The Readers discussion

Summer read along

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments Good morning :-)
Does anyone want to do a Summer read-along? Are you planning to do something on The Readers Simon and Thomas?

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ A summer read along sounds nice. Let me know what you are thinking about reading.

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments I have a few suggestions :-)
Unformed Landscape by Peter Stamm
The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane
The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons

message 4: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Let me see what is available at my library or to purchase. I'll let you know.

message 5: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments After hearing about The Night Guest on Simon's blog, that its the one that would interest me the most.

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Oooh interesting idea. As I will be staying with Thomas in August we could have the final show recorded there. How do you guys see it working?

message 7: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I think a discussion of the book would be interesting, along with some listener questions or commentary.

message 8: by Jubilana (new)

Jubilana | 9 comments Interested in the Night Guest as well
Great idea of course to have a read along for The Readers!

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments Sounds like a great idea :-) should we go for The Night Guest ?(and oooo I love the cover :-) )

message 10: by Jubilana (new)

Jubilana | 9 comments So, two votes for the Night Guest? Exciting!

message 11: by Elizabeth☮ (last edited Jun 05, 2014 12:16PM) (new)

Elizabeth☮ Louise,

Will you let us know what book and the date we need to complete it? I need to get my summer reading schedule coordinated. Thanks.

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments Right then! :-) What date are you planning to record Simon? Then we could finish reading The Night Guest a few days before

message 13: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Hey guys sorry not been in touch. I have been I. final weeks of planning a two month long 400 event festival which is on from now until July. So ideally we would have to record this after July. Maybe when I am staying with Thomas at the end of August?

message 14: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ That sounds like a good timeline. Can we start a separate thread for the book?

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments So the book should be finished by August 20th?

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments Contrary to my nature, I have agreed to actually read this book. Fingers crossed.

message 17: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments And by this book, I mean The Night Guest.

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments yay Thomas :-)

message 19: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments I have requested the book via ILL from my library and hopefully will have it in plenty of time prior to August. Looking forward to this!

message 20: by Jubilana (new)

Jubilana | 9 comments Thomas wrote: "Contrary to my nature, I have agreed to actually read this book. Fingers crossed."
Sound of applause from Sydney Australia!! Did my heart good to read this, Thomas

message 21: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments I bought a copy of The Night Guest this week. Oddly, my local indie only had remainder copies of the UK edition. And it had a hard to remove sticker on it argh. Good thing it was half price. Started reading it this afternoon. Seems promising.

message 22: by Jubilana (new)

Jubilana | 9 comments Not the dreaded sticker from Room 101. What were they thinking?
A listen to The Readers episode would fix that.

message 23: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments I just picked up my copy from the library. It is an ILL, so I only have two weeks to read it and then back it must go. I will try to make notes so I remember a month and a half from now what I read.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate | 51 comments I ordered a copy from an Independent Bookstore and it is on back order, but by the time I receive it, I should be able to dive right in!

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue | 25 comments Caught wind of this on Twitter. I read the sample on my iPad awhile back and was ready for more. I'll be ordering a sad, non-UK, not gorgeous paperback to take to the Cape at the end of August. I may have to read it on the drive up since we'll be there the last week. Fun!

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 92 comments I am going to try the audio version.

message 27: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I am half way through The Night Guest and really intrigued by the tension between Ruth and Frida.

message 28: by Ruthiella (last edited Jul 11, 2014 05:28PM) (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I am half way through The Night Guest and really intrigued by the tension between Ruth and Frida."

I finished it in June (had to return it to the library). I agree, the tension in the book is palpable.

message 29: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I finished this one the other day. Wow! I am eager to discuss this and hear everyone's thoughts.

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments We might try and have some of you actually on the episode, if we can work out the tech issues, etc. in any case we want your questions and comments about The Night Guest. So send a PRIVATE message to THOMAS via Goodreads or Twitter or my email onmyporch (at) hotmail (dot) com. I will collect all your questions and comments between now and Aug 25th so we can discuss when we record the episode.

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments Sounds great Thomas :-)

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) Will give it a try, just requested it from the library.

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate | 51 comments Finished it! I will email you Thomas in a day or so as I need to get my thoughts in cohesive order. I could just write about and ask about this book for hours!

message 34: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments Good to know Kate. I will be on the looks out. Is everyone else planning to finish by 8/20?

message 35: by Jubilana (new)

Jubilana | 9 comments Certainly is my aim. Good to have a date set since it motivates me through TBR collection

message 36: by Gail (new)

Gail | 17 comments I read this novel several months ago and I am looking forward to the discussion. Life is hard and the human spirit can be so fragile.

message 37: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments I start my vacation on friday, so I plan to read the book next week :-)

message 38: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I am finished, but I need to get my thoughts to be coherent before I email you.

message 39: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 68 comments I agree, The Night Guest sounds great!