though next week I'll probably be proved wrong lol......

After all the hype, I am disappointed with Sansa & the way the writers have portrayed her. This is not Sophie's fault as she is a fine actress, it is the writing. When she met Littlefinger, why didn't she demand he & his Vale soldiers take the Vanguard in the coming war with the Boltons, after all, it may be the only time she had Baelish caught off guard and if he had refused then have Brienne kill him & hide the body....Meanwhile Sansa reaches out to SweetRobin for help & if questions are asked, she could've just shrugged her shoulders & say she never saw him....Yohn Royce is certainly not going to ask questions & Robin is rather simple minded.

There was so much potential here to truly have Sansa make her mark, instead she prances around like a damn fool, threatening Glover with what? A wet feather?!...Why didn't she say that this is his chance to avenge his family for all the cruelties' he & his family had suffered at the hands of the Boltons and then tell him that the Vale soldiers were on the Stark side.....I feel for Sophie because I really feel that she does give 100% to her character, but the writing is abysmal......

Why can't the producers & writers think of this? Instead they have her now going cap in hand to Littlefinger...My own thoughts, that her destiny is linked to Littlefinger.......

"And this same maid will slaya Giant in a castle made of snow."....Which castle is this?....The Eyrie......

message 46: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Rebecca: https://mic.com/articles/145390/the-r...

That article might back up your ideas...

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments Chris wrote: "Rebecca: https://mic.com/articles/145390/the-r...

That articl..."

I hadn't read this theory before....I just thought of my own theory while watching it a second time.

The only thing I would disagree with is, why would Arya fluff about with 'fooling the Waif'....The last time we see Arya she is wearing a dress and blowing out the candle....Then we see her paying her way to Braavos, but basically demanding a cabin for herself...this is not how Arya behaves.....I still think it is the younger actress who paid for Lady Crane to be murdered.....They say it costs a lot of money to hire the FM....the FArya threw the captain two bags of coins......and I'm sure she wouldn't arrive in Westeros broke, so she probably has even more money.....Also I noted the hairstyle, it like Ned's in the play...the young actress was 'acting Westerosi' when in fact she isn't......

So my money is still on that young actress who played Sansa in the Mummer Farce......but we'll see.....lol

message 48: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments This is why at the very beginning of this thread I said" This is the first episode I found mildly disappointing, why, I don't know?"
Now I know....things just didn't add up...too many plot holes...too many characters stepping on their own tongues, and basic beliefs.
Hopefully next week Jon will pull his testicles out of his pocket, Sansa will have bitch slapped herself awake, Arya will have BBQ"ed the waif, The Hound will have had enough anger management training to not go on a total rampage, and Cercie has the good sense to get out of Dodge! But this Westeros and some things are just not meant to be!

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments As said before, I'm a fan of the Arya theory but I do think it's been going longer than what we viewed during the last episode. Either way she's not who we've thought she is and her training will make for some interesting revenge. Pick a face and kill!

The Sansa stuff has bothered me for a while. As soon as they put her in Ramsey's story, they ruined her character. But I had hoped that were quickly shot down by the way she handled Baelish. And now her dealings with various houses to get help...It's just unfortunate.

I will say I think there is some point to her poor judgement in the past episode. I feel like they were trying to show how unprepared her and Jon were for this. They were not on a united front. They didn't know how to appeal to the people they were trying to coax. Why?
Let's look at a few things:
Jon has been removed from banner men, houses and everything with it for a while. He thinks like wildlings now...like Davos. There is a bigger threat than silly house wars; wildlings! But he hasn't been counseled in dealing with these houses. He needs to remember some things which is where Davos will become a bigger piece of the puzzle. Plus Sansa's constant reminding him he isn't a Stark and taking the side of other houses... He's right back where he was when he first chose the Night's Watch. She asked him to help, called him a Stark only to throw his past back in his face when in front of people who matter. Hell if lose my confidence too! He needs to remember who he was at Night's Watch and channel that.

Sansa is her mother. A part of me thinks she just really wants the throne and is threatened by the fact that Jon could take it? She changed her tune to quickly with him for me not to see it that way. She thinks everyone should remain loyal because of her name. But it's not her name anymore. She needs to unite on the dislike of Ramsey not on supporting her. It's her lack of knowledge in this instance that has just her. She doesn't understand politics or war and never has. She's trying to step up to the plate to bat but has never even seen a baseball...of course she's going to fail.

Just my opinion though

message 50: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Well put Jessica, neither one of them has really played the " Game of Thrones" in any real arena, they've both been rather sheltered., in comparison to...oh lets say Tyrion who grew up playing it to stay alive!
However, there's alot I catching up to do, and very little time in which to get it done!

« previous 1