Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > June (2016) New Releases

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Link to Goodreads Most Popular Books Published In June 2016 List is below.
(Top 200 books published in June 2016 that people have added on Goodreads)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/popula...

Will you be reading any new releases this month?

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Thoughts: I really need to catch up on The Passage trilogy and the Temeraire series; HAVE to read Mary Roach's latest - regardless of my feelings of the subject, her books always have me laughing out loud; Time Heals No Wounds sound good

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5834 comments Mod
There are quite a few that I'm interested in this month. I just started The City of Mirrors, which is the final book in The Passage trilogy. I am starting All the Missing Girls tonight or tomorrow. I can't wait to get to End of Watch, which is the final book in the Bill Hodges Trilogy.

I am interested in these as well, but don't know when I'll get to them:
You Know Me Well
Lily and the Octopus
The Girls in the Garden

And not on my TBR, but maybe:
Ink and Bone
Missing, Presumed
Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet
A House for Happy Mothers

thewanderingjew | 96 comments Kristie wrote: "There are quite a few that I'm interested in this month. I just started The City of Mirrors, which is the final book in The Passage trilogy. I am starting [book:All the Missing Girl..."

I would be curious to know what you thought of "The City of Mirrors". I loved the first two in the series, but I couldn't even finish this one. After listening to over 7hours of the book, far more when you consider that I zoned out and fell asleep during the audio so many times, I had to backtrack and re-listen to a number of the segments. My husband and I both gave up, although we had been looking forward to listening to it on our long drives from place to place.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments thewanderingjew wrote: "Kristie wrote: "There are quite a few that I'm interested in this month. I just started The City of Mirrors, which is the final book in The Passage trilogy. I am starting [book:All ..."

That's too bad. I loved The Passage but have yet to read book 2.

message 6: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I can't wait for End of Watch as well and I am curious about All the Missing Girls.
There are others that I will be interested to see how others liked them. I am trying to keep my TBR list in control. Ok, maybe not IN control, but...

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

thewanderingjew wrote: "Kristie wrote: "There are quite a few that I'm interested in this month. I just started The City of Mirrors, which is the final book in The Passage trilogy. I am starting [book:All ..."

Oh...that's not a good sign at all. I have both the ebook and audio, so hopefully I find it more engaging.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "thewanderingjew wrote: "Kristie wrote: "There are quite a few that I'm interested in this month. I just started The City of Mirrors, which is the final book in The Passage trilogy. ..."

I think the second book was a little confusing at times, but still good. It also had some possible triggers for people. I loved the first book and read the second one right after.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Vicki wrote: "I can't wait for End of Watch as well and I am curious about All the Missing Girls.
There are others that I will be interested to see how others liked them. I am tr..."

hahaha.... ah yes, the out-of-control TBR. I have one of those. :)

message 10: by thewanderingjew (new)

thewanderingjew | 96 comments Kristie wrote: "thewanderingjew wrote: "Kristie wrote: "There are quite a few that I'm interested in this month. I just started The City of Mirrors, which is the final book in The Passage trilogy. ..."

Try the print copy first. I love Scott Brick as a narrator, but in this audio, he simply put me to sleep.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I think I'm going to use both depending on what I'm doing.

message 12: by Janina (last edited Jun 05, 2016 05:15PM) (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I just finished City of Mirrors today and I truly loved it. A wonderful conclusion to the trilogy! However, I do think the books have a shift within them which I'm sure my husband e.g. wouldn't like all that much .. the first being mostly pure horror (a la Stephen King), the second more of a Sci-fi dystopia with a dash of horror and this last one a book of fiction with a dash of sci-fi/horror. It's in a way more about history and humans than virals and disaster.

Anyways .. I'm planning to re-read all three of them together maybe next year as I'm certain it's an even better reading experience. It did take me a bit to get back into the story and its characters. And, it's a slow burning one ... without much happening for the first 300 pages or so. I don't think it's a good one for audio because of that and the many shifts in time/perspective, but I'm not a fan of being read to in general.

Sighs .. I can't believe it's over. Almost has me wishing this were the future ...

message 13: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Apart from City of Mirrors, I want to read The Long Cosmos eventually (still haven't read the second in the series) and I've been wanting to start The Red Queen's war for a while now. Maybe, I'll read the first book soon ...

Others that sound interesting to me:

Age of Myth
The Butterfly Garden (maybe?)
Homegoing (definitely)

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I didn't realize that The Night Stalker was the sequel for The Girl in the Ice. It's not on my list (yet), but I own The Girl in the Ice, so I may add it after I read the first one. That was really quick for book 2 come out!

message 15: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I think The Girl In The Ice is $.99 today on Book Gorilla.

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh, I think I missed that Before the Fall was a June release. I'm interested in that one too. Good month for new releases!

The Girls seems to have generated a lot of interest on GR, but I think I'm going to skip that one. The blurb doesn't really seem like something I'd love.

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Anything by Mary Roach is a must-read for me! They are hilarious and educational!