Gail Carriger Fan Group discussion

Prudence (The Custard Protocol, #1)
This topic is about Prudence
Prudence Read-Along 2016 (OVER) > Prudence Read-Along: Chapters 5-8 (+ Imprudence Giveaway)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skye (Skye's Scribblings) (last edited Jun 25, 2016 09:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye (Skye's Scribblings) | 241 comments Mod
DON'T FORGET TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAYS!! You could win an ARC of Prudence, a hardcover of Imprudence, and Carriger buttons!

Welcome to the second review in the PRUDENCE READ-ALONG, hosted here and on Skye's Scribblings! (For information on the Read-Along, see the Introduction post here.) Below are my brief thoughts on this week's chapters, as well as a Q&A with the author and yet another giveaway, this time for a finished copy of the sequel, Imprudence!

This week we read CHAPTERS 5-8.

WHAT HAPPENED:

After an unconventional run-in with a mysterious lioness and two even more mysterious women at the exotic Maltese Tower, the Spotted Custard proceeds to India where they dock and attend a garden party. There they make intriguing acquaintances, engage in cryptic conversations, and receive a curious communication, and upon returning to the ship discover a surprise visitor...

MY THOUGHTS ON...

Settings: Hodgepodge docking ports such as the Maltese Tower are one of my favorite settings! While the Tower had its historical elements, it reminded me more of something out of science fiction with its patchwork construction and cultural melting pot. I also loved how exotic the excitement was at the Tower as well, with its rampant lioness and women in robes and teahouse in the rough. I'd actually forgotten about the Tower from my previous read until right before they arrived and really enjoyed rediscovering it all over again.

Plot: Rue's misunderstandings and misinterpretations of discussions with new acquaintances was initially amusing but essentially a bit frustrating. It's easy to tell they are speaking of something rather different and usually more important, but Rue refuses to really acknowledge it or just brushes it off in favor of her own amusement. While it makes for fun dialogue at the time, it feels as though it is impeding the plot flow a bit.

FAVORITE...

Character: A tie between Spoo and Virgil. Both, especially when together, are a pure delight to read.

Scene: Sidheag's introduction. The playful familial banter was such fun, and she has always been a favorite through the series. A close second is the garden party as a whole with its tea espionage, mistaken identity, multiple intriguing introductions, and peppered curry.

Quote:

"Ah, to be young and agile again," said Primrose.
"We were never that young," replied Rue.
"More to the point, we were never that agile," said Prim with a soft smile.

"But...sparkles," said Prim forlornly.

Much as Percy was deadly attractive to the ladies, his sister had a similar effect on the gentlemen. Rue gave a little mental sigh. No one would ever describe her as deadly attractive. She brightened a bit. Perhaps she could aspire to just deadly?

One could not blame a people for disliking vampires. Vampires were like Brussels sprouts - not for everyone and impossible to improve upon with sauce. There were even those in London who disapproved of Dama, and he was very saucy indeed.

>>So what were your thoughts on Chapters 5-8? Join the discussion below or Comment on the blog post here!<<

NEXT (6/26 - 7/2) WE READ CHAPTERS 9-12

-----

A QUESTION WITH GAIL CARRIGER

Q. What are some of the things that you got to do / explore in Prudence that you didn’t or couldn’t in your previous series?

A. Issues of colonialism, imperialism, and colonization. This is my first real opportunity to question British behavior, or (more precisely) to have my characters travel far enough out of their safe upper crust worldview to start questioning themselves and their Empire.

> AUTHOR GIVEAWAY

In honor of the Read-Along, Ms Gail has generously donated two signed Prudence ARCs!! As these would be a special addition to any Carriger fan collection, this giveaway will be open to Gail Carriger Fan Group Members only. (US addresses only though, apologies International fans!) Want an ARC for your collection? Just be or become a Fan Group member and join the read-along discussion!

ENTER GIVEAWAY HERE

> BLOG GIVEAWAY

And don't forget I'm also holding a giveaway on Skye's Scribblings for a Carriger button set, which you can enter HERE .

But that's not all - the publisher (thank you, Orbit!) has generously donated a finished copy of Book 2 in The Custard Protocol, Imprudence, which releases July 19th! To win, just fill in the extra entry on the Rafflecopter form and continue to join the Prudence discussion!

Important Giveaways Note: If you post your discussion comments here, your single post link can be entered into both giveaway forms - you don't have to post both here and the blog, or do more than one post. (Unless you want to, of course! ;)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 4 comments I have to agree with you on the plot.

Rue’s misunderstandings and misinterpretations of discussions with new acquaintances was initially amusing but essentially a bit frustrating. It's easy to tell they are speaking of something rather different and usually more important, but Rue refuses to really acknowledge it or just brushes it off in favor of her own amusement. While it makes for fun dialogue at the time, it feels as though it is impeding the plot flow a bit.

It makes me wonder is she is doing this on purpose as a means for espionage or if she simply is not willing to see anything more.

Again, this is my first read so I am not sure how this will all pan out. I would assume that being raised by Dama and by how the book opens with her getting the snuff box that she is well versed in spycraft and secrets. It didn’t occur to me that she might be brushing it off in favor of amusement but I definitely feel that it is impeding the plot flow.

I am really excited about the lioness and Sekhmet

Sidheag meeting Rue was the best and I loved that she was just over the conversation and the nonanswers when Professor Lyall steps up.
The vampire Brussels sprouts comparison was probably my favorite.

I am trying to read the chapters weekly for the read alone and it was really hard to stop for this one because I feel like the Spotted Custard crew is about to get into a bit of mischief or actual trouble that will take a bit of finesse to get out of.

Nicqui | 125 comments The Spotted Custard Crew were really my favourites. Rue is a bit trying more often than not, for me. But Carriger has a way with supporting characters. I really become quite attached to her background characters, even more so than the protagonist, more often than not, with the possible exception of Sophronia who is hands-down my favourite.

I look forward to seeing more from the crew as their antics take them into Imprudence.

Melissa (veruna) | 49 comments Nicqui wrote: "The Spotted Custard Crew were really my favourites. Rue is a bit trying more often than not, for me. But Carriger has a way with supporting characters. I really become quite attached to her backgro..."

Yes! This exactly how I feel about Rue and her crew. Luckily Iss Carriger is so adept at supporting characters and wield building that I really don't mind when the main character us less than agreeable to me.

And Sophronia is top notch! I wish I had more in the Finishing School set to read. I'm so glad she's writing novellas so we can see some of those characters again. :)

message 5: by Min (new)

Min (beeblebrox000) | 2 comments This is my first time reading Prudence. I'm just wondering if the lioness is actually a were-lioness? Is she Miss Sekhmet in animal form?

It's good to see professor Lyall again. He's one of my favourites.

Skye (Skye's Scribblings) | 241 comments Mod
Min wrote: "This is my first time reading Prudence. I'm just wondering if the lioness is actually a were-lioness? Is she Miss Sekhmet in animal form?

It's good to see professor Lyall again. He's one of my fav..."

Min: Just keep reading and you'll find out! ;) I really enjoyed seeing Lyall again too, he's one of my favorites as well - I hope we see even more of him in Imprudence!

Nicqui | 125 comments @Melissa,

This exactly. I don't really need the main character to be completely likeable or even the best character as long as the supporting characters are fun and interesting. I can't tolerate when the main characters are rubbish though. It reminds me of when I read Harry Potter - Harry isn't my favourite, but I didn't hate him - the supporting characters more than made up for what Harry was lacking.

Sophronia is really a peach. I love the fact that we're getting more from that series, even if it is them in their adult lives and it might take a while. I get the feeling that (view spoiler).

Melissa (veruna) | 49 comments @nicqui I hope you're right with that spoiler! I'd love to see how it plays out. :)

Nicqui | 125 comments @Melissa,

We don't know how many novellas there will be but since they started with Preahea it's safe to guess that we'll get one about Agatha and Dimity as well. We already know how Sidheag's life turns out from Parasol. It's safe to guess that Sophronia will be last because she's the main character and because (view spoiler). Anyway, this is all hope and speculation because I would dearly love to see Sophronia, Phineas and Felix again.